Bubbles....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Bubbles....

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:34 pm

According to the BBC website...

Drinkers and festive revellers on the streets of Bolton are being given bubble-blowers to stop them causing trouble as they make their way home.
The light-hearted scheme has a serious message for drinkers who are being urged not to get involved in violence or make too much noise.
Blue and orange pens will be handed out and double as bubble-blowers.
Councillor Elaine Sherrington said the aim of Operation Sherry was to keep people as "as safe as possible".

The pens will be handed out by police community support officers and town centre ambassadors.
The Be Safe Partnership, which includes police, the fire service and council, is running Operation Sherry for the third year.
Ms Sherrington, from Bolton Council, said: "The run-up to the festive period should be full of fun, not problems with drunkenness or rowdy behaviour.
"The bubble pens are a great idea to keep things light-hearted and town centre revellers will have something fun to focus on as they leave pubs and clubs.
"The act of blowing bubbles is normally associated with parties and entertainment, and the Be Safe partnership wants everyone to party safely."
Police in Manchester and Blackpool have previously used lollipops to cut down on anti-social behaviour among drinkers.
Operation Sherry runs until the end of the month.
Businesswoman of the year.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:47 pm

" Outside now, and bring your bubble-pen."

Who the fxxk dreams these thing up. On a par with flip flops in Torbay.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:12 pm

They'll be using the blue and orange pens to stab one another! :D
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:24 pm

Bast££d - Did you just hit me in the eye with a soapy bubble?? - that f$cking stung - I'm going to 'ave you....

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:56 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Bast££d - Did you just hit me in the eye with a soapy bubble?? - that f$cking stung - I'm going to 'ave you....
:mrgreen:

Was thinking exactly the same thing myself!
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:10 pm

Machine gun posts on street corners maned by Marines or Paras may be a better option!

Or

Shut down all the bars with previous history of churning out trouble makers!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:14 pm

hoboh2o wrote:Machine gun posts on street corners maned by Marines or Paras may be a better option!

Or

Wouldn't be any drinking establishments in Bolton or anywhere else then!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
hoboh2o wrote:Machine gun posts on street corners maned by Marines or Paras may be a better option!

Or

Wouldn't be any drinking establishments in Bolton or anywhere else then!
I know :wink:

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:29 pm

It's when people start singing that bloody West Ham song that it'll all kick off.

jenkz
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jenkz » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:21 pm

In new york new york in town they give you some well buttered and nicely toasted bread (ie toast :P) as you exit. Good idea, not so sure about the bubbles.
Nat Lofthouse:

“in my day, there were plenty of fellas who would kick your b****cks off. The difference was that at the end of the match they would shake your hand and help you look for them!”

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:30 pm

It'll end up in the fountains! :mrgreen:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:52 pm

Good idea Enfield!

And now we can all blame you when it does :twisted:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:48 pm

jenkz wrote:In new york new york in town they give you some well buttered and nicely toasted bread (ie toast :P) as you exit. Good idea, not so sure about the bubbles.
Oooh. Do you have to have bought a drink previously to get in on this free toast thing?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

SuperWhiteWarrior
Promising
Promising

Post by SuperWhiteWarrior » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:21 pm

I think its a stupid idea.
Where The One And Only Wanderers

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:11 am

why not give it a go? who's ever seen an angry person blowing bubbles?

Oh no let's just dismiss it off hand eh? Yes, we can believe in a supernatural entity ruling the universe or that a computer game is a good way of identifying new signings or deny that global warming exists but giving out bubbles is ridiculous? :roll:

if people had all adopted such closed minds we'd still be in caves dragging clubs and hiding from sabre toothed tigers. What harm is it going to do to try, eh? seriously?
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:37 am

communistworkethic wrote:why not give it a go? who's ever seen an angry person blowing bubbles?

Oh no let's just dismiss it off hand eh? Yes, we can believe in a supernatural entity ruling the universe or that a computer game is a good way of identifying new signings or deny that global warming exists but giving out bubbles is ridiculous? :roll:

if people had all adopted such closed minds we'd still be in caves dragging clubs and hiding from sabre toothed tigers. What harm is it going to do to try, eh? seriously?
Right!!!

Nowt wrong with thinking - or at least - poking a toe outside the box, is there?

I'm in favour of bubbles. Lots of em. Thousands better than hundreds. Hundreds of thousands better still. I think they genuinely cheer people up - and not just kids. I think they might divert a few people from sourer pursuits on Bradshawgate if they leave the pub to find themselves encased in bubbles, and that would be worthwhile.

If the arseholes want to stab anyway, what has been lost? The bubbles will hardly have contributed to their misanthropic rage. And the unstabbed ones, unthreatened ones, joyful, having-a-good-time-on-friday-night ones, will have an even more giggly ending to their nights. A lot of gain, a chance of less pain. Bubbles better than the cynicism on this thread, if you ask me.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:34 am

communistworkethic wrote:why not give it a go? who's ever seen an angry person blowing bubbles?

Michael Jackson was a bit narked when he was caught (allegedly) :mrgreen:

Personally I think Bubbles could be a laugh. Maybe they could set the mood by having bubble machines down Deansgate and Bradshawgate.

However, I hope Bolton Council have considered the hazards of having copious amounts of washing up liquid spilled on the streets and pavements of the town centre on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening, let alone the environmental impact on the surface water drainage system!
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:52 am

enfieldwhite wrote:

Michael Jackson was a bit narked when he was caught (allegedly) :mrgreen:

Personally I think Bubbles could be a laugh. Maybe they could set the mood by having bubble machines down Deansgate and Bradshawgate.

However, I hope Bolton Council have considered the hazards of having copious amounts of washing up liquid spilled on the streets and pavements of the town centre on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening, let alone the environmental impact on the surface water drainage system!
There's worse than Michael Jackson, CWE wouldn't want to be very near my 6 year old after popping one of said bubbles...

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:31 pm

I wouldn't want to be near anyone's 6 year old at any time!
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Bubbles....

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:35 pm

Blue and orange pens will be handed out and double as bubble-blowers.
I should imagine that if this scheme proves successful and becomes appropriated by the police forces of other towns and cities renowned for drunken imbecility, then Strathclyde Police might care to review the colours that are currently on offer. :?
May the bridges I burn light your way