Angels and Airwaves.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Angels and Airwaves.

Post by Nozza » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:07 am

Quite a rather good band, IMO. Anyone else like them?
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:49 am

saw them support the foos - bobbins
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:01 am

And what does "bobbins" mean then Com?
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Kylofski
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Kylofski » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:03 am

Hoolio wrote:And what does "bobbins" mean then Com?
Bobbins Means poor or crap!
http://www.bcbfc.co.uk/ Bolton County Bears FC

Kylofski
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Kylofski » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:09 am

What about Ray LaMontagne, what does his album sound like only head trouble!
http://www.bcbfc.co.uk/ Bolton County Bears FC

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:24 am

To quote reference.com:

A bobbin is a spindle or cylinder, with or without flanges, on which wire, yarn, thread or film is wound. Typically found in sewing machines and cameras.

The term 'bobbins' is sometime used to express distaste. e.g. "that's a load of bobbins".

I presume it's a textile industry term, not exclusive to Lancashire as I know it is used in the mill areas of West Yorkshire. I'm not sure why bobbins were bobbins though - were they that disposable? Any clues out there?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:45 am

Little Green Man wrote: The term 'bobbins' is sometime used to express distaste. e.g. "that's a load of bobbins".

I presume it's a textile industry term, not exclusive to Lancashire as I know it is used in the mill areas of West Yorkshire. I'm not sure why bobbins were bobbins though - were they that disposable? Any clues out there?
From what I've heard, LGM. Once the cotton had been used you were indeed left with the bobbin, which itself was then thrown out, and other items of refuse were 'thrown out with the bobbins'. I remember Dorma at the bottom of Holly St in Astley Bridge always used to have a skip full of them outside.
So yes, bobbins simply means rubbish.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:52 am

I reckon I muse have seen around 80 bands live in my short lifetime.

And without a doubt...

Angels and Airwaves were the worst band I've ever seen.

Like commie, I saw them supporting Foos (although in Manchester). Every song started with the same 1 minute intro. The songs themselves also sounded the same. The lead singer (tom de lounge) was a complete cock, to put it lightly. "Yeah, I believe I can change the world with rock n roll. This is proper rock music. Together, we could rid the world of evil." The way he went on, you'd think it was the second coming of Jesus or Hitler or something. I had a listen to them on record before the concert, and in all honesty, I thought they were shit then, and the gig did nothing to change my mind. An extremely poor U2 in my eyes.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:13 pm

Little Green Man wrote:

I would ask a librarian if I were you - oh wait, that's me. A bobbin is from the old French bobine ‘a quil for a spinning wheele; also a skane or hank of gold or silver thread’
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:59 pm

and as we know everything french is merde, qed - bobbins is rubbish

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Woody
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Woody » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:23 am

Marshall wrote:I reckon I muse have seen around 80 bands live in my short lifetime.

And without a doubt...

Angels and Airwaves were the worst band I've ever seen.

Like commie, I saw them supporting Foos (although in Manchester). Every song started with the same 1 minute intro. The songs themselves also sounded the same. The lead singer (tom de lounge) was a complete cock, to put it lightly. "Yeah, I believe I can change the world with rock n roll. This is proper rock music. Together, we could rid the world of evil." The way he went on, you'd think it was the second coming of Jesus or Hitler or something. I had a listen to them on record before the concert, and in all honesty, I thought they were shit then, and the gig did nothing to change my mind. An extremely poor U2 in my eyes.
Putting them in the same breath as U2 is complimenting them. An extremely poor U2, is 10 times better than this bunch.

Gnome
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gnome » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:19 pm

Marshall wrote:Like commie, I saw them supporting Foos (although in Manchester). Every song started with the same 1 minute intro. The songs themselves also sounded the same. The lead singer (tom de lounge) was a complete cock, to put it lightly. "Yeah, I believe I can change the world with rock n roll. This is proper rock music. Together, we could rid the world of evil." The way he went on, you'd think it was the second coming of Jesus or Hitler or something.
'Ive slept with 2 women i love, and the second time, i didnt even cry'
:crazy:
he was indeed the world's biggest knob.
i had been told before that they were qutie good, but someone who also came to the Foos and has since changed his mind - they were rubbish! but it was Tom who made me dislike them more than the music
Nay-Nay: so good they named me twice

"oh Nicky Hunt, should play up front, oh Nicky Hunt should play up front"

Sideshow Bob
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Sideshow Bob » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:21 pm

Absolute shite.
Meh.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:30 pm

Gnome wrote:he was indeed the world's biggest knob.
i had been told before that they were qutie good, but someone who also came to the Foos and has since changed his mind - they were rubbish! but it was Tom who made me dislike them more than the music
Interesting that, Gnome. It's for the exact same reason, to wit: that I consider the lead singer to be the world's most colossal cock-end, that I can't get into Razorlight. Clearly, as a band they're a tidy rock and roll unit but the singer is just an absolute tosser. Shame that! :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Henrik's fan club
Henrik
Henrik

Post by Henrik's fan club » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:01 am

To be fair the Foos are shite too....
You need some Radiohead/Sigur Ros/Arcade Fire in your lives!
Who needs Henry when we've got Henrik?

Free the T-W two!

Woody
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Woody » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:44 am

Henrik's fan club wrote:To be fair the Foos are shite too....
Can I have all four please?

Backgammon
Promising
Promising

Post by Backgammon » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:07 am

I'd never say the foo's were shite, but I've certainly gone off them. They never recaptured the brilliance of the first album for me. QOTSA are/were a much better outfit and Dave G knew it.

I've liked Sigur Ros since the first album. I got to see them once at Glastonbury; it was an unforgettable set.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:34 am

Backgammon wrote:
I've liked Sigur Ros since the first album. I got to see them once at Glastonbury; it was an unforgettable set.
Final night, slightly raining, penultimate act before the Doves, weeing in a paper beer cup under the army surplus waterproof smock- awesome.

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:42 pm

how dare you *virtual slap*