Serious thread from me, for once...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Serious thread from me, for once...

Post by Nozza » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:52 pm

Discussion on the train down to Barnsleh:

"Is the word Paki racist?"

My arguement is no it isn't. No different to someone calling me a Brit, IMO.

Got an earbashing from some woman like.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:55 pm

It is only used in a derogatory and offensive manner.

Someone from Pakistan should be known as a Pakistani.

As someone from Britain should be known as a Brit.

Or someone from Australia an Australian.

So I'd say it pretty much is racist.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:06 pm

daxter15 wrote:It is only used in a derogatory and offensive manner.

As someone from Britain should be known as a Brit.Or someone from Australia an Australian.

Why not a Britain then, or British? Think you shot yourself in the foot. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:17 pm

That was my point - if me calling someone a "Paki" is racist, then surely them calling me a "Brit" is racist too?
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

gaiser
Promising
Promising

Post by gaiser » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:35 pm

I don't know what "Paki" means"

but I think it's how you pronounce words that make the difference. I'm sure that I will hear "f**g swede a lot when I visit you all "Brits" in Bolton. >You hear what you want to hear. But I know you love me anyway! :box:

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:31 pm

I think most people call people Pakis without actually knowing where they come from. They just say it to anyone who looks indian or whatever.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:11 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
daxter15 wrote:It is only used in a derogatory and offensive manner.

As someone from Britain should be known as a Brit.Or someone from Australia an Australian.

Why not a Britain then, or British? Think you shot yourself in the foot. :mrgreen:
Et tu, Brute? I think Britain is a place, while a Briton is a person. Personally I find the term "Paki" somewhat derogatory.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:49 am

Of course it is.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:12 am

If you think about it - and it as been stated above why should Aussie, Brit, Swede, Swiss, etc be acceptable and Pakki and Jap not? After all they are all just shortened names for people who come from (or are assumed to come from) those countries.

Over the years words can change their meaning from one thing to another. The word Pakki most probably started out innocently enough - but is now generally accepted as racist.

Similar to the word 'gay' which when I was a youngster simply meant to be 'happy and carefree' but means something much different now.

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:57 am

Julian and Graham are 'happy and carefree'. :wink:
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

Luna
Promising
Promising

Post by Luna » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:21 am

How many people always call Australian's Australian, not Ozzy's or whatever? Is that racist?

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:24 am

Whenever i have heard someone call someone a paki it has been in a derogatory and offensive manner.

Henrik's fan club
Henrik
Henrik

Post by Henrik's fan club » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:53 am

I had a couple of Pakistani mates at uni and they referred jokingly to themselves as 'pakis' all the time. Not a word I'd use and in most contexts I'd say it was racist. But the word itself is not inherently racist
Who needs Henry when we've got Henrik?

Free the T-W two!

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:18 pm

Is it the same as black people referring to themselves using the 'n' word?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:08 pm

I think it just started out, as many words do, as a "lazy" chopped version of Pakistani. It has grown to be offensive because of there is still a lot of underlying racism, not on the surface, but still there. "Asian" is the general term used as many people still confuse Pakistanis with Indians. A lot of so-called "Asians" these days are in fact born and bred English.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:13 pm

When I was at uni there was a guy in our flat who was a pakistani, he never minded being called a paki because that's what he was. Him and his mates used the word all the time and used the word to take the piss half the time, like "you're only saying that because i'm a paki".

For me it comes down to how it's used, as with any word. Somebody could say to you, "You stupid fkn lazy Brit" and you'd take offence because of the way it was delivered.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:07 pm

For anyone who hasn't seen it, the film "East is East" is on film 4 tonight. (Sky 315, Virgin 444, Freeview 29) Deals with this very issue amongst other things. About a typical Asian family growing up in England. Gives a real insight into the young views as opposed to traditional Asian ones.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:09 pm

I appeared in the unofficial follow-up 'Chicken Tikka Massala', but I bet no-one has seen that barrel of shite.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:18 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:For anyone who hasn't seen it, the film "East is East" is on film 4 tonight. (Sky 315, Virgin 444, Freeview 29) Deals with this very issue amongst other things. About a typical Asian family growing up in England. Gives a real insight into the young views as opposed to traditional Asian ones.
Quite a good film. I went to the cinema to see it with my Indian friend, which for some reason meant we had people staring at us. :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:24 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:For anyone who hasn't seen it, the film "East is East" is on film 4 tonight. (Sky 315, Virgin 444, Freeview 29) Deals with this very issue amongst other things. About a typical Asian family growing up in England. Gives a real insight into the young views as opposed to traditional Asian ones.
Quite a good film. I went to the cinema to see it with my Indian friend, which for some reason meant we had people staring at us. :conf:
Well, if it was a male friend you just had to be homosexual, (won't use gay as I refuse to disassociate that beautiful old word from its descriptive usage). If it was a girl, that's the old under-the-surface racism showing it self. We still have a long way to go yet.