Mike Riley

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Mike Riley

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:40 pm

Couldn't work out whether to post this here or in the Bolton bit, think as its about refs I'll have a go over here.

Why I want Mike Riley back at the Reebok

Ok so we hardly see Mike Riley these days, wisely enough the FA don't tend to appoint him to Bolton matches. However I'm starting to come round to the idea of having him back at the Reebok....probably confusing you a bit now so here goes.

This season some of the complete muppets that have appeared at the Reebok include the names Marriner, Foy, Dowd, Webb...what do they all have in common? They will pick up on anything outside the area - ie free kicks/throw ins being taken 2 yards away from the foul/where the ball went out of play, Davies jumping, 50/50 challenges and generally use it as an excuse to go whistle happy and 'stamp their authority' on the game. However, come to the penalty area or a scything challenge or cynical shirt pull on someone clear on goal - basically a 'big' decision and surprise surprise they haven't seen it. Earlier on in the season we won a fair few penalties, Watford in the dying minutes sticks out. However since the panning and ridiculing of Graham 'look at me' Poll refs do not seem willing to be the next victim of the media/manager bashing and tend to shy away from these decisions.

Where Mike Riley differs is that he has the courage of his convictions - shown yesterday at Boro, clear fould and red card offence - the only doubt being if it was in the area or not. Be a great get out of jail free card that for Marriner et al. Uriah Rennie is another one, he stands by whatever he sees and won't try to even things up. He just isn't as good as Riley (if you believe the hype).

So to the FA - give us Mike Riley at the Reebok, even if he is a c*nt. We would of had one pen on Wed thats for sure.

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:43 pm

you'll burn in hell for this....
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

Porrohman
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Porrohman » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:44 pm

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:57 pm

He can't have been any worse than Alan Wiley was yesterday

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:11 pm

I do actually agree with OD a bit on this in terms of bravery to make decisions. But I don't want card-happy refs who send off players in nearly every match.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:16 pm

The Boro issue was rubbish for me. The player hardly touched Arsenal's jessie, who promptly made a king-size meal of it. To get a red for that is ludicrous. And it was outside the area by a good two feet.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:55 pm

Mr Mathieson is a cock. :twisted:
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:47 pm

Riley is brave with his decisions, shame so many are wrong.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:08 pm

communistworkethic wrote:Riley is brave with his decisions, shame so many are wrong.
snap

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:21 pm

Though I would guess that 75% of his decisions are wrong, brave or not.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:22 am

on me own then

just pissed off with these eejits that turn up at the reebok happy to move the fukin ball 2 inches backwards to stamp their authority on the game, and then when it comes to a foul on davies in the box which would be given outside turn a blind eye

thought id test the water

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:24 am

You're are on your own for me dib Dib. I cringe whenever I see Riley on one of our games. I have a long memory.

Had to edit this as I got a phone call in the middle of it and cocked it up.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:29 am

We've not done too badlyy with him as ref this season however

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: Mike Riley

Post by Mar » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:51 pm

officer_dibble wrote: So to the FA - give us Mike Riley at the Reebok, even if he is a c*nt. We would of had one pen on Wed thats for sure.
I doubt that. He wasn't as kind to give us the last minute penalty we should have had against Boro in the cup final (mind you he did give us that one against Liverpool in the last minute of the cup run).

The worst thing about watching Mike Riley referee a football game is that he turns it into some American Football spectacle. It's constant stop start with people leaving the field of play. He picks up on a lot of needless decisions and doesn't let the game flow like it's meant to. Sure his games are memorable, but its the bitterness caused by his decisions that will never make him a good referee.

His decisions lack common sense and do nothing to appease the fans.