Living in the big shmoke...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:55 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Some have already mentioned bits but here is my advice after 15 years of moving around London - apologies if it sounds obvious!

1st, decide what your priorities are:

1. Easy commute?
2. Nice area?
3. Close to lots of bars/pubs etc?
4. Easy access to other parts of town?
5. Close to big supermarkets?
6. Close to outdoor spaces/parks?

and so on...

For Westminster it is on the Jubilee Line and District Line. Some places maybe to consider:

Willesden Green - zone2/3 on the Jubilee Line. Approx 20 minutes to Westminster
Pros - easy access to central London and work. Jubilee Line is generally one of the better tube lines. Near to West Hampstead and the Czech bar! A few stops from Baker St and Regent's Park. Also, you are near to Wembley so easy access for the Play-off Finals next season!!!

Cons - Not the most asthetically pleasing on the eye, but for your budget there are far worse! A bit close to Neasden which is a shitehole!

Ealing - zone 3 on District and Central Lines. Approx 35 minutes to Westminster
I don't know Ealing that well but from what I know it is an ok place. A bit further out but not too far.

Other areas that may or may not fit in budget that are easy to get to Westminster -

Hammersmith
Ravenscourt Park
Finchley Rd

Stay clear of East London - lived there a few years and its shite. If you don't mind nearer an hour commute then Barnet and Enfield are good.

price in London will depend on the houseshare itself. The more people you share with generally the cheaper it is. A big houseshare could make a more expensive area more affordable. Good places to look are Loot and Gumtree - http://www.gumtree.com

I pass through Westminster every day. It takes about 20 minutes from Chiswick, however, you'll be lucky to find anything near budget there. If you can then I highly recommend it. Lots of green space, shops, bars and restaurants. close to town and lots of good looking women :mrgreen:

Hope this helps a bit...
Enfield is da bom diggeddy!, but AT's right. Westminster to Enfield can be a bit of a drag. If you can get roung Ealing common or Gunnersbury there's plenty of life round Chiswick High Road and scope to get into Central London too.

Happy hunting and welcome to London.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:08 pm

I'm just off Chiswick High Rd. Even got a Michelin Star restaurant at the end of my street :shock:

Too posh for the likes of me :mrgreen:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:37 pm

Gumtree's well worth checking. In addition to AT's Tubetastic suggestions, I'd point out that you could live south of the river (as I do, well south-west, actually slightly west of the river...) and get overland trains into Waterloo (five minutes' walk from Westminster) or for that matter, depending where your placement is, Victoria. The Journey Planner should give you an idea of commute times. Bear in mind that an extra 10-15 minutes' commute either way may give you a hell of a lot more bang for your buck.

I used to live Wandsworth Common/Balham kinda way and that's quite pleasant, lots of sharing opportunities down that way.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:43 pm

I struggle with the concept of being south of the river; must be the northerner in me :wink: I managed a year in Greenwich before the urge to return north of the river took over. Greenwich incidentally is a great place to live, though its not great for Westminster. Also the trains finish really early so not good for late night drinking in town :(

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:45 pm

I generally find south Londoners more friendly than north Londoners, who more often fit the ignorant stereotype. But then, there's nice folks and knobheads wherever you go.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:52 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I generally find south Londoners more friendly than north Londoners, who more often fit the ignorant stereotype. But then, there's nice folks and knobheads wherever you go.
I know what you mean. In Chiswick they are politely ignorant! TBH most of London is quite ignorant, but none is as bad as around Canary Wharf and the City where all the w..bankers are to be found :roll:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:07 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:In Chiswick they are politely ignorant!
That's an interesting term, AT. Care to explain, Sir? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
They smile whilst barging into you with their designer shopping bags rather than offer you out for a scrap (or whatever the popuular term for a scrap is these days)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:23 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
They smile whilst barging into you with their designer shopping bags rather than offer you out for a scrap (or whatever the popuular term for a scrap is these days)
Oh, Excellent description. One of my mates lives in Chiswick, but he's from Wrexham and has earned a few quid so, naturally, he gives as good as he gets.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:37 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Oh, Excellent description. One of my mates lives in Chiswick, but he's from Wrexham and has earned a few quid so, naturally, he gives as good as he gets.
I have sharp elbows, big feet and long legs. Quite effective for tripping and and getting my own back. That said its a nice place to live for London

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:52 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I have sharp elbows, big feet and long legs. Quite effective for tripping and and getting my own back. That said its a nice place to live for London
Indeed it is. For me, the beauty of Chiswick High Road is that you can go out for dinner in the evening, get on one, go home and then turn back up to score your breakfast in the morning all on the same stretch. It's absolutely magnificent. :mrgreen:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:03 pm

The biggest problem is choosing which establishment to frequent

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:05 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:The biggest problem is choosing which establishment to frequent
So choose at random!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:The biggest problem is choosing which establishment to frequent
So choose at random!
or nearest walk/crawl from my house :mrgreen:

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:44 pm

Chiswick High Road is comparable to the area between Highbury & Islington and The Angel Station known locally as ''goin' darn the 'Sling''

Excellent Pubs bars restaurants etc. and handy for The Garage (a superlative music venue) :mrgreen:

Londoners may not all be polite, but they do live in the entertainment capital of the country.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:51 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:Chiswick High Road is comparable to the area between Highbury & Islington and The Angel Station known locally as ''goin' darn the 'Sling''

Excellent Pubs bars restaurants etc. and handy for The Garage (a superlative music venue) :mrgreen:

Londoners may not all be polite, but they do live in the entertainment capital of the country.
And you get to bump in to the rich and famous; like you did with our Pen :mrgreen:

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:23 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:Chiswick High Road is comparable to the area between Highbury & Islington and The Angel Station known locally as ''goin' darn the 'Sling''

And you get to bump in to the rich and famous; like you did with our Pen :mrgreen:
Not ours, mine! :whack:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:04 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Not ours, mine! :whack:
I wasn't meaning our as in share, I meant mine. but thats all in the past, Kate beckinsale ia where it's at :mrgreen:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:15 pm

When did they all move to Manchester then? :conf:

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:31 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

When did they all move to Manchester then? :conf:
Match days of course!