THE GREAT WHITE DEATH!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: THE GREAT WHITE DEATH!

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:18 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:

Oh ffs Monty!! :lol:
What? I just thought it was interesting (amusing) that the circulator of the pic claimed it was a British Navy helicopter off the coast of South Africa when it was clearly a US helicopter in the Bay area photographed against one of the most famous landmarks in the world. I guess no one else thought that funny. :oops:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lennon
Promising
Promising

Post by Lennon » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:35 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:I was looking for that bugger everywhere!

Cheers Lennon :D
On a related note, I only found out last night that Rob Shaw (who played Quint in Jaws) was born in Westhoughton! :shock:

I honestly had no idea until my dad mentioned it.

perfan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by perfan » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:36 pm

Lennon wrote:
Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:I was looking for that bugger everywhere!

Cheers Lennon :D
On a related note, I only found out last night that Rob Shaw (who played Quint in Jaws) was born in Westhoughton! :shock:

I honestly had no idea until my dad mentioned it.
The Wetherspoons there is named after him.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:52 pm

For anyone who is interested, 'Shark week 20th anniversary special' is on the Discovery Channel on the 18th August (Saturday) from what I've seen, it's going to cover just about everything posted on here.

Should be seriously good viewing!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Le Snake
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Le Snake » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:22 pm

Thanks, but I'm hiding behind my couch that day

Lennon
Promising
Promising

Post by Lennon » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:15 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:For anyone who is interested, 'Shark week 20th anniversary special' is on the Discovery Channel on the 18th August (Saturday) from what I've seen, it's going to cover just about everything posted on here.

From what I've seen, every bloody day is some sort of Shark Special Anniversay Bonanza on the discovery channel. Well, either that or 'Celebrating Hitler'.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:23 pm

Lennon wrote:
Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:For anyone who is interested, 'Shark week 20th anniversary special' is on the Discovery Channel on the 18th August (Saturday) from what I've seen, it's going to cover just about everything posted on here.

From what I've seen, every bloody day is some sort of Shark Special Anniversay Bonanza on the discovery channel. Well, either that or 'Celebrating Hitler'.
Bloody Newcastle fans!!

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:30 pm

Was looking back at the Ireland thread. Got a good laugh going back through this one Soldier. Still one of the most involved first posts to a thread ever!

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:48 pm

A giant shark that could be up to 20ft long has sent shockwaves across Australian beaches after a great white was nearly bitten in half. There is a photo if you can access this website.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World- ... 0415419981

A stunning picture shows a 10ft predator thrashing about with two massive chunks missing on either side of its body, off the Queensland coast.

Experts said its rival may be 20ft (about six metres) long, judging by the size of the huge bites.

The great white was savaged after it got snared on a drum line - a baited hook attached to a buoy - near North Stradbroke Island, east of Brisbane.

The wounded creature was still alive when a crew hauled it onto a boat, close to Deadman's Beach.

"It certainly opened up my eyes. I mean the shark that was caught is a substantial shark in itself," Queensland Fisheries' Jeff Krause told Australia's Daily Telegraph.

Swimmers have been warned to stay out of the water near the island.

The attack also worried many at a nearby tourist Mecca - Surfers Paradise, south of Brisbane.

Surfer Ashton Smith, 19, of the Gold Coast, told the Courier Mail: "I've heard about the big one lurking. Every surfer is always cautious over here."

Drum lines and shark nets are used to defend swimmers from sea predators, but they have been criticised for occasionally trapping migrating whales.

Fisheries minister Tim Mulherin told the Mail that the capture of the bitten shark - and the indication of a larger one feeding in the area - bolstered the decision to keep defences in place.

He added there were no special plans to hunt the attacking shark but contractors had reset the drum lines.

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:23 pm

On that Planet Earth they showed in slow-motion a Great White biting a seal in mid-air, it was mega.

Well, mega and terrifying at the same time!
Troll and proud of it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:26 pm

Looks like it lost an argument with a big propeller.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:53 pm

We're going to need a bigger boat.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:56 pm

Looking at the image I wonder if the 'tethered' shark became a target for one or more bull sharks rather than some denizen of the deep. From my reading, and what's left of my memory, the bull shark is probably the most likely culprit when it comes to shark attacks (particularly the fatal ones). These delightful creatures are apparently able to swap between salt or fresh water, are happy to flip around in very shallow areas and love picnics in estuaries and lakes.

Ye Olde Bull Shark is not confined to the waters of my country; they seem to roam the world.

Happy swimming. :mrgreen:

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:34 pm

malcd1 wrote:A giant shark that could be up to 20ft long has sent shockwaves across Australian beaches after a great white was nearly bitten in half. There is a photo if you can access this website.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World- ... 0415419981

A stunning picture shows a 10ft predator thrashing about with two massive chunks missing on either side of its body, off the Queensland coast.

Experts said its rival may be 20ft (about six metres) long, judging by the size of the huge bites.

The great white was savaged after it got snared on a drum line - a baited hook attached to a buoy - near North Stradbroke Island, east of Brisbane.

The wounded creature was still alive when a crew hauled it onto a boat, close to Deadman's Beach.

"It certainly opened up my eyes. I mean the shark that was caught is a substantial shark in itself," Queensland Fisheries' Jeff Krause told Australia's Daily Telegraph.

Swimmers have been warned to stay out of the water near the island.

The attack also worried many at a nearby tourist Mecca - Surfers Paradise, south of Brisbane.

Surfer Ashton Smith, 19, of the Gold Coast, told the Courier Mail: "I've heard about the big one lurking. Every surfer is always cautious over here."

Drum lines and shark nets are used to defend swimmers from sea predators, but they have been criticised for occasionally trapping migrating whales

Fisheries minister Tim Mulherin told the Mail that the capture of the bitten shark - and the indication of a larger one feeding in the area - bolstered the decision to keep defences in place.

He added there were no special plans to hunt the attacking shark but contractors had reset the drum lines.

Wow a surfer strung a sentance together :)

As for the lines and nets, its the sharks domain so fecking stay out and go to the pool :)

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:06 pm

Watched a programme on 5 the other day (really, there was f*ck all else on) that said there are pods of Killer Whales that now actively hunt Great White, because they've found their achilles heel....which is they play dead when you turn them upside down. A guy demonstrated it with a baby shark. So all you have to do is turn one upside down.

Its great when us mammals stick together.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:16 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Watched a programme on 5 the other day (really, there was f*ck all else on) that said there are pods of Killer Whales that now actively hunt Great White, because they've found their achilles heel....which is they play dead when you turn them upside down. A guy demonstrated it with a baby shark. So all you have to do is turn one upside down.
Thats assuming your arms are stiil attached to your body!!!

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:55 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Watched a programme on 5 the other day (really, there was f*ck all else on) that said there are pods of Killer Whales that now actively hunt Great White, because they've found their achilles heel....which is they play dead when you turn them upside down. A guy demonstrated it with a baby shark. So all you have to do is turn one upside down.

Thanks for that LK. I'll remember that next time I see a 20ft Great White. :wink:

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:59 pm

malcd1 wrote:

Thanks for that LK. I'll remember that next time I see a 20ft Great White. :wink:
You might need a week or two in the gym first though.

I do love Killer Whales though. I never tire of seeing and watching them play. Even when fishing, although it does mean time to move on as there will be no salmon hanging around long with them in the vicinity.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:07 pm

If I ruled the world id hunt them all down and make them extinct! them and other fishy human killing critters! also bears, and crocs, alligators, poisonous snakes & spiders! And probably lions & tigers too. Bastards!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:27 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:If I ruled the world id hunt them all down and make them extinct! them and other fishy human killing critters! also bears, and crocs, alligators, poisonous snakes & spiders! And probably lions & tigers too. Bastards!
Oi!! hold on there just a little!

Your only still a General, I ain't put you in charge of policy yet :mrgreen:

Besides to carry out such an audicious project we have to take out Greenpeace and friends of the Earth first!!