Nightmare Train Journey : This Morning

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:44 am

Hello, Gertie. When you said 'get more people to work from home' I thought you meant transport them.

That's not a bad idea (my misinterpretation I mean) provided that they have a significant number of employees.

Many years ago I worked in Sydney for a bank. For a pretty long period we had transport strikes (i.e. railway employees of the state government run network). These could be just one day affairs or, on occasion, over three or four days. Chaos reigned.

Being the dedicated employees that we were we negotiated with the powers that be for the bank to reimburse (i.e. pay for) buses to cart us all in and out of the city. The only bad point, apart from the inevitable traffic delays, was that the responsibility for the western region devolved upon myself. It eventually came to the point where all our staff knew who to contact when the unions pulled the trick, the bus companies (others did different areas to myself) knew we'd ring and book a few trips (at one point I was organising 5 buses at short notice) and the bank's personnel department knew that a bill was imminent.

It worked a treat. The inference is that, even if staff had to pay a fair fare for the privilege, might it work on a regular basis? Certainly there would be some hurdles to overcome - individuals working late etc - but, providing there was a sufficient number of employees involved and enough businesses took it on, it would surely relieve the public transport system of a significant amount of patronage. Read into that what you will.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:58 pm

Today I've spent five hours sat motionless on the M62 after a coming together of two trucks at Huddersfield meant that the Police had to shut it. This got me thinking, would I rather spend this time stuck in my car or stuck on a train, and I really have to say that, for me, the car wins again. I just caught up on some work, made phone calls, listened to some music and did some reading all in perfect solitude. Although I must confess that I'd scoffed mi butties by 11.30 :oops:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:00 pm

Admit it, you had a piss in a bottle too :)
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:13 pm

Yes, but I dare say that 5 hour train delays are less frequent than traffic jams of the same nature.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:22 pm

americantrotter wrote:Yes, but I dare say that 5 hour train delays are less frequent than traffic jams of the same nature.
Not since privatisation, they're not. :(

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:24 pm

ahh. I miss the British Rail logo. That was the best.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:26 pm

Athers wrote:Admit it, you had a piss in a bottle too :)
Haha, glad I was too late for my early morning brew this morning. :mrgreen:

I was parked up by the Little House on the Prairie and I was wondering who'd be first to crack and go and knock on the door. Incredibly no-one did, but if they were charging admission to the traps at Hartshead Moor when the motorway re-opened they'd have done a mint. :D

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:21 pm

Bruce the back road through Rishworth & Sowerby was jammers too, especially up to the temporary lights at the Triangle pub. The road was at a standstill from there back to the M62, people were just taking a Sammy at the side of the road.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:17 am

communistworkethic wrote:Bruce the back road through Rishworth & Sowerby was jammers too, especially up to the temporary lights at the Triangle pub. The road was at a standstill from there back to the M62, people were just taking a Sammy at the side of the road.
Is that pub still in bits? A truck went straight through the front of it not so long back.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:04 pm

reet so this morning our trains late cos of the lightning

fine, get over that. it's only work. but coming home an electrical fault at Victoriarse station means my train simply isn't moving. i had to leg it over to deansgate and missed the first (and possibly best) minutes of the england game. nightmare

Milky_Joe
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Milky_Joe » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:35 am

This morning, my train between Bolton and Preston was diverted through Wigan. Apparently someone has been killed at Chorley station.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:46 am

Dying in Chorley! Bloody hell, that's depressing!
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!