Citeh to be taken over (allegedly)

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Citeh to be taken over (allegedly)

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:02 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 217446.stm

If its another foreign moneybags investor I'll scream, what is happening to the game?

At least with it being City they will still waste it all...cue David Nugent for £15million or something.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:25 pm

This is getting ridiculous, why cant we get bought out!!!

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:29 pm

All this activity makes me deeply suspicious. A football club is a rotten investment. I'm glad we're not involved with this sort of thing.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:39 pm

Unless its a billionaire a la Chelski, Villa, and they buy you out right you're pprobably no better off. then its if they are treating you as an investment a la ManUre - they'll only be ok because of the brand, and the 80k fans each week.

If Bill Gates came along and decided he wanted a play thing in the Premier league then fine i'd be happy, but if its a consortium whats the point
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:42 pm

West Ham fans reckon that the takeover there has effectively quadrupled their debt.

Village Idiot
Promising
Promising

Post by Village Idiot » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:49 pm

Makes me glad Barça isn't a PLC and can't be taken over.

I guess it's just a matter of time that this foreign takeover-mania travels south of the Bay of Biscay, though.
Barça fan that loves a team in white :shock:

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:11 pm

Village Idiot wrote:Makes me glad Barça isn't a PLC and can't be taken over.
Those two don't go hand in hand, I'm afraid, unless there's different rules/meanings to plc in Spain than there are in England.

Manchester United was a plc.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:17 pm

I think thats what VI is saying blurred, its not a plc so it is harder to buy it.

It means that you'd have to agree with the family/company that owns Barca, so the price would probably be higher, as with a plc, there is likely to be the odd renegaade share holder (McManus and Magnier in the scums casse), who'dd be willing to sell too make a fast buck.

It was our problem for all the years that Warbies owned the club, they wouldn't relinquish but wouldn't invest. Oh if only Reebok had managed to buy us in the day

Village Idiot
Promising
Promising

Post by Village Idiot » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:39 pm

No, it's not that. What I mean is that FC Barcelona isn't a company. It isn't owned by anybody, hence it can't be bought. It's an association.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:31 am

Village Idiot wrote:No, it's not that. What I mean is that FC Barcelona isn't a company. It isn't owned by anybody, hence it can't be bought. It's an association.
The best way to be. Better bonuses or the staff - advantage of working for one myself! :wink:

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:58 am

Village Idiot wrote:No, it's not that. What I mean is that FC Barcelona isn't a company. It isn't owned by anybody, hence it can't be bought. It's an association.
A bit like the Automobile Association over here, then - the same AA that got sold to Centrica plc.

:wink:

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:25 am

Little Green Man wrote:
A bit like the Automobile Association over here, then - the same AA that got sold to Centrica plc.

I must admit I miss read VI's post :oops: . I don't work for an association (although its in our coompany name) I work for a provident, which I have a feeling that if Barca was a UK company it would be described as a Provident more than an association - which the AA never was, just an association/club to help motorists avoid speed camera's.

Basically with a Provident any there are no share owners so you are not making a profit for them, the company/club is owned by the members, and any profits made by the company are - and must or you have to pay members back - be re-invested into the club to give a better service to the customers. Its a bit like a not-for profit organisation, but it makes a profit which is then spent for the good of the members (that makes no sense!) - ie in Barca's case better players.

After all they don't have a slightly corrupt spanish goovernment paying over the odds for there training ground with help from the king :mrgreen:

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:50 am

Little Green Man wrote:

and subsequently sold for a £650million profit.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Village Idiot
Promising
Promising

Post by Village Idiot » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:07 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote: Basically with a Provident any there are no share owners so you are not making a profit for them, the company/club is owned by the members, and any profits made by the company are - and must or you have to pay members back - be re-invested into the club to give a better service to the customers. Its a bit like a not-for profit organisation, but it makes a profit which is then spent for the good of the members (that makes no sense!) - ie in Barca's case better players.
Yes, that's how Barça works. Didn't know the correct UK term. Including the "corrupt government" bit since the law actually should have forced us to become a PLC but they made an exception of us, Real Madrid, Athletic Bilbao and Osasuna. And I'm glad they did!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:03 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote: if Barca was a UK company it would be described as a Provident more than an association - which the AA never was, just an association/club to help motorists avoid speed camera's.
Not strictly correct. Most "Providents" in the UK are now plcs. "Industrial and Provident Societies" are registered under their own act of parliament the I&PSA 1965. An industrial and provident society is an organisation conducting an industry, business or trade, either as a co-operative or for the benefit of the community.

Building Societies and co-operateratives also operate under the same ownership arrangement - i.e. by their members. The arrangement of ownership is refered to as "mutuality" and the businesses as "Mutuals".
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house