Rochdale deny winding up order.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Rochdale deny winding up order.

Post by Nozza » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:01 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 563627.stm

Always a shame to see stuff like this happening. Got a soft spot for Rochdale (ex girlfriends father was from there, went to see 'em a couple times). It's harsh that Leeds are near to being given money to buy back Elland Road, while clubs like this suffer. I think Scarborough are ceasing to trade at the end of the season. It seems like every year a 'traditional' club either goes bust, or goes close. Rotherham, and Leicester have both entered administration in recent seasons. Telford went out of business 2 years ago, I think.

So is there anything that can be done? I think Whelan had it spot on, recently. All clubs should receive a decent share of TV money. Sky put up a caption before Sheff Utd vs Man Utd the other day showing who will get what. If you finish 20th in the Premiership you get just over 500K, but if you win, it is nearer 20million. Although prize money should be awarded based on performance, TV money shouldn't. In the lower leagues, Sky given 55K to the home team, and 15K to the away team per match shown. Add a zero or two and you have the Premiership figures. Then there is the fact that Chelsea, Man Poo, Arsenil etc will always be on Sky more than Watford, Bolton, Fulham etc. Sadly, football is a money game, and Sky is the killer. I know the Premiership saved football in 1992, but they have gone overload and killed the feck* now.

I'd sooner play Rochdale or Bury in the cup, than Arsenal B, or Man Utd B.

Bigger clubs should have more responsibility to the lower leagues. Freddy Shepherd and some Man Utd director (Edwards?) have both said that they should be done away with. (Mind, some could say the same about Bolton fans thinking the same...)

So, should the money be distributed equally ala Rugby League. Or should it kept as is.

Discuss.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Henrik's fan club
Henrik
Henrik

Post by Henrik's fan club » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:08 am

Did anyone rush to our aid when we were selling bits of our ground to supermarkets? Did they feck!
Who needs Henry when we've got Henrik?

Free the T-W two!

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:24 am

Henrik's fan club wrote:Did anyone rush to our aid when we were selling bits of our ground to supermarkets? Did they feck!
aye.

And of course people are willing to give money to Leeds. They're a BIG club after all. :crazy:
Smarties have answers.....

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:28 am

Bench wrote:
Henrik's fan club wrote:Did anyone rush to our aid when we were selling bits of our ground to supermarkets? Did they feck!
aye.

And of course people are willing to give money to Leeds. They're a BIG club after all. :crazy:
Aye, they're one of the biggest clubs in the lower divisions. Probably known as "The Ipswich of the North"...in Ipswich. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:30 am

I have a soft spot for Rochdale from when we used to play them in the old third division. At one match I sat in seats that had been rescued from a recently demolished cinema. It's the comfiest I've ever been at a game. A lot of Bolton fans got in free because they kicked a hole in the fence at the back of the standing area behind the goal.

I wouldn't swap where we are now, but it's good to have memories of the lower league grounds. It was a totally different match experience.

But I still say good riddance to Bury.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:55 am

if you don't make money you go bust, football is no different to any other business. It's a shame the directors, players and agents who bleed the clubs dry forget this.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:00 pm

I don't mind sharing the revenue equally, but I've seen it's side effects. here in the states they take the TV money and still spend nothing. Guranteed profit. I like the fact that we built ourselves up using brains and not money. Now we are reaping the rewards of that success. I think money should be split better, but there has to be an incentive to fibnish higher, or otherwise only European spots and relegation will be viable matches after January.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:26 pm

But you've not got the teired divisions like we have with promotion and relegation.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:31 pm

True. This is mainly a problem in Baseball where teams pay a luxury tax for spending over a set amount payroll wise. The poorer finishing teams who don't exceed the tax then get money from the tax paid. Basically the rich teams pay the bad teams to suck. It's stupid. If you have a maximum and a penalty, you should have a minumum too.

I think that money should be shared with the lower leagues, but in proportion. It might actually help keep wages down in the Prem as there will be less money for the agents to get their hands on.

In the end, nothing will beat sound management and sound financial discipline. (outside of the big 4)

chester white
Promising
Promising

Post by chester white » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:00 pm

Don't mean to blow my own trumpet, but I'm kind of ITK on the whole Rochdale saga :D

There's no danger of them going bust or anything, it was an administrative balls up that was all in hand, but then the local press got hold of it, and have blown the whole thing out of proportion.

I go watch the Dale if I'm at home from uni and Bolton are darn Sarf or playing a different, and saw the 7-2 versus Stockport the other week. They share my hate for Bury as mentioned in another post, and it is nice to see a club where they still seem to be in touch with the fans, and where you can go have a laugh with mates for 90 minutes and free to stand where you like.

Also Keith Hill is a top bloke and enjoys a pint in one my post match Bolton pubs :pissed:
The Sherpa Van Trophy! We've won it one time!

NumptyNumbNuts
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by NumptyNumbNuts » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:19 pm

I like Rochdale, they did the best pie & peas I've ever had at a footie match.

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:21 pm

Best Pies are at Burnley.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:14 am

Apparently The Knowledge is currently under a winding up order too.
Businesswoman of the year.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:45 pm

Hoolio wrote:Best Pies are at Burnley.
You've clearly never had a Spotland pie!

Hope the 'Dale can pull through it, they've worked wonders with the ground over the past few years, which is more than can be said for some bigger clubs, plus they hate the Bucket Shakers as much as we do.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight