The Open

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

The Open

Post by fatshaft » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:06 pm

Tips?

For me, the man in form is Fasth, Monty has been deadly from tee to green, putting has been ropey, and of course his Open record is shocking, so love to see it but can't.

Bjorn has also been playing well, and in the USA, Furyk has been looking good, and keeps the all in play.

You heard it here first :mrgreen:

1. Fasth 40/1 (various)
2. Furyk 22/1 (various)
3. Bjorn 100/1 (Ladbrokes)

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:04 am

You're right in saying that Fasth has been playing well, but I don't remember seeing make the weekend at The Open since 2001, when he finished either second or third at Lytham, and that was a good weather week (i.e. not much wind). Anyway, I don't think Carnoustie will suit him, especially if the wind blows.

I think I'm going to get the train up to Carnoustie on Friday and follow Woods for the weekend. Anyone else going?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:00 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote: I think I'm going to get the train up to Carnoustie on Friday and follow Woods for the weekend. Anyone else going?
Nah, we had the OPen here last year, and back at Birkdale next year, I'll get my fix. Also going to be in Scotland during the Scottish PGA, so may down to Gleneagles to watch then.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:08 am

Tiger by 4 shots ;)
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:47 am

it's always hard to bet against Tiger - especially with pre-tournament odds

I would really like to see a european make a go of it. Rose has done well in a few high profile tournaments lately as has Donald and Casey. Really want one of them to step up this time up.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:49 am

of the 3 I'd wager on Donald to be the first to get a major, but only when Bruce stops betting on him. As I said at teh US open, Rose has teh game but just not the mental toughness yet to win big. And casey, well I just think he's the "great white hope", a bit more hype than reality, though not as much hype as the ridiculously pantalooned one.

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:03 am

communistworkethic wrote:of the 3 I'd wager on Donald to be the first to get a major, but only when Bruce stops betting on him.
On ya go, fella, as this years kiss-off-death will be falling on Ernie Els. Actually, scrap the first bit, I'd better have a fiver on Donald as well as I don't want to miss out when he does actually do summat! :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:17 am

I'd like to see Donald do well, but his Open record is very poor.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:37 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:You're right in saying that Fasth has been playing well, but I don't remember seeing make the weekend at The Open since 2001, when he finished either second or third at Lytham, and that was a good weather week (i.e. not much wind). Anyway, I don't think Carnoustie will suit him, especially if the wind blows.
I would say the same if it was someone else's pick tbh, but he's been so hot lately, he's definetly stepped it up a gear.

His driving accuracy is at a career high, as is his GIR at over 72%

He's 6th overall in the top 7 statistical categories, 15th in shot accuracy.

Overall, he's just been very consistent lately, including in the bad weather of the last couple of weeks, Ireland in particular was horrible. Wind is forecast to barely get out of single digit mph all week, so shouldn't be much of a factor.

As ever, it's very very hard to pick a golf winner.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:50 am

fatshaft wrote:As ever, it's very very hard to pick a golf winner.
Which, to be fair, is why I very rarely bother trying, unless I'm saying the words 'Tiger Woods' to somebody.

I mean, I picked out Aaron Baddeley at the US Open, which looked like a great shout for a while, but how many back did he finish in the end?

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:53 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
fatshaft wrote:As ever, it's very very hard to pick a golf winner.
Which, to be fair, is why I very rarely bother trying, unless I'm saying the words 'Tiger Woods' to somebody.

I mean, I picked out Aaron Baddeley at the US Open, which looked like a great shout for a while, but how many back did he finish in the end?
Well I consider myself "hot" at the moment, having picked Monty for the Irish at 25/1. Hope to keep it going. Did bust last week mind.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:53 pm

Els was looking good at Loch Lomond, so did Mickelson. The rules them out then.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:24 pm

mickelson was all over the place on the last day! I played half those holes better than he did!

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:36 pm

tempted on punts for woods (yeah boring i know) and stenson

but yeah, as has been said, golf such an unpredictably wonderful sport

carnoustie supposedly a lot fairer this time round after 99

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:48 pm

communistworkethic wrote:I played half those holes better than he did!
you weren't saying shit like that before you invented your handicap

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:49 pm

James B wrote:tempted on punts for woods (yeah boring i know) and stenson

apparently not very friendly though as the wind is blowing around 30mph off the sea.

Loved the comment in the sun.... "the 514yard 14th which would normally be a driver and a 9-iron for the world number 1" A driver and a 9iron???????? :shock:

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:25 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
James B wrote:tempted on punts for woods (yeah boring i know) and stenson

apparently not very friendly though as the wind is blowing around 30mph off the sea.

Loved the comment in the sun.... "the 514yard 14th which would normally be a driver and a 9-iron for the world number 1" A driver and a 9iron???????? :shock:
Aye, but the pros iron's are a couple of degrees strong mind :wink:

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:30 pm

yeah that'll be the difference

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:05 pm

Well I have been Luke Donald's biggest fan ever since the Walker Cup about 7 years ago - but I don't think this will be his week - I expect him to win a US open before ours.

Much as I would love to see one of ours win again, I have a sneaking feeling for Furyk.

Obviously betting against Woods is asking for trouble, but if Furyk is 22/1 then that is the best bet.

My other wild card would be Adam Scott - who could easily end up being Woods eventual succeesor as No 1 - but when I have seen him recently he has been just short of his best.

Sod Setanta - I used to enjoy the US golf on a Sunday night!!!

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:06 pm

Furyk is always a good each-way bet for sure