The TW Open 2007

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

do we want another TW Open?

yes
30%
no
5%
don't care
14%
golf is for fat middle aged men with awful jumpers and faggots (the Cowdrill option)
51%

Total votes: 37

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:42 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:There are a couple of decent munis by my way if you fancy the trek. (No rough longer than 2 inches either...)
though Arrowe Park flood rather easily it appears!!

Me and bruce were planning to trek to Hoylake muni and Silverdale up in cumbria at some point

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:45 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:There are a couple of decent munis by my way if you fancy the trek. (No rough longer than 2 inches either...)
Works for me, Lofty! :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

BoltonBilly
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Post by BoltonBilly » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:07 am

Well its pretty much all been said, however I must thank Commie for the organisation and the Jane bag; all freebies gratefully appreciated.

I was drawn with Mummy and not having read the thread I didn't realise that he was to play off 2! Fcukin 2!! I would've loved to see his expression as I nobbed my 1st drive a full 15 yards into a shrub and subsequently lost my ball, or again when I reloaded and thumped it OB into the driving range. The poor man wasn't to be comforted on the 2nd as I hooked my drive a full 60 yards into a swamp. 2 holes, three balls and no points - perfect!

Things did settle down a little thank goodness and we had a good knock and some great fun. Top bloke that Crayons person, lovely golfer, gentle swing, consistently attacking the pin and giving nothing away with his putts. Pissed myself when he put his 2nd out of town on his 1st shot hole and again when he missed a three foot putt on his 2nd shot hole but he had very few stray shots and if you're lucky enough to partner him you'll be in for a treat - oh and very generous with the brollie sharing during a monsoon. Thanks Mummy I had a great time and very subtly put about Commie's shots and his putting.

Shot of the day Dr Dog. FM I've never seen anything like it! And I'm sure you didn't count it as a shot!!!!! But I had to let that go for the pure entertainment.

Great to see some of the lads for the 1st time and do the names to faces thingy and some for the 2nd time er er apparently! Stiff Little Fingers was my 1st ever concert at the Apollo about 30 years ago. Top band, Jake Burns voice of a gravel pit. I used to have 4 LPs, but they're at Madusa's now so I'll not see them again.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:02 am

"Never laugh at another man's misfortune", so the saying goes ...well, friend Ratbert reminded me of my own last-year's er, "accident" at the pond hole....and then promptly bonked one straight in there. I wasn't laughing......honest. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:17 am

TANGODANCER wrote:"Never laugh at another man's misfortune", so the saying goes ...well, friend Ratbert reminded me of my own last-year's er, "accident" at the pond hole....and then promptly bonked one straight in there. I wasn't laughing......honest. :mrgreen:
obviously that has a more innocent meaning among the older generation, I hope. Though it would explain why you were so much slower than us! :shock:
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:52 pm

One should always bonk one's balls in a damp, dark hole with a well aimed stroke of the shaft. :mrgreen:

I actually thought I'd done better than I had, but then again had I been able to complete 18 holes I probably would have done. Or maybe I shouldn't have left my scorecard with Bruce. How long did it take you to rub out my scores and write 16 eight's in? ;)

Joking apart, it was a great if wet day despite the clock timing me out of the grand finale. An honour to line up against you chaps and gratitude and thanks to Commie for organising. But Billy, WTF is the beef with that tank of yours?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:56 pm

ratbert wrote:Or maybe I shouldn't have left my scorecard with Bruce. How long did it take you to rub out my scores and write 16 eight's in? ;)
Why would I want to have improved your scorecard for you? :conf:

:D

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:00 pm

To win the pairs comp? 8)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:10 pm

ratbert wrote:To win the pairs comp? 8)
We came last! :(

Hang on, I'm going to put a positive spin on that.

Hey, Ratty. Well done us. We were only one place outside a top-three finish in the pairs! What a bastard! :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:18 pm

Time for a touch of honesty:

One day I'll figure out how it's possible to make half a dozen shots of real quality that give great satisfaction, and four or five times that many that a ten year old would be ashamed of, all on the same day. I'm going to take a couple of lessons in how to play "old mens golf", in other words, how to act your age. If only I had the brains or the guts to play 3x four-irons down the middle on a par 5, a chip up and two puts for a six net four off a generous handicap, instead of a wild driver blast into the Forest of Dee or out of bounds, three off the tee or a dropped ball shot, or even attempting shots that would frighten Tiger Woods, I might get somewhere. I'm working on it, at least the psychological bit.

A twenty five year old head on a sixty seven year old body somehow doesnt seem to work. Strange, isn't it? :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:42 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
A twenty five year old head on a sixty seven year old body somehow doesnt seem to work.
Having been to IKON I can confirn that is certainly the case
:shock:

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:44 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Time for a touch of honesty:

One day I'll figure out how it's possible to make half a dozen shots of real quality that give great satisfaction, and four or five times that many that a ten year old would be ashamed of, all on the same day. I'm going to take a couple of lessons in how to play "old mens golf", in other words, how to act your age. If only I had the brains or the guts to play 3x four-irons down the middle on a par 5, a chip up and two puts for a six net four off a generous handicap, instead of a wild driver blast into the Forest of Dee or out of bounds, three off the tee or a dropped ball shot, or even attempting shots that would frighten Tiger Woods, I might get somewhere. I'm working on it, at least the psychological bit.

A twenty five year old head on a sixty seven year old body somehow doesnt seem to work. Strange, isn't it? :(
The thinking part of the game is what I've tried to work on the most but I still battle with moments of madness. All that 8th hole required was the smoothest of 3 irons down the left from the tee, and that would have left me a mid-iron into a green on a hole that gave me one of my two shots. Instead, I was taking pot shots at the 12 year olds on the adjacent fairway.

Though I think my forbearance had Billy questioning my sexuality when I suggested to him that I was considering laying up with my second shot on the par-5 14th.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:55 am

communistworkethic wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
A twenty five year old head on a sixty seven year old body somehow doesnt seem to work.
Having been to IKON I can confirn that is certainly the case
:shock:

:lol:

BoltonBilly
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Post by BoltonBilly » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:38 am

ratbert wrote: But Billy, WTF is the beef with that tank of yours?
LMAO! It's a ramification of having children! It started with them buying the felt blue and white BWFC dice, which I liked and dangle with pride from the windscreen, then it progressed to a Christmas present of the faux leopard skin seat covers, in nylon and sort of got out of hand with the tiger patterned stearing wheel cover with matching seat belt protector, which I was bought for my Birthday this March. It's all a bit random but that's some how comforting and in keeping.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:59 am

Another excellent day out this year, and thanks again to Commie for coming up trumps with the organisation and prizes and goodie bags and whatnot.

Personally I was happy with my stuff, by and large, although my putting left an awful lot to be desired. 3 times on the front nine I had birdie putts from around 30ft or so, and each time I succeeded in 3-putting. That and a couple of lost balls taken into account (which I managed to avoid last time round) I was pretty content with my 91 around that course. I'd like to think that on a good day round there I could shoot in the mid-low 80s, but then I don't get as much practice as I should. The conditions aside, though, I find that a really enjoyable course to play (and it always helps getting a net hole-in-one on the 7th ;) )

I very much enjoyed our little fourball, and apart from the weather on the 4th and 5th it was a decent day out, and getting to meet up with you chaps again - some good stuff was played, as was the fair share of rag stuff too.

I'd definitely be interested in a TW Masters, perhaps a bit more westwards than Bolton, but would doubt my availability for it. I shall keep my eyes peeled for any further information...

Cheers, chaps.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:44 pm

blurred - how about a tw masters at hoylake muni or arrowe park or suchlike? Or do any of the rawk boys play - we could have a shaun ryder cup.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:46 am

There's a fair few on RAWK who enjoy a hack, and I'd be up for a game at a more westerly course. Reckon that a TW v RAWK match'd be a belting idea (wonder if we'd be able to sneak mummy onto the RAWK side? :wink2:), although would take some time getting the numbers together and everything - might be a long-term project, that one (will see if I can sneak over a couple of our Irish members who are rather handy with a stick and a ball...)

We'll probably have to find a weekend for this 'ere TW Masters thingy when our fixtures don't clash. My first proposed date would be Sunday 2nd September (we've got Derby the day before at Anfield). Someone want to check Bolton's fixtures and see if that'd be a goer?

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:18 pm

Just checked as I was on the beeb site anyway, and you've got the Blueshite at home on the 1st September.

Anyone here available for this Sunday, then (2nd September)? Seems a good date, given that the weekend before is Mathew Street festival in town, and the one before that we've got Chelsea on the Sunday.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:58 pm

am sure I can be

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:03 pm

Not sure for me. Have got a 21st to go to on the 1st, and might even have to work in the afternoon of the 2nd.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families