No wonder kids in the USA hate soccer.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

libreg
Hopeful
Hopeful

No wonder kids in the USA hate soccer.

Post by libreg » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:15 pm

They have a completely different perception of the game. We were playing soccer in Gym for the first time, and what we were playing wasn't football. It was CHAOS. Basically, what happened was whenever someone received the ball, he just kicked it. As far away as possible. If it was a lucky case, he would pass it, roughly, to the wrong person. This one guys said, "Soccer's a funny game.". Yeah, fecking hilarious. Especially the way you retards are playing it.
Not to mention the first thing they think of when they hear the word "football" is some sweaty guys crashing into each other all day, and when they hear the word "soccer" they think of south americans.... when I say that Italians and Britons are the best at football, they say, "WHITE PEOPLE CAN PLAY SOCCER?!?!?!?". Or, if they think it's only white people, they think it's unheard of for black people to be good at the sport :crazy:
Shit, I fecking hate America sometimes. The only thing I'm actually proud about in this country is the idea itself, of how this country is supposed to be (land of the free, all people in the world as one), and our fecking national team. "Landon Donovan is sooooo hot."
Yeah.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:27 pm

Sounds like football ala our junior school years way back. :) Course we had no tellies then. These days kids watch good sides on TV, are taught tactics and the skills of some of them are quite amazing. Kick and rush football died years ago...oh, except at Bolton Wanderers of course, they still play it. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:28 pm

We used a crushed cola can at our school.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:58 pm

Batman wrote:We used a crushed cola can at our school.
You were lucky! :D
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:06 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
Zulu, when I was at Thornleigh we played a game with a tennis ball up against the banking to the right hand side of the playground. There were 3 sloping steps and the idea was to kick the tennis ball aginst each stage and, when you got to the low wall at the top, the ball was kicked hard against this. The last person to reach the top had to kick the tennis ball from where it had landed down the playground (sometimes form outside the music room) It definitely helped placing accuracy and general ball skills. Was there a version when you were there, or Bobo?
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:12 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:
Zulu, when I was at Thornleigh we played a game with a tennis ball up against the banking to the right hand side of the playground. There were 3 sloping steps and the idea was to kick the tennis ball aginst each stage and, when you got to the low wall at the top, the ball was kicked hard against this. The last person to reach the top had to kick the tennis ball from where it had landed down the playground (sometimes form outside the music room) It definitely helped placing accuracy and general ball skills. Was there a version when you were there, or Bobo?
With the slope on Thornleigh's football pitch that sounds about right Enfield. Only place I know where you could take a corner kick and if you hit it a bit hard it finished three fields away. :mrgreen:

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:14 pm

Anyone remember that pitch somewhere in Bromley Cross? It was like playing on the side of a mountain - the slope was massive

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:19 pm

Batman wrote:Anyone remember that pitch somewhere in Bromley Cross? It was like playing on the side of a mountain - the slope was massive
There are no flat bits in Bromley Cross. :mrgreen:

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:20 pm

Good mate of mine is coaching over there at the moment and says the knowledge levels are very low, but that's to be expected I suppose. I wouldn't fancy the dads of Lancashire to know what their kids were doing if they started playing American Football either. It's still the most popular youth participation sport isn't it?
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:22 pm

Athers wrote:Good mate of mine is coaching over there at the moment
How did he get into that, Athers, if you don't mind me asking? Someone I know is currently taking her badges and has an eye on moving over there to surf the wave, so to speak...

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:22 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Batman wrote:Anyone remember that pitch somewhere in Bromley Cross? It was like playing on the side of a mountain - the slope was massive
not just me then

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:23 pm

those poor US wonderkids

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:23 pm

Batman wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
not just me then
Nope, nearest flat bit was Castle Hill. :mrgreen:

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:25 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Athers wrote:Good mate of mine is coaching over there at the moment
How did he get into that, Athers, if you don't mind me asking? Someone I know is currently taking her badges and has an eye on moving over there to surf the wave, so to speak...

depending on age there is a version of 'camp america' for US soccer schools, friend of mine did that - spent a summer in california playing footy. bliss

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:26 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Batman wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
not just me then
Nope, nearest flat bit was Castle Hill. :mrgreen:
we lost every time we played in bromley cross, stood no chance against those used to playing on the slope

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:55 pm

DSB - He's using the MLS Camps project, which I think is the official coaching set up, I've heard nothing but good reviews and good on the social side of things as well. He's been there since Spring and is returning to England in a couple of weeks (co-incides with the season over there I think). He's been based in Conneticut but has been over to California and New York at times as well. As an aside, Chris Bart-Williams went doing the same thing!

Also had another mate who did 6 weeks over there with a company called NOGA.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:14 pm

Athers wrote:DSB - He's using the MLS Camps project, which I think is the official coaching set up, I've heard nothing but good reviews and good on the social side of things as well. He's been there since Spring and is returning to England in a couple of weeks (co-incides with the season over there I think). He's been based in Conneticut but has been over to California and New York at times as well. As an aside, Chris Bart-Williams went doing the same thing!

Also had another mate who did 6 weeks over there with a company called NOGA.
Cheers, will pass it on.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:40 pm

Batman wrote:we lost every time we played in bromley cross, stood no chance against those used to playing on the slope
Glad our side weren't the only ones to suffer, although thankfully we only played there in cup games IIRC as we played in the Salford League.

Used to play football in the house with several scrunched up bits of newspaper stuck together with sellotape, but playing football with a tennis ball in the playground does wonders for your first touch.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:00 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:
Certainly was.

But, for me the real football learning curve their was playing on the main pitch in the tarmac yard where there could easily be 150+ kids playing 7 or 8 separate games, all at once.

No-one ever kicked the wrong ball and it was v rare to have people bump into each other.

I posted my v v long article on "Primary School Football Rules" back some years ago, but can't find it. I can either re-input it, or ask someone to find the link.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:18 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:
Certainly was.

But, for me the real football learning curve their was playing on the main pitch in the tarmac yard where there could easily be 150+ kids playing 7 or 8 separate games, all at once.

No-one ever kicked the wrong ball and it was v rare to have people bump into each other.

I posted my v v long article on "Primary School Football Rules" back some years ago, but can't find it. I can either re-input it, or ask someone to find the link.
http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/vi ... 581#102581
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.