Nightclubs

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:11 pm

Last decent club I went to was Taskers on Manchester Road (yeah, that long ago). Used to be okay at one time. Probably closed down years ago now.

I was around at the dawn of invention in night clubs; when they first started hanging fake fishing nets, with their catch of Chianti bottles, on walls and using red bulbs to disguise the grot, then those flashing blue strobe things that made everybody look suntanned with dazzling white teeth and shirts. Trouble was they highlighted the dandruff on anybody with a jacket on. Must have had a deaf DJ too because suddenly nobody could talk and you had to shout to ask a girl important questions like: "Do you live local, have you got your own house and do you have a washing machine? Three "yes's" and you'd pulled. You look back now and sigh.."Ah, happy days" then admit they were sheer crap. Still went back for more though because the herd syndrome and the meeting of the beautiful people existed even then. After that it went downhill in a hurry.

Worse club ever was a biker hangout in Mawdsley Street. You walked in over a pile of helmets and leathers thrown on the deck, the decor was non-existent, the lighting was a couple of 60 watt bulbs dangling from the ceiling and "dancing" was a bunch of the great unwashed head-butting each other in the middle to the howls of Black Sabbath, Guns and Roses and Kiss. There are some benefits to old age after all. :lol:

Best clubs: The old Empress Hall in town. You could get a meal, dance and watch some top-class entrtainment there. The Platters (although not a big success by then) Jimmy Crawford Four etc etc, and of course Trevals on Halliwell. Great venue for adult music lovers and guest artists used to appear there for free because the keyboard player and drummer (Fred Shawcross) were so good.
Last edited by TANGODANCER on Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

walkingdownthemannyroad
Hopeful
Hopeful
Location: Near e'nuff to t'Ainsworth,so as not to get wet when crawlin' om.

Post by walkingdownthemannyroad » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:38 pm

Nice one Tango,do you mean The Bus Inn, which was behind Mawsdley St?

I think you and I are of a similar age. Do you remember "Playmate" on Bank St?

God, if there had been a fire in there..........

Also what was that place opposite the old police station,near the town hall, at the top of a load of steps?

When the bouncer threw you out, it was straight down the steps, ( a fate I never suffered!)
A wise old owl,lived in an oak.
The more he saw,the less he spoke.
The less he spoke,the more heard.
I wish I was that wise old bird.

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:39 pm

Tokyo Joes

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:47 pm

walkingdownthemannyroad wrote:Nice one Tango,do you mean The Bus Inn, which was behind Mawsdley St?

Also what was that place opposite the old police station,near the town hall, at the top of a load of steps?
When the bouncer threw you out, it was straight down the steps, ( a fate I never suffered!)
That was the beloved "Aspin Hall" Manny, and the man mountain bouncer was Bob Greenhalgh. I remember pre-Playmate when it was the Beachcomber (hence the fishing nets) and Bolton's first Indian restaurant, The Kismet, was across the road. I worked on the door at the Blue Lagoon next to the Wryton Stadium for a while and that wasn't for the faint-hearted..

Ref fires, a lot of my mates died in the old Top Story Club in Bolton. Nice to find someone who remembers those days.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:07 pm

Batman wrote:Tokyo Joes
GOD.
NO.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:10 pm

A shocker fer sure.

It's a scandalous place.

LeeRoyBrown
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by LeeRoyBrown » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:52 pm

Isn't Toks where a Mr Ricky Gardner frequents?

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:56 pm

Where a lot of the lads used to go.

Used to see Deano in there of a midweek, and even a young Nolan was in there..........now you just get tosspot Dingleburn players in there

walkingdownthemannyroad
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by walkingdownthemannyroad » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:00 pm

LeeRoyBrown wrote:Isn't Toks where a Mr Ricky Gardner frequents?
Not been in town for a good few years now.

Sounds like Tokyo Joes is a place to avoid, where is it?

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:06 pm

No longer so called.

Lava and Ignite :roll:

A shower of shite. Just up the main high street.

Go to Roper Hall instead

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:06 pm

or the Warehouse

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:22 pm

One thing's for sure, Bolton has an absolute dearth of anywhere decent to go out.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:23 pm

Best place to go out in Bolton is Manchester

walkingdownthemannyroad
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by walkingdownthemannyroad » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:23 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
walkingdownthemannyroad wrote:Nice one Tango,do you mean The Bus Inn, which was behind Mawsdley St?

That was the beloved "Aspin Hall" Manny, and the man mountain bouncer was Bob Greenhalgh. I remember pre-Playmate when it was the Beachcomber (hence the fishing nets) and Bolton's first Indian restaurant, The Kismet, was across the road. I worked on the door at the Blue Lagoon next to the Wryton Stadium for a while and that wasn't for the faint-hearted..

Ref fires, a lot of my mates died in the old Top Story Club in Bolton. Nice to find someone who remembers those days.
Only ever got in the Beachcomber once, Tango,memory a bit hazy, but got fond memories of the Kismet. I knew a friend who used to go in there every weekend p!ssed,eat his meal,then do a runner, but went back the night after and pay for his meal. Then he would order another meal,eat that,then do another runner!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honest!!! You could'nt write it!

One Saturday he went in, and while he was eating, they loosened the door handle. As usual, he jumps up,gets to the door, the handle comes of in his hand and he ends up flat on his back, and the whole restaurant is p!ssing their sides.....Priceless.

Went in The Blue Lagoon once or twice,very young lad. As you say,not for the faint hearted..........

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:24 pm

:lol:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:23 am

walkingdownthemannyroad wrote:
Only ever got in the Beachcomber once, Tango,memory a bit hazy, but got fond memories of the Kismet. I knew a friend who used to go in there every weekend p!ssed,eat his meal,then do a runner, but went back the night after and pay for his meal. Then he would order another meal,eat that,then do another runner!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honest!!! You could'nt write it!

One Saturday he went in, and while he was eating, they loosened the door handle. As usual, he jumps up,gets to the door, the handle comes of in his hand and he ends up flat on his back, and the whole restaurant is p!ssing their sides.....Priceless.

Went in The Blue Lagoon once or twice,very young lad. As you say,not for the faint hearted..........
Made me laugh Manny. Doing a runner was quite commonplace then. Do you remember the little Chines place opposite St Pat's church on Great Moor Street? (Tai-Tung?) That was a favourite runner hang out. Got so bad at one time they had two guys on the door to catch em. Another was House of Orange on Bradshawgate. The Kismet served brilliant curries though.

My brother was home on leave once with three of his mates from the Paras. One dxxkhead kicked off in the Great Moor St place and my brothers mate, a big Geordie, finished up wrapping the guy's tie round a table leg. Twas quite funny then to see four Chinese guys hanging off him to prevent him strangling the plonker.

Lennon
Promising
Promising

Post by Lennon » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:29 pm

Batman wrote:or the Warehouse
8) Good call. I was in there on my own on Saturday night because I couldn't get in Squires with my mates due to having no collar. Absolutely wrecked from matchday drinking. Had a cracking time as usual. A night out is what you make of it.

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:11 pm

Batman wrote:No longer so called.

Lava and Ignite :roll:

A shower of shite. Just up the main high street.

Go to Roper Hall instead
I heard that Lava was meant to be good. :conf: Apparently Ikon is being turned into 1 soon. Which is just as well, seeing as it is the second worst club in Bolton, after j2.

Warehouse is good, had a great night out there a few weeks back.

Bolton will be packed tonight though, A-Level results and all that, can't be arsed with the compulsory exam celebrations.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:12 pm

funny things, clubs. prefer late bars myself although dont ask me to define the difference!!
they served there purpose back at uni and school though, wouldnt swop any of my nights out for anything now, although it was usually the journeys home where the real fun was to be had!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:23 pm

Always hated clubs. Not been in one since I went in Peppermint Place in Blackburn in the early 1990s. Some lad barges into me and gives me a shedload of abuse. Me being full of ale bravely says "Have a pop then mate, if you fancy yer chances"

He only bloody did didnt he?

Cue Mr G on his arse with a fat lip :oops:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"