The Open

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:11 pm

I fancy Montgimerie to finally break his quack...we just need more rain and wind....

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:23 pm

£6 on Woods @ 4.2, £5 on Stenson @ 55 and £4 on Jacqueline @ 290 all unmatched on betfair, they should be matched in the next 24 hrs all being well.

can't wait for thursday.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:53 am

I think Tiger will get a 'baby bounce' and win that three in a row, a huge incentive. BUT he has to drive straight.

Failing that, Ernie Els with Fasth as outsider... Mr Faldo has a point about the Brits not being hungry enough for the big ones I'm afraid (though I hope to be proved wrong).

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The Open

Post by fatshaft » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:46 am

fatshaft wrote:Tips?

For me, the man in form is Fasth, Monty has been deadly from tee to green, putting has been ropey, and of course his Open record is shocking, so love to see it but can't.

Bjorn has also been playing well, and in the USA, Furyk has been looking good, and keeps the all in play.

You heard it here first :mrgreen:

1. Fasth 40/1 (various)
2. Furyk 22/1 (various)
3. Bjorn 100/1 (Ladbrokes)
I am such a divvy, left it to today and couldn't get the odds anymore. Fasth 35/1, Bjorn 90/1 :evil:

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:49 am

wililam hill are offering a free bet up to £100, and have Bjorn at 100-1, for first time callers on 0800 587 5973
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:51 am

communistworkethic wrote:wililam hill are offering a free bet up to £100, and have Bjorn at 100-1, for first time callers on 0800 587 5973
Sadly, got an account. I put my bets all on at PAddy Power as the had the best combined odds on the three. Not optimum betting like, but they weren't going to affect my mortgage payments :wink:

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:19 pm

garcia the clubhouse leader after day one but rory mcilroy surely the star of the day

only player not to bogey a hole and he looks about 14

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:56 pm

Woods looks in good nick, only a couple of stray shots around 12 and 13 stopped him shooting a very good score.

Luke Donald always get mentioned on here - he played well and shot 70 (-1).

I think Fasth finished a few over in the end.

Big stories of the day... big John Daly getting to -5 and pissing it away. The 18 year-old amateur living the dream and shooting a 68 that could easily have been a 66. But what golf from Garcia - it's his putting that has held him back these last ten years, but he looks really solid with that belly putter (is it cheating anchoring the putter to your body and letting it swing as a pendulum? I think it probably should be, but hey ho.)
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:24 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Woods looks in good nick, only a couple of stray shots around 12 and 13 stopped him shooting a very good score.

Luke Donald always get mentioned on here - he played well and shot 70 (-1).

I think Fasth finished a few over in the end.

Big stories of the day... big John Daly getting to -5 and pissing it away. The 18 year-old amateur living the dream and shooting a 68 that could easily have been a 66. But what golf from Garcia - it's his putting that has held him back these last ten years, but he looks really solid with that belly putter (is it cheating anchoring the putter to your body and letting it swing as a pendulum? I think it probably should be, but hey ho.)
Been in Lundun all day, so missed it, but yes my dead cert is 10 behind already :evil:

Love to see Garcia do it, hope the belly putter gets him there, but I have to agree these long putters are just not the game. You just have to find a way to work a normal putter, after all Langer came back from the yips countless times.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:16 am

I just can't have faith in Garcia. He's started off so well on so many occasions only to make a dogs dick of it soon after. I'd like to see him do well. Mind you, I seem to recall it was his putting that fecked him up last year (which is actually reassuring to see the top pro's miss 18 inchers) so maybe his big stick will help, I suppose we'll see. I've been away an' all, and didn't get a bet on before I went, so it looks like I won't be able to get one on until after the cuts been made.
May the bridges I burn light your way

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:26 am

fatshaft wrote: Love to see Garcia do it, hope the belly putter gets him there, but I have to agree these long putters are just not the game. You just have to find a way to work a normal putter, after all Langer came back from the yips countless times.
Langer who now uses a long putter too!

I actually don't think the long putters have been looked into seriously enough.

For me, they fundamentally transform the action of putting and that should at least be widely be acknowledged before even getting into the subject of whether that's desirable or not. I suppose what clouds the issue is that the very best putters are still those that use the regular putters.

Some interesting thoughts in this article from a couple of years ago:

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/news/yeartod ... utter.html
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:59 am

today should be an interesting day, very tight leaderboards, supposedly the worst conditions yet, and we'll see sergio garcia's metal being severely tested

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:00 am

James B wrote:today should be an interesting day, very tight leaderboards, supposedly the worst conditions yet, and we'll see sergio garcia's metal being severely tested
Betcha 50p he bottles it! :P

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:02 am

James B wrote:today should be an interesting day, very tight leaderboards, supposedly the worst conditions yet, and we'll see sergio garcia's metal being severely tested

metal what? arm?

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:03 am

Batman wrote:

metal what? arm?
club

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:09 am

Worthy4England wrote:I fancy Montgimerie to finally break his quack...we just need more rain and wind....
He wants to sack his Quack, I've never seen any sportsman allow his game to get on top of him so much since Scott Sellars.

And as regards the wind and the rain, personally I'm hoping that things brighten up before Coldplay decide to write a song about it. :shock:

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:25 am

I've just seen the Gary Player "drugs" interview - what a cock.. "whether it's creatine or steroids, there are players using drugs". Well aye if you take the range from legal food supplements up to steroids (of any type) then oh aye I be there are. Yes I took some ibuprofen this morning and creatine tablets - look at me the drug cheat. :roll:

never liked Player and his comments confirm my view that he's a prick. As so many players have pointed out the games too complex for drugs to make you bigger and stronger to be much help.

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:57 am

communistworkethic wrote:I've just seen the Gary Player "drugs" interview - what a cock.. "whether it's creatine or steroids, there are players using drugs". Well aye if you take the range from legal food supplements up to steroids (of any type) then oh aye I be there are. Yes I took some ibuprofen this morning and creatine tablets - look at me the drug cheat. :roll:

never liked Player and his comments confirm my view that he's a prick. As so many players have pointed out the games too complex for drugs to make you bigger and stronger to be much help.
Yes I was confused when he mentioned creatine too. Loads of professional sportsmen use that, and so do I.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:11 am

surprised you agree Mummy, I was expecting you to demand I hand over the TW open trophies! ;)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:22 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Yes I was confused when he mentioned creatine too. Loads of professional sportsmen use that, and so do I.
Is it a growth hormone? :fingers: