FAO Monty (or any of the US based members)

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Radcliffe Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

FAO Monty (or any of the US based members)

Post by Radcliffe Wanderer » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:07 pm

Hi Monty,

Not posted as much as I would have liked on here but just wanted to say well done to the Canadiens in beating the Bruins, a five goal shut-out in the deciding game was a superb result.

You may remember I while ago that I said I followed the Rangers and at the time they were struggling, however they did really well to overcome the Devils and I just wondered what you thought their chances are of progressing further? I am visiting NYC in May for my 30th and would love to go to a game, however unlikely it is that I would be able to get tickets.

Also, how and when are the next round of matches decided?

Thanks.
"That would have been a goal if the keeper hadn't saved it!" Kevin Keegan, circa 1998 World Cup.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: FAO Monty (or any of the US based members)

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:33 pm

Radcliffe Wanderer wrote:Hi Monty,

Not posted as much as I would have liked on here but just wanted to say well done to the Canadiens in beating the Bruins, a five goal shut-out in the deciding game was a superb result.

You may remember I while ago that I said I followed the Rangers and at the time they were struggling, however they did really well to overcome the Devils and I just wondered what you thought their chances are of progressing further? I am visiting NYC in May for my 30th and would love to go to a game, however unlikely it is that I would be able to get tickets.

Also, how and when are the next round of matches decided?

Thanks.
Hi RW:

Thanks - it was a close series and Boston played well beyond expectations.
After this round, the top seed (Montreal) will play the lowest seed left (i.e. fourth seed). The second seed (Pittsburgh) will play the third seed. Which are the third and fourth seed will depend on what happens tonight in Washington. If Philadelphia wins Montreal will play them and Pittsburgh will play the Rangers. If Washington wins, Montreal will play the Rangers and Pittsburgh will play Washington.

Rangers are a good team and in form. We do do not play well against them. So I would rather play Philadelphia given the choice.

I don't know what your chances of getting tickets are. Just google '"New York Rangers" tickets' and you'll find a bunch of online outfits. The problem is the dates are not known yet (again depending on what happens tonight). If Philadelphia win and Montreal and Pittsburgh are knocked out, Rangers take over the number one seed although they are currently fourth (third if Washington loses).

Good luck.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Radcliffe Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Radcliffe Wanderer » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:52 pm

Thanks for the info.

From what you say, perhaps it would be better if the Rangers end up playing Montreal.

As for tickets, I have seen all the available outlets, but as you say, seeing as the dates are as yet unknown it is difficult to get any information. From what I have read, it would seem tickets are very difficult to come by but you never know.

I am in New York from May 19 so I assume that the Rangers would have to beat either Pittsburgh or Montreal to go into the next round for them to be playing a game while I am there.
"That would have been a goal if the keeper hadn't saved it!" Kevin Keegan, circa 1998 World Cup.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:03 pm

Radcliffe Wanderer wrote:Thanks for the info.

From what you say, perhaps it would be better if the Rangers end up playing Montreal.

As for tickets, I have seen all the available outlets, but as you say, seeing as the dates are as yet unknown it is difficult to get any information. From what I have read, it would seem tickets are very difficult to come by but you never know.

I am in New York from May 19 so I assume that the Rangers would have to beat either Pittsburgh or Montreal to go into the next round for them to be playing a game while I am there.
The assumption is correct. I believe the third round (Eastern Final) will begin on May 18. Rangers first two home games will be the third and fourth games in the series unless the opponent is Philadelphia (in which case it would be the first and second). Home games 3 (and 4) are only played if necessary so may not happen.

You can usually buy tickets from scalpers but they may be costly. Go to a bar and watch on the big screen may be the best option.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Radcliffe Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Radcliffe Wanderer » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:09 pm

Thanks Monty,

A bar will probably be the best (and cheapest) option.

I just hope they can stay in contention for as long as possible, beating the Devils was a great start.

Here's hoping.

Let's Go Rangers!!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:19 pm

Radcliffe Wanderer wrote:Thanks Monty,

A bar will probably be the best (and cheapest) option.

I just hope they can stay in contention for as long as possible, beating the Devils was a great start.

Here's hoping.

Let's Go Rangers!!!
Everyone (except we Canadiens fans) wants a Washington-Pittsburgh series - the two (arguably three) greatest young stars in the game going head to head - Alexander the Great Ovechkin against Sid the Kid Crosby (and Evgeni Malkin). Me, I want an easy ride against the Flyers and let the Rangers and Penguins beat each other up.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:59 pm

The Universe unfolded as Montreal wished it. Philadelphia won in overtime, and the Rangers will play Pittsburgh (Thank heavens).

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:04 pm

Read that Montreal could play Dallas in the Stanley Cup - pitting Messrs Hicks and Gillett against one another..
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:30 pm

Athers wrote:Read that Montreal could play Dallas in the Stanley Cup - pitting Messrs Hicks and Gillett against one another..
Perhaps you read it here... http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/vi ... 278#350278 :wink:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:36 pm

Am I right in assuming, this is a cold floor hockeyball thread?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:03 pm

boltonboris wrote:Am I right in assuming, this is a cold floor hockeyball thread?
No ball, it's a puck thread.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:05 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Am I right in assuming, this is a cold floor hockeyball thread?
well in that case I'll puck off, shall I?!

As it happens (without knowing too much about the sport) I love to watch it and my favourites are the Red Wings

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:10 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

As it happens (without knowing too much about the sport) I love to watch it and my favourites are the Red Wings
The Detroit Dead Things? They are pretty good so naturally I hate them. I don't suppose too many games are shown in the UK, although video highlights are available on TSN. Fortunately we will not have to face the Red Wings until the final (should we both get there) as they are in the Western Conference.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:12 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

The Detroit Dead Things? They are pretty good so naturally I hate them. I don't suppose too many games are shown in the UK, although video highlights are available on TSN. Fortunately we will not have to face the Red Wings until the final (should we both get there) as they are in the Western Conference.
Games are shown on 5 at daft o' clock in the morning before or after MLS. Always liked the Jersey's than anything else.. Childish reason I know, but it just kind of stuck

Radcliffe Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Radcliffe Wanderer » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:00 pm

The play-off games have been shown live on NASN over here which I get as part of my Setanta subscription. Due to the time difference though they tend to be on too late so they are replayed later on the next day.

Throughout the regular season, they tend to show a game every couple of days.

In fact, the Calgary - San Jose game is on in a short while.

Monty, what do you think the Canadiens and Rangers prospects are in the semis then. I assume you think that Montreal will have no major problems seeing it is the match-up you wanted.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:12 pm

Radcliffe Wanderer wrote:The play-off games have been shown live on NASN over here which I get as part of my Setanta subscription. Due to the time difference though they tend to be on too late so they are replayed later on the next day.

Throughout the regular season, they tend to show a game every couple of days.

In fact, the Calgary - San Jose game is on in a short while.

Monty, what do you think the Canadiens and Rangers prospects are in the semis then. I assume you think that Montreal will have no major problems seeing it is the match-up you wanted.
There is never an easy series but I'd certainly prefer the Flyers to the Rangers. I think we were 4-0 against them this season and their goalie, Biron, has not beaten us in two years. The problem is overconfidence - we were 8-0 against Boston this year and they took us to the wall. Rangers-Penguins should be a great series. Rangers have the better goalie (and that counts for a lot), but the Penguins goalie, Fleury, has just hit a patch of good form. Rangers have the aging superstars (Jagr and Shannahan), veterans (Drury and Gomez) and some young talent (Staal) - and a wild card in Avery. Pittsburgh have some outstanding scorers (Crosby, Malkin, Hossa), veteran presence (Roberts), a troublemaker (Ruutu), a thug (Laraque) and another Staal brother. Frankly it is a toss-up with a slight edge to Pittsburgh. In Montreal we just hope they beat each other up for seven games. If we get by Philadelphia it would make life easier if the winner was exhausted.

The other Montrealer on here, naios, supports the Flyers :twisted: so may have a different view.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:02 pm

RW, there is a fairly good analysis of both team here. as well as the schedule. The two teams won three and lost three in the season - however, the Rangers scored overtime victories in the remaining two.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:11 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:RW, there is a fairly good analysis of both team here. as well as the schedule. The two teams won three and lost three in the season - however, the Rangers scored overtime victories in the remaining two.
Did they get paid time an' half?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:04 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:RW, there is a fairly good analysis of both team here. as well as the schedule. The two teams won three and lost three in the season - however, the Rangers scored overtime victories in the remaining two.
Did they get paid time an' half?
No, they lost it because of a quick strike. Oddly, the players do not get paid for the post season by the team although I believe the League itself gives some amount to the players for each round a team continues.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:46 pm

I'm afraid your Rangers may be toast, RW. Down 0-3 in a best of seven playoff, any comeback is extremely improbable. Only two teams have ever overcome such a deficit. Sorry.