2024, hoodwink and bamboozle the public

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

2024, hoodwink and bamboozle the public

Post by Hoboh » Thu May 23, 2024 5:02 pm

Here we go, ruin early summer (if it ever gets started)
Sod the election bring on the revolution.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: 2024, hoodwink and bamboozle the public

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 24, 2024 12:32 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 5:02 pm
Here we go, ruin early summer (if it ever gets started)
Sod the election bring on the revolution.
When we said people were getting hoodwinked and bamboozled, we were told that was a serious underestimation about their intelligence and how could we possible dare to suggest they didn't know what they were voting for,

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 24, 2024 4:17 pm

It'll probably get worse. Time is the enemy. Everything we built in our era is either falling down or in need of expensive maintenance and the very thought of it has the investors running to get their money out; that's why so many M and S and co etc type shops are empty. Bolton is a shining example. Pirates don't wear frock coats and three cornered hats and have monkeys on their shoulders any more; they're called politicians they wear expensive suits and we provide the monkeys. Yo, ho,ho, vote for me...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 24, 2024 4:44 pm

I suspect TD, the larger reason shops are closing is because they're not competitve vs lower cost internet clothes. I mean, some of the internet stores close, because they can't remain competitive so what chance when you have rent, rates, utilities etc?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 24, 2024 8:04 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 4:17 pm
It'll probably get worse. Time is the enemy. Everything we built in our era is either falling down or in need of expensive maintenance and the very thought of it has the investors running to get their money out; that's why so many M and S and co etc type shops are empty. Bolton is a shining example. Pirates don't wear frock coats and three cornered hats and have monkeys on their shoulders any more; they're called politicians they wear expensive suits and we provide the monkeys. Yo, ho,ho, vote for me...
Mainly because your generation have consistently voted for not investing in public services or infrastructure and voted for parties who promised funnelling more and more money to shareholders and the world’s richest.

It’s not hard to explain. We’ve got exactly what we voted for (though I never voted for it!).

And worthy is right - the problem is capitalism itself. Yet we’ve ended up with a political system where you can only win if you are friends with capitalism. Because we’ve voted for the party most aligned to the idea that protecting the wealthiest is the only way.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 24, 2024 10:38 pm

My already militant anti-landlordism has taken a turn this week. Last summer post Liz Truss shit show I had to move house because the landlord wanted to put the rent up by 25%. Had to move out of central London and still pay more than I was. Shit, but that's modern Britain.

When making an offer for this place (now a thing you have to do to even rent) we mentioned we were looking to move somewhere long term. C*nt took the money, and now 8 months later has exercised the break clause and so we're f*cked and have to move house again. £25k down the swanee for nothing, and still some feck* can tell you your home isn't yours anymore.

Come the revolution I don't have any unrealistic visions about being a poet or an artisan.

I will take great job satisfaction in putting a bullet in the head of 40 landlords an hour. Day in, day out.

Maybe a ham sandwich for lunch.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 24, 2024 10:44 pm

Which is a long about way of saying f*ck this shower of c*nuts. On their arse well overdue. Finally we can get the competent grown ups in. Politics is complicated and lots of the big problems have macro, global causes blah blah but having the ones who do their launch inside when it's raining is a fecking start.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 24, 2024 11:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 8:04 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mainly because your generation have consistently voted for not investing in public services or infrastructure and voted for parties who promised funnelling more and more money to shareholders and the world’s richest.
"your Generation? " I was six years old when World War II ended and lived in a working class world. I served five years on apprentice wages and retired at 70 years of age. In that time has there ever been a government that was totally for the people?
Don't "your generation" me mate, it's been going on for a century and still is. If you have the answer, why not stand for M.P. ?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 25, 2024 10:50 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 11:15 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
"your Generation? " I was six years old when World War II ended and lived in a working class world. I served five years on apprentice wages and retired at 70 years of age. In that time has there ever been a government that was totally for the people?
Don't "your generation" me mate, it's been going on for a century and still is. If you have the answer, why not stand for M.P. ?
Agree TD. There's been pretty much 3 chunks of government the last 44 years. 2 Tory, 1 Labour. Both sets of politics and policies have broadly been the same, with tinkering differences.

In that time corporate profits have increased 13-fold -spare cash (that they're willing to tell you about) after they've paid for everything, including buying their shares back, so they can flog 'em again, whilst stiffing the tax payer on paying tax.

Wages in that time have gone up, 6-times, offset by inflation roughly 4 times and house prices (excluding mortgage rates) 12 times.

We're told we have no money, but it's pretty easy to show where it's gone.

We were told, back in the 80's the free-markets were the solution, hence Pru's landlord problem.

We sold all our social housing, mainly in the 80's, but continuing after 97. We're now bemoaning the housing stock.

We privatized rail, for a better service paid for by investors, yet the tax payer subsidises it. £11bn in 22/23, for a shit service.

Fossil fuel and green fuel £80bn and £60bn since 2015.

Energy, we subsidized more than anyone but Greece in the fuel crises and still ended up with a higher cap than many European countries. France heavily subsidised and took cash off French EDF, the largest UK provider. We effectively subsidised France. You could not make this shit up.

Water, they rip us off to pay a shitload of dividends to Australians then bleat they don't have enough money to cover the next budget round, unless they get some eye-watering increases and our water is full of shit.

They aren't going to make this a whole lot better with either party. It is truly pick your least shit option.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat May 25, 2024 11:13 am

^ Amen

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat May 25, 2024 1:46 pm

Oh, I forgot...: Starmer thinks sixteen year olds are the answer to our problems...Well, I suppose that's one way to get your voting numbers up....Cor,,, :shock:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 25, 2024 1:56 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 1:46 pm
Oh, I forgot...: Starmer thinks sixteen year olds are the answer to our problems...Well, I suppose that's one way to get your voting numbers up....Cor,,, :shock:
If you can be working at 16 (I was 17 coz I didn't go to Uni until later). You're paying taxes. You pay tax, you should be entitled to say how and who spends it.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat May 25, 2024 2:04 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 1:56 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 1:46 pm
You pay tax, you should be entitled to say how and who spends it.
Exactly the argument I use when I hear folk bemoan young folk voting. If you're contributing to society then you should have a say in that society and how it is run. If anyone is concerned about maturity then you have to ask how mature the solutions many 'mature' voters are voting for. I'm voting Tory to get rid of the forriners that don't speak English cos they're nicking my job is a classic :roll:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat May 25, 2024 3:00 pm

Hm. Well, just cast your minds back to when you were 16 years old. Me, I wasn't making too much sense back then. I'm almost 85 now and still don't have an answer; at 16 I thought those you voted for were supposed to be able to provide it. Took me quite a while to, realise it was all a Punch and Judy show and we were just the audience. Whack.."that's the way to do it!" :wink:

ae:) ae:)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat May 25, 2024 3:20 pm

Tango, if younger folk are voting for things like an end to university fees and older folk are voting for triple lock pensions what is the difference? Might not make sense to each other, but they are valid things for each to vote for. I'd vote for different things now than I would 30 years ago, and I'm guessing different again to another 30 years if I'm still here. Priorities and views change as we age, but it shouldn't diminish the views we might once have shared with younger folk.

It all goes back to if we deem you old enough to work, pay taxes, serve in the military and even get married, then why shouldn't we expect people to be able to vote? Are we really saying you can join up at say 17 and get blown up an IED in Afghanistan but you're too young to vote against the politicians that put you there in the first place?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 25, 2024 3:22 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 3:00 pm
Hm. Well, just cast your minds back to when you were 16 years old. Me, I wasn't making too much sense back then. I'm almost 85 now and still don't have an answer; at 16 I thought those you voted for were supposed to be able to provide it. Took me quite a while to, realise it was all a Punch and Judy show and we were just the audience. Whack.."that's the way to do it!" :wink:

ae:) ae:)
^^ Most folks, spend and entire lifetime not making much sense. Some of them try to run a country. There isn't a sense test for any voters. I mean some people older than 18, voted for Brexit to control immigration - how's that going for them? 🤣🤣🤣

Cast your mind back, we're you say, twice as politacally and macro-econmically savvy at 18? I know I wasn't mate, so it's "pick your wrong number." :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 26, 2024 8:04 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 11:15 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Who voted for Thatcher free market economics left to run rampant (politically the root cause of the situation today)? Wasn’t me. I was on bloody marches at the time protesting against the idea.

Who voted for Brexit the single biggest compounding move we’ve made that whilst not contributing directly to the problem has left us more exposed to it than ever and weaker than economically and globally.

The moments in history where politicians like thatcher like Johnson have promoted the idea of person greed over the collective have led us down this road.

Worthy is maybe broadly correct that we’d be here anyway but every choice we’ve made has basically led us here quicker.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 26, 2024 9:19 am

Compulsory national service? ....Do we have enough guns to go round? "Attention, get your hair cut.."....The madness goes on.. :shock:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun May 26, 2024 11:54 am

The dying breaths of a pointless government. Going to be a massacre. Good, they deserve to be wiped out.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun May 26, 2024 12:19 pm

If sixteen is old enough to vote then they are old enough to be treated like adults, I.e.
Stop withholding the names of the criminals, adult jail time, stop referring to them as 'children' or in some warped minds, babies.
Someone please tell me what a 16yo has a clue about what is going on in the world with real issues other than what Thicktok tells them?
If anything, voting should be raised to twenty-one again.
Given that most are in further education or simply unemployed, just where are these masses of tax paying youth?
Labour's plan to stay in power, nothing else, worked for the SNP so they want a go.