Communism takes the States

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Communism takes the States

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:17 am

Yes much to the chagrin of our new Reading friend, I have agreed to do the New York Marathon on 4th November this year for the British Heart Foundation and all money raised will be matched by my employer.

Having been training for my annual trip out at the Reebok, I was getting back from teh gym and got a text from someone who'd just finished the london marathon, which left me thinking "you know that once you've played this match you'll do sack all again for months, you need a goal." So I had a quick look round and NYC Marathon is far enough away to fit in the training.

Has anyone else been as insane and done a marathon? How was it, is it mind-numbingly tedious trotting round for 4+hours? Any recommendation for where to get fitted for running shoes?

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:20 am

Never done one, and to be honest never plan to!

But its for a good cause so how you taking your sponsorship? If its online then pop the link up and see what TW members can scrape together!
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:33 am

Nice one - at least you admit that it's more for yourself than anything else. I can't stand these knobbers who self-righteously go on about what they're doing for good causes when they bungee jump, paraglide, travel the world etc etc. I know loads of people who have been to impoverished places in Africa and South America and none of them accepts that if they had just donated the money it cost for them to fly and stay there then that would do much more good. But then they wouldn't get the life-changing holiday would they? I'd love to do a bungee jump or something, but I wouldn't dream of asking others to pay for that experience in the name of 'charity'.

Anyway, that rant aside, the NY Marathon is a great goal to have on the horizon Commie, and if the British Heart Foundation benefits along the way then great. I just hope that you don't end up requiring their services
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Le Snake
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Le Snake » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:39 am

Haven't ever run farther than a few kilometres, to be honest, but a friend of mine who runs a charity asked me if I fancied doing New York next year, and I'm very seriously taken with the idea. I reckon the pain would be worth it just for the chance to go to the city, take in a couple of jazz dens, that sort of thing.

Do you know how the sponsorship-related perks work out? I've heard that if you raise over a certain amount in charity sponsorship, you get you flights free. That's likely to be the only way I could afford it.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:39 am

I've done a half marathon in Edinburgh (1 hour and 25 minutes btw). Get yourself some decent running partners for the training. Joining a running club with a large membership is good, that way you can always find some one of equal ability to run with.

It's as much mental as physical. A friend of mine once described a marathon as running and clapping and running and clapping and running and more fecking clapping.

Build up the distance in training gradually and don't put yourself under too much pressure - otherwise you'll pick up stress fractures and other such injuries. The first six weeks are the worst. It takes your circulation that long before it starts to adapt. After that it's a lot easier.

Backgammon
Promising
Promising

Post by Backgammon » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:40 am

NY marthon would be a great achievement. I've thought about doing a marathon myself, but then realised that I'd get about 200 metres before coughing up lager and fags.

Essential kit for NYC? Good running shoes, a steady supply of water and perhaps a 9mm?

Will you wear a costume? Perhaps you could ask Bolton if you can borrow Lofty the lion's outfit...

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:45 am

Well it's our chosen charity of the year at work, so it works two ways - I get a guaranteed place and the money raised is doubled. I will be paying for my own flights etc. It's not entirely about me, both my grandparents died of heart attacks, Mad Mick behind me at the Reebok had a heart attack, as did my mate's dad who sits next to me and one of the lads from my football team (he's 35 and was fitter than anyone I know).

It's unlikely I can do the fundraising online due to the "justgiving" website no being compatible with our matching funds scheme but when I get it all sorted I'll post the bank details or do it by PM.

If people want to support me then we could make this thread a sticky and people could pledge money on here and just send me the receipt for their deposits to the account, that way there's no issues with posting money and cheques etc and I don't have to try and collect it!

Le Snake
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Le Snake » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:46 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Nice one - at least you admit that it's more for yourself than anything else. I can't stand these knobbers who self-righteously go on about what they're doing for good causes when they bungee jump, paraglide, travel the world etc etc. I know loads of people who have been to impoverished places in Africa and South America and none of them accepts that if they had just donated the money it cost for them to fly and stay there then that would do much more good. But then they wouldn't get the life-changing holiday would they? I'd love to do a bungee jump or something, but I wouldn't dream of asking others to pay for that experience in the name of 'charity'.

Anyway, that rant aside, the NY Marathon is a great goal to have on the horizon Commie, and if the British Heart Foundation benefits along the way then great. I just hope that you don't end up requiring their services
Le Snake wrote:Do you know how the sponsorship-related perks work out? I've heard that if you raise over a certain amount in charity sponsorship, you get you flights free. That's likely to be the only way I could afford it.
Ha. I like how altruistic that makes me look. :mrgreen:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:50 am

The most I've done is 20K it was horrendous, The first 7 did me in as I was trying to keep pace with a mate much fitter and stronger, after these 7 k's it was just about trying to keep me legs working and it became labourous, just start off at a pace you're comfortable with.

As for training I don't think you can beat the streets where you live, it'll also get your feet ready, I suggest you purposely get blistered so you can make your soles rock hard in time for the event

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:21 pm

Good luck Commie.

I've started training for the London Marathon 2008

I can run 7 miles in just under 1 hour, but obviously I'll have to slow down the further I run. Really hope you do well. The BHF is close to me too, but more specifically I raise money for Great Ormond Street Hospital Cardiac Unit.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:46 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:I can't stand these knobbers who self-righteously go on about what they're doing for good causes when they bungee jump, paraglide, travel the world etc etc.

I'd love to do a bungee jump or something, but I wouldn't dream of asking others to pay for that experience in the name of 'charity'.
I want to rant that too !!

Sick to death of begging letters from kids wanting sponsorship so they can go round the world, parachute drop or bungee someplace.

Go on the game if you money that badly you idle feckers.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:50 pm

I would imagine that the boredom factor would play pretty heavily. I run 2 or 3 times a week only for about 6 miles or so, but I need to have something to think about, or its torture as I just want to stop and walk the rest of the way. I cant imagine what 26 miles must be like. Think of all the posts you should have sent and all the ones you shouldnt have on here, like todays Sheryl Crow effort :wink:

Good luck.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:11 pm

what am I letting myself in for???? :shock:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6583677.stm

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:15 pm

Well didn't the bloke who ran the original 'Marathon' in Greece drop dead shortly after arriving in Athens?

This was on QI once but I can't remember the details.

Depends on the temperature in NY...
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:19 pm

I've only done the Canadian Ski Marathon (200 km, or 120 miles, over two days - basically 8 hour days). Very tiring though not as bad as running as there are downhills to rest on. The problem is the boredom which, combined with fatigue at the end of the day, tends to make one make mistakes. The chief problem with running a marathon in NY is probably dehydration so make sure hydration facilities are available to you.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:21 pm

Yes the point of the QI piece was to point out thast Phidippedes legendary run almost certainly never happened.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:26 pm

communistworkethic wrote:what am I letting myself in for???? :shock:

I remember Jim Peters collapsing 180 yards short of the finish line in Empire games in Vancouver in about 1954. Heat prostration and dehydration and he had a three mile lead. When they had the Commonwealth Games there again a few years back, Jim came and ran the last 180 yards. Touching moment.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:31 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

I remember Jim Peters collapsing 180 yards short of the finish line in Empire games in Vancouver in about 1954. Heat prostration and dehydration and he had a three mile lead. When they had the Commonwealth Games there again a few years back, Jim came and ran the last 180 yards. Touching moment.
Once you 'hit the wall' theres no recovery, not even for such a small distance

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:35 pm

communistworkethic wrote:Yes the point of the QI piece was to point out thast Phidippedes legendary run almost certainly never happened.
Ta.. Thought it was that it wasn't from the town of Marathon but some battlefield or something.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:45 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Once you 'hit the wall' theres no recovery, not even for such a small distance
There's hurdles to get over too?? Jeesh!!