How Clever Are You?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Apathy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Apathy » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:49 am

For 200 dollars: Which of the following articles of clothing would a baseball player not wear?

Your answer: Stirrups

The correct answer was Shoulder pads.
I didn't realise baseball was played on horseback

WTF are Stirrups?

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:16 pm

Apathy wrote:
For 200 dollars: Which of the following articles of clothing would a baseball player not wear?

WTF are Stirrups?
Typical Yank terminology 8)

Stirrup Story
The beginning of the 20th century brought about another innovation closely associated with the baseball uniform: stirrup stockings. In baseball’s early days, the dyes used in stockings were not colorfast, so a spike wound could easily get an unhealthy dose of colored dye. Wearing a white stocking underneath the colored hose would help eliminate the problem, but the double thickness of socks meant that a player’s shoe no longer fit properly. The solution, introduced during the first decade of the 20th century, was the colored stirrup stocking. The innovative sock allowed for a protective layer of material around the leg but a single thickness of material in the shoe. Since the white stockings worn underneath the stirrup stockings provided a sanitary layer of protection, they were dubbed “sanitaries.”

During the 1910s and ’20s, players began to pull the stirrup stockings up so that a small arc of the sanitary stockings underneath was visible, both in back and in front. As players continued to pull on the stirrup stockings and the stockings began to stretch, more and more of the sanitary stockings began to show. Eventually, the white arches and colored stirrups were embraced as stocking style. By the 1940s, most big league clubs integrated the stirrup-look into the design of their stockings. Stirrups continued to rise throughout the century, peaking in the 1980s and ‘90s with many players showing nothing but the vertical lines of their colored stockings.

With colored dyes no longer a health concern and the recent fashion of players wearing the bottoms of their pants low on the leg, it appears that the death knell has been sounded for the stirrup stocking. Today, the few players who choose to wear their pants high enough to see stockings are donning single-layered, solid-colored hose.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:00 pm

Apathy wrote:

WTF are Stirrups?
That is awesome! I am also pissing myself at the thought of baseball players wearing shoulder pads! :D

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:33 am

In answer to AT's comment on the Quiz site, perhaps we have lost so many participants because there are so many questions which are North American oriented. It's not just American sports questions but there are many others which are related to the American society compared with those related to UK, European or heaven forbid Australian society. Its not surprising as its an American site but perhaps if we chose another topic the new one could be less "biased".

Currently it makes it very difficult for most of us to get 10 out of 10 when such questions come up, often 2 or 3 American oriented ones each day, as I suppose like me most of us are just guessing at the answer to many such questions. But that also applies to music lyric questions for me so I can't totally blame the Americans for my abysmal failure at times, like this week for example.

However, it may attract players back if the topic was changed to be less American orientated.

Whatever is decided I will soldier on because recently on one day I got 10 questions that I had had before and I got a perfect 10 in a very very short time. Doesn't happen very often but its great when it does.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:51 am

I can see that. However andyw regularly whoops me. Plus I am always stuck with Bible questions and cricket questions. I do see a few American questions on there that I know most wouldnt get so I can understand your frustration. However when 50 people played it's not as if I was killing everyone then. I am actually half decent at trivia American or not. The questions are user submitted of course, and I wouldnt mind a change in topic, but the last time we did it we found people wanted general trivia back as the other selections are much narrower.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:31 pm

BUMP

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:38 pm

Good idea AT. If there are any newbies out there who wants play the daily The Wander Quiz look on the first page.

We are short of a few more players as the more people playing the more points the winner gets (Not that affects me too much).

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:07 pm

C'mon people. Don't be shy. Next round starts on Thursday.

marshall_42
Promising
Promising

Post by marshall_42 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:28 pm

just signed up and got 8/10. Thought I was gonna kick ass, but I'm practically last!

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:15 pm

marshall_42 wrote:just signed up and got 8/10. Thought I was gonna kick ass, but I'm practically last!
Not last. As you're new I though I would save you that embarrassment. 8)

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:50 pm

Come on people. New month, new chance to play with more people.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:07 pm

Its now :nws: for me I'm afraid
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:12 pm

AndyW's name is like my name. :o
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

marshall_42
Promising
Promising

Post by marshall_42 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:27 pm

make this a sticky? I get fed up searching for the link all the time!

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:46 pm

Used to be a sticky when more people played.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:42 pm

Come on folks. Play a bit.

Son of Jardel
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Son of Jardel » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:02 pm

americantrotter wrote:Come on folks. Play a bit.
I've joined, 10 out of 10 on my first attempt. Who says students are thick? 8)

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:03 pm

Son of Jardel wrote:
Its not about how clever you are. Its about how much rubbish you know and if you know about the good ole US of A TV, weird sports and history (Cough cough hmm).

Son of Jardel
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Son of Jardel » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:20 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Son of Jardel wrote:
Its not about how clever you are. Its about how much rubbish you know and if you know about the good ole US of A TV, weird sports and history (Cough cough hmm).
I know a lot of rubbish = I have a large brain capacity for storing rubbish = I am clever. Fact. :crazy:

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:55 pm

Yep, I only get good scores because I am an American saddo. :shock: :D