The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:59 am

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:Watching this on BBC, but someone mentioned CNN's coverage. After one minute, I had to switch over. There's an information overload all over the screen. It's how I'd imagine being a pilot. And they have people reporting as holograms, for God's sake. Not live link-ups. They pop in the hologrammed form of the reporter into the studio. Dear God.
Help us Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope.... :mrgreen:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:06 am

Well, I genuinely hope Obama turns out to be the man the world thinks he is.

He's certainly got the job at a difficult time.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:11 am

Some not-right on the radio this morning was dismissing Chairman Obama as "pseudo Marxist". I don't think there are enough of these :lmfao: in the world to describe that statement. He's the best of a bad bunch, but the rejoicing in America (and the world) shows how desperate the majority have become for change. Its a hell of a burden.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:14 am

Who is this Obama chap?

What's he won - is he a racing driver?

Has something happened?
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:19 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Well, I genuinely hope Obama turns out to be the man the world thinks he is.

I suspect that's the same with most changes of Government. People will often retain the status quo if they're not really felling the pinch.

I'm still not convinced that most electorates vote for "Party A/Candidate A" because they think their policies are X or Y, rather than because they think they could be no worse than "whatever the current mess is perceived to be".

As for what the world thinks he is, I'm not sure that's relevant. They know he's not the current incumbent, who will probably be noted in history (rightly or wrongly) for entering a war that couldn't be won and presiding over the largest financial crisis since the Wall Street Crash.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:24 am

Puskas wrote:Who is this Obama chap?

Has something happened?

no - don't be daft - he's a golfer... keep up

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:51 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Well, I genuinely hope Obama turns out to be the man the world thinks he is.

there was a good line on the bbc live text thingy, quoted from the Arizona Star - John McCain's home state paper.

"No new president has faced so much since Franklin Delano Roosevelt - and even he didn't have two wars on his plate."
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:21 am

Puskas wrote:Who is this Obama chap?

Has something happened?
As the intellegencia on Wanderers Ways have said:

"With all these black voters it's like Mandela a few years ago- America is going to the same way as South Africa" :lmfao:

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:29 am

Worthy4England wrote:

I suspect that's the same with most changes of Government. People will often retain the status quo if they're not really felling the pinch.

I'm still not convinced that most electorates vote for "Party A/Candidate A" because they think their policies are X or Y, rather than because they think they could be no worse than "whatever the current mess is perceived to be".

As for what the world thinks he is, I'm not sure that's relevant. They know he's not the current incumbent, who will probably be noted in history (rightly or wrongly) for entering a war that couldn't be won and presiding over the largest financial crisis since the Wall Street Crash.
It's not just the present incumbent's policies - but his ability to appear utterly and (given his position) depressingly stupid, which is difficult when you have got hundreds of people devoted to make you look as good as you can be.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:38 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
jmjhb wrote:Obama did it :)
This is a great day for the world!

The world has an intelligent and articulate leader, who ahead of his time, has achieved something that America was barely ready for.

Black Americans have the inspiration they so badly need.

It is the beginning of the end of mindless bigotry and racism, in the land where those regrettable human traits were first established on a large scale.

The world can now respect America.

I for one feel inspired today. The world is a better place today than yesterday.
Wish I had your psychic abilities.

All I see is some fella who talks a good game. Time will tell.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:53 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

The world has an intelligent and articulate leader, who ahead of his time, has achieved something that America was barely ready for.

It is the beginning of the end of mindless bigotry and racism, in the land where those regrettable human traits were first established on a large scale.

I for one feel inspired today. The world is a better place today than yesterday.

That statement right there puts him in the same bracket as Blair. I'm slightly confident that Obama isn't Blair Mark II, but I'm holding judgement at this moment in time. The wars and stuff won't happen, for that I'm sure, but I fear one or two empty, yet quite fundamental, promises.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:00 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

That alone is a step forward.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:04 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:I'd wager that they'r interviewing Gervais because thy're scared that people haven't heard of the other guests, and that he has a film out.

I was more taken by his answer to the question "who would David Brent vote for?". His answer was a very dismissive "Obama, because he would want the change." Not playing in the slightest. Treated the question with the contempt it deserved.
That said, it's Ricky Gervais. He's not really qualified to answer a complex sociopolitical question. He shouldn't really get the nark at people referring to his most famous creation. Is he having a laugh?, etc...

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:34 pm

Lest we forget. From the BBC.

Over the past eight years Bush has provided us with endless amusement as a result of his faux pas or ‘Bushisms' as they've been dubbed. Here are twenty of our favourites.

20. "Those who enter the country illegally violate the law." - Nov. 28, 2005

19. "We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans." - Sept. 6, 2000

18. "If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." - Dec. 19, 2000

17. "Well, I think if you say you're going to do something and don't do it, that's trustworthiness." - Aug. 30, 2000

16. "I think we agree, the past is over." - May 10, 2000

15. "I understand small business growth. I was one." - Feb. 19, 2000

14. "This foreign policy stuff is a little frustrating." - April 23, 2002

13. "I want everybody to hear loud and clear that I'm going to be the president of everybody." - Jan. 18, 2001

12. "One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures." - Jan. 3, 2000

11. "I was proud the other day when both Republicans and Democrats stood with me in the Rose Garden to announce their support for a clear statement of purpose: you disarm, or we will." - Oct. 5, 2002

10. "I just want you to know that when we talk about war, we're really talking about peace." - June 18, 2002

9. "I'm honored to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi citizen who had his hand cut off by Saddam Hussein." - May 25, 2004

8. "I firmly believe the death tax is good for people from all walks of life all throughout our society." - Aug. 13, 2002

7. "There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again." - Sept. 17, 2002

6. "The truth of that matter is, if you listen carefully, Saddam would still be in power if he were the president of the United States, and the world would be a lot better off." - Oct. 8, 2004

5. "I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." - Sept. 29, 2000

4. "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." - Aug. 5, 2004

3. "Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" - Jan. 11, 2000

2. "I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." - Jan. 27, 2000

1. "They misunderestimated me." - Nov. 6, 2000
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:54 pm

Well, that's the end of that rollercoaster ride. I wish Obama well, like all new leaders he has a blank page and shouldn't be judged until the story's written on it. He sounds very impressive and has charisma in spades, now he has to act on it.

Think the Republicans could be caught in the same trap as the Conservatives here were pre-Cameron - retreating into a far-right comfort zone until their own Obama comes along and wakes them up. The Reaganomics era is certainly over.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:59 pm

I did enjoy Cameron asking Brown today whether he had, in his little phone call this morning, told Obama that "this is no time for a novice". :lol:

As an aside, the general spectacle of British politicians of all stripes falling over themselves to hang onto Obama's coat tails is an unseemly one.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:59 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:Watching this on BBC, but someone mentioned CNN's coverage. After one minute, I had to switch over. There's an information overload all over the screen. It's how I'd imagine being a pilot. And they have people reporting as holograms, for God's sake. Not live link-ups. They pop in the hologrammed form of the reporter into the studio. Dear God.
Help us Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope.... :mrgreen:
Well, they had live link ups too. A blond from Chicago was the first hologram - said she felt like Princess Leah - I thought it was kind of cool to see it for the first time on live tv.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:02 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:I did enjoy Cameron asking Brown today whether he had, in his little phone call this morning, told Obama that "this is no time for a novice". :lol:

As an aside, the general spectacle of British politicians of all stripes falling over themselves to hang onto Obama's coat tails is an unseemly one.
Can't be any worse than Blair's sycophancy. :?

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:36 pm

We overstate our influence on the US far too much. I doubt Obama will get to hear Brown's warm welcome until sometime tomorrow and won't hear any of the others ("Get me Nick Clegg on the phone, that guy's endorsement means so much to me!").

Cameron's quip was good but Brown's jibe about the Tories only offering change in terms of them changing their minds every day was a good 'un.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:20 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:It is the beginning of the end of mindless bigotry and racism, in the land where those regrettable human traits were first established on a large scale.
What the fcuk? Have you ever heard of the Crusades?

On another note, thank God. But when McCain was running such an amateurish campaign it was always in the cards.