Peter Crouch - an apology

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Peter Crouch - an apology

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:20 pm

To go along with the Owen Hargreaves thread.

If I was Crouch, I would be really pxssed off! He worked his socks off during the WC and did everything that was asked of him, only to be dropped for a 70% fit thug! Even when he came on yesterday he was running his socks off trying to make something happen.

Credit were it's due, along with Hargreaves Crouch's attitude and performances have certainly changed my opinion of him.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Peter Crouch - an apology

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:35 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:To go along with the Owen Hargreaves thread.

If I was Crouch, I would be really pxssed off! He worked his socks off during the WC and did everything that was asked of him, only to be dropped for a 70% fit thug! Even when he came on yesterday he was running his socks off trying to make something happen.

Credit were it's due, along with Hargreaves Crouch's attitude and performances have certainly changed my opinion of him.
The whole world - members of this site, jolurnalists, even Canadians - knew that Rooney should not play lone striker, but play behind Crouch. Most suggested Lampard be dropped to accomodate this, retaining Hargreaves (there were a few doubters here). The whole world that is except our turnip headed manager. Rooney has always been a spoiled child - a loose cannon we would say over here. What better way to make him really frustrated than to play him as a lone striker. I don't blame Lampard - he did his best but this was pathetic throughout the tournament. A decent manager would have benched him before the knockout round. A decent manager would never have selected a kid he didn't even intend to give a five minute run on. I could go on but everyone has already said most of it. The whole world practically.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:43 pm

The way in which England currently play, Kevin Davies would look like a world beater. That isn't a criticism of Crouch but if we continually play long ball tactics, a frontman that can play the lone striker role(not Rooney) will look good compared to the rest of the team. I personally think Davies would have excelled in this world cup but Crouch did what was asked of him, he played well yestreday.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Peter Crouch - an apology

Post by trotter58 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:02 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:If I was Crouch, I would be really pxssed off! He worked his socks off during the WC and did everything that was asked of him, only to be dropped for a 70% fit thug!
I'd rather have a 70% fit Rooney than Crouch any day. Crouch is exactly the sort of player that Graham Taylor would have picked. Lanky streak of piss.
'No issues with Warnock, he's got a fine record, experience and has been there and done it. Unlike LSL' © Fathead 18/08/07

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:30 pm

Crouch did try hard yesterday but Portugal was really pretty poor, they looked like they were playing for penalties too (good choice). There were several instances yesterday where Crouch's lack of skill cost England good chances.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:41 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Crouch did try hard yesterday but Portugal was really pretty poor, they looked like they were playing for penalties too (good choice). There were several instances yesterday where Crouch's lack of skill cost England good chances.
Gee HP, it looks like we are opposite ends of the spectrum yet again. Crouch won a good percentage of difficult balls fired at him and kept the ball when there was no support in sight. How on earth can you blame him for lack of skill and effort? He was a hero in my eyes yesterday amongst a load of idols with feet of clay.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:59 pm

H. Pedersen wrote: There were several instances yesterday where Crouch's lack of skill cost England good chances.
Examples being, Sir? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:59 am

Crouch played well, won most balls put up to him and laid off most of them to his colleagues. Except in the box, I'm not sure that he won a single ball put high to him in the box.

I would have played Crouch instead of Lampard who has looked out of sorts the whole world cup, as everyone knows and has said Rooney is NOT a lone striker and players much better in the support role running from midfield. As I said in the England thread he was a disaster waiting to happen as he got more and more frustrated at the lack of quality ball to his lone striker role, his sending off in my view was inevitable some time in the game.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

plodder
Promising
Promising

Post by plodder » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:12 am

My opinion of lofty has not changed.

Still a decent player but £7m?? looking more and more like a good deal.

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:45 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Crouch did try hard yesterday but Portugal was really pretty poor, they looked like they were playing for penalties too (good choice). There were several instances yesterday where Crouch's lack of skill cost England good chances.
Of course he did, he plays for Liverpool, who you have a personal obsession with. Sure, the big guy miscontrolled the ball a couple of times, but it certainly did not lead to missed chances as he was so, so isolated. Unless of course you want him to blisteringly outpace the entire Portugese team.

I think Peter Crouch has won over the vast majority of his critics. I've defended him till I was blue in the face, especially when he just couldn't score. I think he's a good footballer with a good brain. And the ball is much better used by him when played into his feet. His cameo against Portugal was superb.

All I want is for none Liverpool fans to accept that he's a good player - I don't think he should be captain, or starting, or anything like that... just that he's a good footballer. Which he is.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:51 pm

I think he's a decent footballer. He is however, not a striker. Or as good as KD.

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:54 pm

Tombwfc wrote:I think he's a decent footballer. He is however, not a striker. Or as good as KD.
:shock:

What is he then? A right winger? A crafty left winger? A floating midfield maestro in the Zidane mould?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:13 pm

Crouch > Davies wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:I think he's a decent footballer. He is however, not a striker. Or as good as KD.
:shock:

What is he then? A right winger? A crafty left winger? A floating midfield maestro in the Zidane mould?
No, i think he's a forward. Like Davies. The difference being between a striker and a forward, is that a striker can generally shoot well.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:54 pm

i was never as down on him as many, but he played well. However, he like the team was robbed of any real chance of success by Sven.

Henrik's fan club
Henrik
Henrik

Post by Henrik's fan club » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:04 am

If Crouch>Davies then Henrik>Crouch/Cisse/Morientes/Bellamy

You know it's true :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:
Who needs Henry when we've got Henrik?

Free the T-W two!

Le Snake
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Le Snake » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:10 pm

I do think Crouch did well in the World Cup, and certainly deserves plaudits, apologies, whatever, but I still don't think he's the answer for England. Know what we need? A young Alan Shearer to play ahead of Rooney.

If only ...

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:20 am

Le Snake wrote:I do think Crouch did well in the World Cup, and certainly deserves plaudits, apologies, whatever, but I still don't think he's the answer for England. Know what we need? A young Alan Shearer to play ahead of Rooney.

If only ...
Dont make me cry Snake.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:52 am

I think the same. He seems a bright & pleasant guy, with more ability than some give him credit for ... but at present he's judged to be one of England's best 3 strikers then god help us.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:54 am

bobo the clown wrote:
He seems a bright & pleasant guy,
It's funny how he has this image now, because he always seemed a really unpleasant fecker on the pitch whenever I saw him against us in his pre-Liverpool days. Maybe he's just grown out of that.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:48 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
He seems a bright & pleasant guy,
It's funny how he has this image now, because he always seemed a really unpleasant fecker on the pitch whenever I saw him against us in his pre-Liverpool days. Maybe he's just grown out of that.
Maybe it's because we all shouted FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAKK at him everytime he touched the ball???