Fatal Stabbing today in Bradshawgate

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:48 am

Geographically speaking, does this mean you can call an Aussie or Kiwi an Asian and would he/she be insulted?
On the subject of gangs of lads and stirring up, my kid brother used to wind up the biggest guy in the pub then hide behind my other brother and myself. Fortunately it never amounted to very much and we'd sometimes have to give him a slap to keep him in line. Old mantra from the forces "Run towards a gun but away from a knife." Give the boggers life for carrying one because, as mentioned, if you carry a weapon you have it in mind to use it. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:26 am

One thought, which may open a can of worms I have no intention of eating: isn't a knife one of a sikh's sacred possessions?

(Quick search)

Ah yes - for non-violent prevention of aggression
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirpan

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:31 am

It is but there's no indictaion they were Sikhs.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:19 am

Had to laugh at "riviting the knife to the sheath" to comply with the law. What does a Sikh do to comply with the religious usage to prevent someone being attacked; use it as a hammer? :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:34 am

communistworkethic wrote:It is but there's no indictaion they were Sikhs.
No indeed. No religious identification at all.
There was talk that anyone leaving the house with a knife should be locked up forever, which is understandable in a way, but a bugger for some - including the main importer of Swiss Army Knives...

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:50 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
There was talk that anyone leaving the house with a knife should be locked up forever, which is understandable in a way, but a bugger for some - including the main importer of Swiss Army Knives...
or the butcher, or chef, or fisherman...
Last edited by communistworkethic on Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:18 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
I was trying to think of people who might need knives for their jobs, and came up blank! :mrgreen:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:22 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
I was trying to think of people who might need knives for their jobs, and came up blank! :mrgreen:
Circus knife-thrower??? traveling knife-sharpener? commando??

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:24 pm

thebish wrote:commando??
No, I'm fully briefed.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:02 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:One thought, which may open a can of worms I have no intention of eating: isn't a knife one of a sikh's sacred possessions?

(Quick search)

We have recently had a case in Canada that my friend Julius Grey took to the Supreme Court and won. Does a School Board have the right to ban a Sikh student from wearing a kirpan? Julius was for the Sikhs. However, there was the question of resonable accomodation - e.g. the kirpan could be small and sewn inside the clothes. I don't think the question of rivets came up.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:05 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:One thought, which may open a can of worms I have no intention of eating: isn't a knife one of a sikh's sacred possessions?

(Quick search)

We have recently had a case in Canada that my friend Julius Grey took to the Supreme Court and won. Does a School Board have the right to ban a Sikh student from wearing a kirpan? Julius was for the Sikhs. However, there was the question of resonable accomodation - e.g. the kirpan could be small and sewn inside the clothes. I don't think the question of rivets came up.
From the link: Some regulations allow the kirpan under certain restrictions; for example, rules in some California schools require that the kirpan be blunted and riveted into a sheath. This prevents any possible use of the kirpan as a weapon, but still allows it as a physical symbol of faith.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:50 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

(Quick search)

From the link: Some regulations allow the kirpan under certain restrictions; for example, rules in some California schools require that the kirpan be blunted and riveted into a sheath. This prevents any possible use of the kirpan as a weapon, but still allows it as a physical symbol of faith.
But if he were a BA employee would result in a suspension. :evil:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:58 pm

no, that's an overt visible symbol of faith.

In her words she wears it "to demonstrate to people that Jesus loves them".

She's not been banned from wearing it, just not on visible display. She wears a uniform, it's not part of it, those are the rules. A turban can't really be hidden under something other than a hat, and if they don't wear a hat, well you do the math, as the youngsters on TV seem to say.

More fuss over nothing.

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:00 pm

So a turban is allowed, because it cannot be hidden.....if she wore a three foot long cross she would be OK?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:11 pm

Batman wrote:So a turban is allowed, because it cannot be hidden.....if she wore a three foot long cross she would be OK?
the Bible says nowt about wearing a cross... it does urge followers to "pick up their cross and follow" - if she was being biblically literal about it all, she'd carry a six-foot cross (or possibly the beam of a cross) around with her. That wouldn't count as jewelry, so I guess she'd be OK... err... :wink:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:54 pm

thebish wrote:
Batman wrote:So a turban is allowed, because it cannot be hidden.....if she wore a three foot long cross she would be OK?
the Bible says nowt about wearing a cross... it does urge followers to "pick up their cross and follow" - if she was being biblically literal about it all, she'd carry a six-foot cross (or possibly the beam of a cross) around with her. That wouldn't count as jewelry, so I guess she'd be OK... err... :wink:
Imagine trailing that up and down the aisle all the way to Singapore and back.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:08 pm

thebish wrote:
Imagine trailing that up and down the aisle all the way to Singapore and back.
She's not a stewardess (trust me I've seen her picture).

Over here all hockey players must wear a helmet. Our Sikh children (when IO coached) had long hair bundled up on top with a covering (not a full turban). Still they have to wear a helmet many sizes too large which presents an inconguous spectacle.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:25 pm

Monty Panesar's a Sikh isn't he? He wears a much cut down version of a turban which fits under a cricket helmet when playing..

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:02 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Monty Panesar's a Sikh isn't he? He wears a much cut down version of a turban which fits under a cricket helmet when playing..
He is indeed, TD. When I was in the army we had two Sikhs in our squadron who wore navy blue turbans with the Corps cap badge used as a fastener, instead of the berets the rest of us wore. Very smart they looked too.

Great guys, Sikhs. Zulu's tip? Never pick a fight with one. Hard as nails!

8)
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:35 pm

Zulus! Thousand of 'em! wrote: Great guys, Sikhs. Zulu's tip? Never pick a fight with one. Hard as nails!
Met one at a bus stop a couple of years ago. He worked in Manchester and we travelled to and from work together for a while. Started off saying "morning" etc and got to know him well enough to become friends. Really nice guy. Always wore the full turban and was a very smart man.