Teacher Rips Skin Off Boy's Cheek

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:52 am

There's no zombies in it y'know.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:45 am

CrazyHorse wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:Did anyone go to Farny Grammar in the 80s - and if so ever fail to do their English homework for Mr Stephens?

The guy in the article sounds tame by comparison.
Didn't go to Farnworth Grammar but Mr Stephens moved to Little Lever School when they closed the Grammar down and I had the pleasure there. The guy was stuck in the fecking 1880s with his hard core teaching methods.
Yep, the guy used to get into such a rage that it was a case of tidying up and repairing / replacing damaged furniture and nursing the bruises when it had all subsided. He would be in jail within a week in today's world.

You did learn English though.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:11 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:Did anyone go to Farny Grammar in the 80s - and if so ever fail to do their English homework for Mr Stephens?

Didn't go to Farnworth Grammar but Mr Stephens moved to Little Lever School when they closed the Grammar down and I had the pleasure there. The guy was stuck in the fecking 1880s with his hard core teaching methods.
Yep, the guy used to get into such a rage that it was a case of tidying up and repairing / replacing damaged furniture and nursing the bruises when it had all subsided. He would be in jail within a week in today's world.

You did learn English though.
Aye, and manners and respect and a lot more. Never knew anyone who suffered much in the long term from exposure to Mr Willow or his mate, Mr Bamboo. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:15 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:

Jail? Don't you mean gaol?

Back to Mr Stephens for more English lessons...
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:26 pm

Puskas wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:

Isn't gaol the older English form of jail, and thus either would be correct in the context above?

Mr Stephens advises look up the word pedantic... :mrgreen:

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:34 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Puskas wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:

Isn't gaol the older English form of jail, and thus either would be correct in the context above?

I think "jail" is american. This is because it's designed for people who can't spell....

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:35 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Puskas wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:

:D
Funnily enough I remember old boy Stephens making an example of one of the lads in our class for using jail instead of gaol in one of the essays he'd written. I think the poor chap still walks with a limp to this day. :wink:

We were about twelve at the time and none of us had ever seen it spelt other than with a J. The irony of the fact that it was his job (you know, as our English teacher and everything) to teach us as kids the correct spelling was completely lost on him.
Businesswoman of the year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:59 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Puskas wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote: Didn't go to Farnworth Grammar but Mr Stephens moved to Little Lever School when they closed the Grammar down and I had the pleasure there. The guy was stuck in the fecking 1880s with his hard core teaching methods.

:D
Funnily enough I remember old boy Stephens making an example of one of the lads in our class for using jail instead of gaol in one of the essays he'd written. I think the poor chap still walks with a limp to this day. :wink:

We were about twelve at the time and none of us had ever seen it spelt other than with a J. The irony of the fact that it was his job (you know, as our English teacher and everything) to teach us as kids the correct spelling was completely lost on him.
What did he do? Kneecap him?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:14 pm

Must be a thing with English teachers. Ours (at Bolton Tech) was an ex Royal Marine type about six-feet four tall and a yard wide. Great teaching method I'll always remember.: He walked in first day, put his hands on the desk, leaned forward and in a reasonably quiet voice said: "My name is Mr Livesey, I'm here to teach English. You, are here to learn English. Anyone who feels they are here for any other purpose may leave the room.....NOW!

No one left and we all learned English. :wink:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:24 pm

The best teachers don't need to shout or throw their weight around to gain the respect of their students.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:29 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Removing parental and teacher control has been a disaster. This example is lunacy when a teacher injuries a child to this extent, but rather an example of an unbalanced individual than a standard of teaching. Kids fear no punishment and can get adults jailed at the drop of a hat by any accusation, even an untrue one. Little wonder it's the adults who walk in fear of kids these days. I would not make a teacher and have great admiration for those who follow the profession.
Daily Mail generalisation alert!!!!!!

parental control has NOT been removed.. (what do you mean by that?)

how many adults do you imagine have been "jailed at the drop of a hat by any accusation, even an untrue one"? pretty much NONE.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:35 pm

Puskas wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Puskas wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote: Didn't go to Farnworth Grammar but Mr Stephens moved to Little Lever School when they closed the Grammar down and I had the pleasure there. The guy was stuck in the fecking 1880s with his hard core teaching methods.

I think "jail" is american. This is because it's designed for people who can't spell....
Not really, Puskas. See Milton, Samson Agonistes, 949 "This jail I count the house of liberty" ( 1674) or the Scottish poet Wiilliam 1623 Drummond of Hawthornden Cypress Grove Works 123 "When the jail-gates were broken up". (1623).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:42 pm

I'm not the literary historian that Monty is - but I can spell Wikipaedia (I refuse to spell that wrong!)

and it confidently states:
Tim Moore in his book on Monopoly "Do Not Pass Go" suggests that, in Britain, the change from "gaol" to "jail" was precipitated by the popularity and spread of Monopoly in the 1930s and '40s. The non-London specific squares and cards had been copied wholesale from the original Atlantic City version where the spelling "jail" was commonplace. It is also for this reason that the policeman on the "Go to Jail" square features a clearly American uniform in contrast to the traditional style British police helmet.
which might be bollox - but is an interesting theory!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:53 pm

thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Removing parental and teacher control has been a disaster. This example is lunacy when a teacher injuries a child to this extent, but rather an example of an unbalanced individual than a standard of teaching. Kids fear no punishment and can get adults jailed at the drop of a hat by any accusation, even an untrue one. Little wonder it's the adults who walk in fear of kids these days. I would not make a teacher and have great admiration for those who follow the profession.
Daily Mail generalisation alert!!!!!!

parental control has NOT been removed.. (what do you mean by that?)

how many adults do you imagine have been "jailed at the drop of a hat by any accusation, even an untrue one"? pretty much NONE.
Gee, I was under the impression that all those clips around the ear I got for wrongdoing were parental control. Is it still okay to do that? I mean, I wasn't beaten to death, just discouraged from a recurrance. Same with teachers and the cane. I never needed to smack my own kids, but some of the behaviour I see makes me mad enough to clip a few earholes. Now it isn't even an option.

LONDON - A British father was locked in a police cell overnight after being caught smacking his seven-year-old son on the bottom.

Mark Frearson said he had been angry with his son Harry after he walked off alone after dark while they were out shopping.

When he found Harry in a park about 10 minutes later, he smacked him.

But a worried witness called police, who arrested Frearson at his home about three hours later and held him in a police station cell overnight.

"I called him to me and smacked his bottom for leaving me, telling him never to do it again," Frearson told The Daily Telegraph newspaper.

"I was horrified and bewildered at the course of action being taken (by police) on some stranger's action.

"I can understand the concerns of the police but they seemed far too ready to presume me guilty and then cause distress to my son by taking him from me."

Frearson, who is from Plymouth in southern England, has demanded an apology from police.

Devon and Cornwall Police said in a statement they believed "an arrest was proportionate" in Frearson's case.

Parents in England and Wales who smack their children hard enough to leave a mark can be jailed for up to five years.

AAP

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:03 pm

Puskas wrote:
ratbert wrote:You could argue that children move quicker and are more unpredictable, and therefore more difficult to control. My year at Withins had a nutter who always forgot his gym kit and would angrily launch himself at the games teacher, who always held him off but not without a struggle. Said teacher (Mr Rollinson - any fellow ex-Withins here remember him?) was always careful not to hit back, however.

I'm not sure what you could do shy of physical action. Pupils can always make claims against teachers that can't be substantiated as well (given that classmates rarely 'grass' on their peers).
Indeed.

The whole idea of not hitting children is another example of political correctness gone mad.

Children are little sh*ts. All of them. Unless you have the option to physically chastise them, they'll run riot.
I wasn't actually condoning physical punishment is school. Personally I'm actually against it.

I was saying that when faced with unruly pupils, where do you draw the line before hitting them? All down to the judgment of the teacher I suppose as to how loud they shout or how many detentions they issue.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:08 pm

smacking is not illegal - no...

hitting round the head or using an implement (belt, hammer, stick etc.) is. Leaving bruising will be investigated if discovered.

have you come up with anyone jailed (or gaoled) yet (at the drop of a hat by any accusation, even an untrue one)?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:11 pm

thebish wrote:I'm not the literary historian that Monty is - but I can spell Wikipaedia (I refuse to spell that wrong!)

and it confidently states:
Tim Moore in his book on Monopoly "Do Not Pass Go" suggests that, in Britain, the change from "gaol" to "jail" was precipitated by the popularity and spread of Monopoly in the 1930s and '40s. The non-London specific squares and cards had been copied wholesale from the original Atlantic City version where the spelling "jail" was commonplace. It is also for this reason that the policeman on the "Go to Jail" square features a clearly American uniform in contrast to the traditional style British police helmet.
which might be bollox - but is an interesting theory!
Milton played Monopoly??? :shock: :wink:

The 11th edition of the Encyclopedia [sic] Britannica (1911) tells us:
GAOL, or Jail, a prison. The two forms of the word are due to the parallel dual forms in Old Central and Norman French respectively, jaiole or jaole, and gaiole or gayolle. The common origin is the med. Lat. gabiola, a diminutive formed from cavea, a hollow, a den, from which the English "cave" is derived. The form "gaol" still commonly survives in English, and is in official usage, e.g. " gaol-delivery," but the common pronunciation of both words, "jail," shows the real surviving word.
I would suggest that either is acceptable tbh so disagreed with the Puskas correction, bish.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:29 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Milton played Monopoly??? :shock: :wink:
yes he did - every thursday evening at the Dog & Duck (I did propose that theory as a bit of fun - hence the "bollox" comment)
Montreal Wanderer wrote:The 11th edition of the Encyclopedia [sic] Britannica (1911) tells us:

yes - the lengthy Normon conquest theory is tyhe most commonly held - as many sites describe - but it is not as entertaining as the Monopoly theory...

I refuse to believe that any bona-fide copy of the Encylopaedia Britannica is spelt without the ligature... whatever next? Archeologist??? fetus?? (oh!)

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:36 pm

thebish wrote:
I refuse to believe that any bona-fide copy of the Encylopaedia Britannica is spelt without the ligature.
.. whatever next? Archeologist??? fetus?? (oh!)
It's probably an American copy.

Which explains why it thinks "jail" is acceptable...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:41 pm

thebish wrote:smacking is not illegal - no...

hitting round the head or using an implement (belt, hammer, stick etc.) is. Leaving bruising will be investigated if discovered.

have you come up with anyone jailed (or gaoled) yet (at the drop of a hat by any accusation, even an untrue one)?
Parents in England and Wales who smack their children hard enough to leave a mark can be jailed for up to five years.

No, and I'm not claiming knowlege of personal cases (Try reading Esther Rantzen on encouraging kids to report their parents for smacking them. It's around somewhere. )