Teenager faces prosecution for calling Scientology 'cult'

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri May 23, 2008 8:40 pm

Prufrock wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
sluffy wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:A debate on religion and second -in -command atheist Lennon hasn't appeared? Amazing, has he been converted? :wink:
As you are fully aware Lennon was banned for life for his disagreements with you.

I would have thought that such an advocate of Christianity that you would have asked for him to be forgiven of his 'sins' rather to make a cheap joke at his 'suffering'?
Not being a mod at the time, no, I'm sure I wasn't aware of that- although I do admit my memory isn't quite what it was- and I actually exchanged pm's with him without malice. I would have no problem whatsoever in him being re-instated. If I do remember it wasn't so much my views, but the attacks they came under for defending them, that led to religion becoming a banned topic. Might have actually been useful if you yourself had pm'd me at the time with your views rather than waiting this long.

Ah well, there goes another religious-linked thread that couldn't be conducted without malice I suppose . You see it's always the non-believers that do all the attacking of beliefs, the believers don't really care what others do or even try to convince them they're wrong. People believe or not as they wish. As it should be. I stated I wouldn't get involved on that topic, and I haven't.......and still the nastiness creeps in.
have i missed something? i havent noticed anything on this thread malicious? disagreements yes, but nothing malicious or out of order, non? i was quite enjoying the debate or is that only me :mrgreen: ?
Don't worry about it. Feel free to debate on!
Businesswoman of the year.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 23, 2008 8:43 pm

well until the last few posts. hadnt read those properly. i really hope people can discuss religion like anything else, something than can be critisised and defended, but within reason and at the end of the day with everyones right to their own beliefs upheld. i think an important part of life is to challenge every view you hold, on every matter, all the time. if a debate helps you to do this then i dont think it should be shrunk from as long as it doesnt degenerate into personal criticism. howevet i suspect there is a history here i wasnt aware of and if anything i or anyone has said on this thread has inflammed that then i hope it gets sorted
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 23, 2008 8:44 pm

Nothing whatsoever wrong with the discussion Prufrock, twas very civilised and enjoyable. It can continue that way for me. The rest is past history and best left alone.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 23, 2008 8:53 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Nothing whatsoever wrong with the discussion Prufrock, twas very civilised and enjoyable. It can continue that way for me. The rest is past history and best left alone.
good good. anyway i think this thread went off topic a little. what are people's views on scientology? not so much the faith itself which obviously people are entitled to, but more their practices.

http://whyaretheydead.net/

signs of something sinister, or scaremongering?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Fri May 23, 2008 8:55 pm

I'm sad to hear that Lennon was banned. I didn't always agree with him but still....
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 23, 2008 9:18 pm

Prufrock wrote: what are people's views on scientology? not so much the faith itself which obviously people are entitled to, but more their practices.
Makes disturbing reading that's for sure. Way I see any of these organisations is that young kids are joining, them because of adverse publicity by well-known personalities, without knowing what they're getting into. Can't agree with any organisation that prevents people leaving anytime they like. What they teach, and who cares to believe it, should be adult decisions at best and freedom of choice should be paramount. Several years ago there was much disagreement within Spanish Gypsy communities. I'm almost certain that Scientology ( Or was it the Church of Christian Science ?)was something to do with it. It divided families and caused a lot of severe stress. Whatever, it went totally against the long-held beliefs of a basically Catholic county.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Fri May 23, 2008 9:32 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
sluffy wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:A debate on religion and second -in -command atheist Lennon hasn't appeared? Amazing, has he been converted? :wink:
As you are fully aware Lennon was banned for life for his disagreements with you.

I would have thought that such an advocate of Christianity that you would have asked for him to be forgiven of his 'sins' rather to make a cheap joke at his 'suffering'?
Not being a mod at the time, no, I'm sure I wasn't aware of that- although I do admit my memory isn't quite what it was- and I actually exchanged pm's with him without malice. I would have no problem whatsoever in him being re-instated. If I do remember it wasn't so much my views, but the attacks they came under for defending them, that led to religion becoming a banned topic. Might have actually been useful if you yourself had pm'd me at the time with your views rather than waiting this long.

Ah well, there goes another religious-linked thread that couldn't be conducted without malice I suppose . You see it's always the non-believers that do all the attacking of beliefs, the believers don't really care what others do or even try to convince them they're wrong. People believe or not as they wish. As it should be. I stated I wouldn't get involved on that topic, and I haven't.......and still the nastiness creeps in.
I registered my view at the time on another forum on tw to which we both belonged and on which you participated in the discussion.

I felt that it was wrong that two posters - saying more or less the same thing - were treated differently - one was banned for life (Lennon) whilst the other was not.

I argued (once again) for people to be treated equally on tw - and (once again) I was ignored.

As for bringing malice and nastiness into the debate?

:conf:
Prufrock wrote:have i missed something? i havent noticed anything on this thread malicious? disagreements yes, but nothing malicious or out of order, non? i was quite enjoying the debate or is that only me :mrgreen: ?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 23, 2008 9:37 pm

sluffy wrote: [I registered my view at the time on another forum on tw to which we both belonged and on which you participated in the discussion.

I felt that it was wrong that two posters - saying more or less the same thing - were treated differently - one was banned for life (Lennon) whilst the other was not.

I argued (once again) for people to be treated equally on tw - and (once again) I was ignored.

As for bringing malice into the debate?
Well, in the interests of site practise, how about letting it drop? It's past history and nobody's at war here........yet :|

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Fri May 23, 2008 9:37 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
sluffy wrote:

:roll:
If only poeple were banned for not knowing when to shut the fook up and let sleeping dogs lie, eh sluffy?
If you are going to ban me for speaking honestly then go ahead and do it - if you're not then don't threaten it.

Eh Crazy

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 23, 2008 9:40 pm

Ah, yes. Scientology...Now then, where were we up to? :evil:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri May 23, 2008 9:57 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote: so someone who studies the Shroud of Turin.
I seem to recall them running some carbon date tests on it about ten years ago and they all dated it back only as far as about the 14th Century. Summat like that anyway. :?
A little more controversy since then: Tests are currently underway on the Shroud because of some error in the dating process which may put a different spin on things. All I know, fromt he latest programme I saw, is that another small scrap has been allowed for tests. The results, as far as I know, haven't been published as yet. The finest brains and technology in the world, however, despite many years of research, still can't explain how the image got on the Shroud.
To return to the scientific side, - Yes, earlier carbon dating (in Oxford) I think is being checked with more up to date equipment. However, the chap in charge said he seriously doubt the earlier tests would be out by as much as a thousand years.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri May 23, 2008 10:05 pm

sluffy wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
sluffy wrote:

If only poeple were banned for not knowing when to shut the fook up and let sleeping dogs lie, eh sluffy?
If you are going to ban me for speaking honestly then go ahead and do it - if you're not then don't threaten it.

Eh Crazy

It's not a threat. Your move.
Businesswoman of the year.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Fri May 23, 2008 10:26 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
sluffy wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
sluffy wrote:

Eh Crazy

It's not a threat. Your move.
I'm not the one playing a game. I stated a fact. It was you who referred to the past events.

Either ban me or leave me be - your choice.

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Fri May 23, 2008 10:27 pm

It has to be said that the 'moderation' on this site is a bit, let's just say, haphazard. More times than I care to remember quotes and threads just disappear. No explanation, no rationale, no openess.

Seems like a personal agenda is operating sometimes. IMO
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 23, 2008 10:33 pm

There's obviously a huge conspiracy going on, driven to a hidden agenda by the mods who are full of vested interests and give their time for gratis.... :roll:

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Fri May 23, 2008 10:37 pm

Worthy4England wrote:There's obviously a huge conspiracy going on, driven to a hidden agenda by the mods who are full of vested interests and give their time for gratis.... :roll:
That's just bollocks as you know. However, I stand by my last post.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 23, 2008 10:55 pm

I need to nail this right now. There is no, repeat, no, personal agenda anywhere. What there is is something that should have died ages ago because it was dealt with and didn't need resurrecting (an unintentional wording but, I'll leave it anyway).
Sluffy (an ex-mod) , who should know better, brought up a past and very unfortunate incident. It's past and done with and I urge him to leave it alone and let the thread continue. There's a reason, based on site rules, for everything mods and admin do, and no secret handshake stuff. Mods are normal people who sometimes err ( as I did in accidentally deleting one of Sluffy's posts not long ago. Something he made a mountain of, despite my appology) I hope this is enough of enough and Sluffy will respect this request for common sense in the interests of the site. .

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 24, 2008 7:05 am

:mrgreen:

Sorry, I'm really not helping here but I've been dying to use that picture for yonks. As you were.
May the bridges I burn light your way

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat May 24, 2008 9:21 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Prufrock wrote: what are people's views on scientology? not so much the faith itself which obviously people are entitled to, but more their practices.
Makes disturbing reading that's for sure. Way I see any of these organisations is that young kids are joining, them because of adverse publicity by well-known personalities, without knowing what they're getting into. Can't agree with any organisation that prevents people leaving anytime they like. What they teach, and who cares to believe it, should be adult decisions at best and freedom of choice should be paramount. Several years ago there was much disagreement within Spanish Gypsy communities. I'm almost certain that Scientology ( Or was it the Church of Christian Science ?)was something to do with it. It divided families and caused a lot of severe stress. Whatever, it went totally against the long-held beliefs of a basically Catholic county.
maybe it's just me being the "anti-god" but there seems just a wee hint of irony and contradiction in this (incorrect use of 'adverse' aside)
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat May 24, 2008 3:12 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
maybe it's just me being the "anti-god" but there seems just a wee hint of irony and contradiction in this (incorrect use of 'adverse' aside)
The publicity is "adverse" in as much as kids are taking notice of it because of film and TV personalities being involved. I think you well know what I meant. The topic is the dangers of Scientology, and like organisitions, where people are prevented from leaving, nothing else. Let's stick with it hey?