What are your top 5 sporting events in the world?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:27 pm

Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:17 am

Mich, I think you're missing the point here - rugby UNION is full of pompous, public school "rugger" bankers. League is a completely different kettle of fish.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:43 am

Leyther_Matt wrote:Mich, I think you're missing the point here - rugby UNION is full of pompous, public school "rugger" bankers. League is a completely different kettle of fish.
burgertime'll think theyre both shit .. but there's been threads on it before, whys it different now ?.. its like when manutd moan about chelsea having bought the league and not seeing the irony.. or when the bigger one moans about the smaller being in the way , and its really pointless now its even played in the summer out of the 'way' of football , just coz slow people cant figure the rules out , they have to moan insteada going "i dont get that funny ball game , oh look mali verses egypt is on eurosport" ...

if west ham get more tv/paper time them smaller teams never moan do they ?

bolton-till-i-die2
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by bolton-till-i-die2 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:27 am

in no order

world cup
european championships
olympics
wimbeldon
the ashes

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:54 am

If were talking TV then

Augusta - especially the last nine on Sunday - nothing else comes close
Ryder Cup - though watching it live was a frustrating nightmare
Ashes - especially the last ones in England
Wimbledon especially Doubles (twice as fast and exciting as singles)
Aussie Rules - especially Grand Final - I just don't understand how they keep up the pace

Over my lifetime of LIVE SPORT watching (excluding Wanderers matches)

Ashes at the Oval 2005
Last day of the Open when I was young enough to hare around the course (1970's various)
1966 World Cup - Hungary v Brazil at Goodison - according to FIFA, the 6th best world cup match of all time, though how they measure it I will never know
Ashes at Melbourne Cricket Ground - Shane Warne's last game - the new Wembley will have to be something special to be better than MCG
Open at Hoylake 2006 - Tiger Woods ball control was just a level I have never seen before

Biggest disappointments - if anyone wants to start a new thread

Visiting Wembley for the first time 1980 ish- open sewer - England got hammered
Ryder Cup live at the Belfry - waited a long time to see nothing
Returning to Headingley after 20+ years - what a dump
Test match at Lords - started drizzling 5 mins before start, and not a ball bowled all day
Taking 6 hours to get to Cardiff Heineken cup final then seeing Leicester (where I worked at the time) get stuffed by Brive

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:05 pm

Top five:

The Open
Olympics
World Cup
Ryder Cup
The Masters

Bottom five:

TENNIS
Rugby Yawnion
Bowls
Showjumping (dressage, anyone?)
Ice dancing (if that counts as sport)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:30 pm

ratbert wrote:Top five:

The Open
Olympics
World Cup
Ryder Cup
The Masters

Bottom five:

TENNIS
Rugby Yawnion
Bowls
Showjumping (dressage, anyone?)
Ice dancing (if that counts as sport)
Ah, and you were doing so well up to then Ratty. The European and World ice dance championships are amongst the best entertainment ever. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:19 am

Entertainment, maybe. But sport... that's another story...

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:10 am

TV:

Chess - Grand Masters. Ah, the thrill of the clock's 'ting' and watching it progress steadily around the dial as one of the GMs stares impassively at the 64 squares (probably trying to work out 2^64 while he applies the gamemanship of time wasting on his opponent). Cerebral heaven.

Ten Pin Bowling - One could sit forever listening to the echo around the lanes as the competitors grunt and groan; who could resist the sound of the clatter of pins as they spin out of control into the backcloth and gullies? Otic overload.

Darts - The incredible mathematical skill of the scorer as s/he, with lightning speed, mentally calculates the points required. The brilliant colour of the board and the sound of the cork-piercing missiles as they reach the target. The never ending - admittedly self induced - smell of the beer and the cacophony of clinking pint pots. A total sensory experience.

Synchronised Swimming - Probably the most colourful of sports. The costumes, the water (murky or not) and the brilliant white teeth of the fixed smiles flashing in the pool lights. The constant noise of water is also guaranteed to clean out the bladder of most watchers. A medico's delight.

Snooker - This is the land of the elegantly dressed; bow ties and weskits being de rigueur. So are multi-coloured balls. It is also the province of the well educated and knowing audience. The room becomes so quiet as each player in turn addresses the ball that the commentator's sotto voce remarks sound as though they are being shouted. Jolly good exercise for the fingers that control the volume function of a television. What better way to combine one's daily constitutional with a most enjoyable sport?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:49 am

Some genius insight in to rugby from Mich and Leyther there. :roll: Nice to see neither of you just going for the easy stereotypes eh?

Top events...

The World Cup
The Olympics
The Ryder Cup
Superbowl
The TW Open ;)