Political Ramblings of an Idiot

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 10, 2008 10:54 pm

Dujon wrote:Patriotism;Nationalism;Jingoism: There are so many grey areas that, at least linguistically, they can seem to overlap - at least in the English language they can. I cannot speak for other languages as I am not multilingual (unless talking fair dinkum, true blue Strine counts).

Protection of one's own, whether territorial or familial, seems to be built in to our psyche. Look into the non-sentient world (I detest the term, but many don't) and you will find the same - from the largest mammals to the wee insects that we swat with gay abandon. Even microscopic entities will knock the seven bells, or try to, out of their enemies should the occasion arise (which is often every time they meet them).

We, as human beings, like to think we are above all that sort of nonsense. History though shows that we are not. Perhaps we might evolve to a state where altruism becomes the driving force but, regardless of the idealists who try to bring such about, I think it will be a long, long time before it happens. If ever.

Who, in any age or society, is going to willingly allow some other person or society to ride roughshod over their own and thus have imposed upon them unwanted values? Moreover, if such a change occurs within a defeated society and the unwanted becomes a requirement demanded by the victor then there's going to be trouble down't mill.

Prufrock, I admire your view on life - I really do - but regrettably societies (with or without geographical borders) don't work like that. The "All for One and One for All" just doesn't happen on the grander scale and often not on a small scale (have you ever been a member of a common interest group and looked at what happens within that tiny, tiny world?).

If it is of any consolation altruism within a group can and sometimes does prevail whilst inter-group relationships tend to be dominated by those who operate on a simple "what's in it for me/us" basis.

Funny old world isn't it?
fully accepted Dujon, i just wished the people with a chance of getting in power would stop fighting pointless PR battles and have some sodding policies for once. but unfortunately getting and keeping power is the name of the game, and i cant see that changing anytime soon
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.