I Just don't get....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:People who smoke.

Why pay to slowly kill yourself?

Can perhaps understand people that began years and years ago, but those who started recently? Why?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:09 pm

Can perhaps understand people that began years and years ago, but those who started recently? Why?
Because it's cool. And the ladies love it. Also it is in fact good for you. It's a government conspiracy because they realise they can't afford to keep an aging population alive, and so have propogated the myth that smoking is in fact BAD, not GOOD for you, so people stop, and so die younger.

I don't get people who are massively anti-smoking. It's my body, my life, and I'll do whatever the feck I want with it ta. Everybody knows the risks, and that is how it should be, but from there it is the individual's decision.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:21 pm

Prufrock wrote:

Because it's cool. And the ladies love it. Also it is in fact good for you. It's a government conspiracy because they realise they can't afford to keep an aging population alive, and so have propogated the myth that smoking is in fact BAD, not GOOD for you, so people stop, and so die younger.

I don't get people who are massively anti-smoking. It's my body, my life, and I'll do whatever the feck I want with it ta. Everybody knows the risks, and that is how it should be, but from there it is the individual's decision.
I'm assuming your first paragraph is tongue in cheek.

As for your choice, yes it is as long as it doesn't come anywhere near me, but ultimately I don't get why people do it. It makes you smell, makes your house smell, stains your teeth, causes countless health risks and almost certainly will be one of the reasons you die earlier than you would be expected to.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

I'm assuming your first paragraph is tongue in cheek.

As for your choice, yes it is as long as it doesn't come anywhere near me, but ultimately I don't get why people do it. It makes you smell, makes your house smell, stains your teeth, causes countless health risks and almost certainly will be one of the reasons you die earlier than you would be expected to.
But I'll have enjoyed my fewer years much more :wink:

Back to main thread, I don't get:

Grammar Bullies

Readers of the Mail/Express type who seem to enjoy being miserable.

Nationalists

Euro sceptics

Real Ale

Why the Sun decides to put a little box with the page 3 girl's opinions in next to her

People who judge people immediately on petty quirks of etiquette. 'oh look he was drinking a beer on the street, he is bad' 'oh he used his fork like a shovel, he is bad'

Snobbery

How anyone can not think where they were born was a quirk of fate and thus how they think everything their biologically random parents in this bit of land we arbitrarily call a country, means they are owed something.

People paying 200 pounds for a pair of jeans.

Signs on lifts saying 'save the planet, take the stairs', as if recylcing and such like actualy does anything but assuage their middle class guilt, whilst they still vote into power a government that allows big industry to feck everything up unchecked.

The religious nutters who stand on street corners with microphones. Has anybody EVER been converted by one of them?!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:31 pm

Just don't run gasping to the NHS with your emphesema.

I've given up again, btw, 3 months and 5 days. Lasted 4 1/2 years last time, lets hope its for good this time.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:35 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Just don't run gasping to the NHS with your emphesema.

I've given up again, btw, 3 months and 5 days. Lasted 4 1/2 years last time, lets hope its for good this time.
Good luck with that by the way

As for running to the NHS, why not? Without even getting to the heavy taxes debate, fat people get treated, people who injure themselves being idiots get treated. Mr taxman foots the bill for all that. The day you start putting a moral judgement on who gets healthcare is the day you set one foot on the top of a very slippery slope.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:37 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Real Ale
So you don't like your beer to taste of anything, then?

"Hmmm, barman - can you give me a pint of fizzy, chilled yellowish water with about 4% alcohol added and a very mild chemical aftertaste.
Oh, no, make sure it doesn't have any flavour to it - heaven forfend I should enjoy my pint..."
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:37 pm

I'm all for doing just as you like as long as you don't force it on anyone else . What I really hate are the constant TV ads accompanied by "Twinkle twinkle little star" background music, that say in soft childish voices:

"My baby might be born with two heads because of smokers"

"My baby might have one leg because she touched passive smoke on Uncle Billy's sideboard"

"My baby...bullshxt,bulshxt bulshxt etc etc etc.

Don't smoke, don't take your kids near it. Smokers aren't drug addicts, alchoholics or criminals. Smoking doesn't screw heads up or make people act irrationally. We're already treated like lepers. The whole non-smoking campaign is run by people wanting to sell something to make you/help you stop and most likely half of them smoke anyway. The government are still raking in billions on tobacco tax and now they're attacking drinkers. Give it a rest...please. We got the message. You win. But ffs leave it alone.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:38 pm

Tis an interesting one, but smokers cost the most to the institution. Tis a very slippery slope to just carry on as normal. If other drugs are so tightly controlled I've often wondered why cigarettes aren't. Then I generally wake up and remember that a few people make billions of dollars out of it, so would the health of tens of millions matter?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:44 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Tis an interesting one, but smokers cost the most to the institution. Tis a very slippery slope to just carry on as normal. If other drugs are so tightly controlled I've often wondered why cigarettes aren't. Then I generally wake up and remember that a few people make billions of dollars out of it, so would the health of tens of millions matter?
Indeed LK.

Alcohol and tobacco should more than likely both be banned when you consider the reasoning behind the prohibition of other drugs.

I think the thing with smoking has been in the past that it has done damage to non-smokers through passive smoking. This issue has certainly be addressed largely though having to walk down streets filled with smokers is at times unpleasant.

My point is not so much on the older generation but more those who started in the last 10 years. The health risks are undeniable and the costs are soaring. I just don't get why people start.

Well done btw on your attempts to quit. At least you have tried.

I can't abide people who whinge on and on about quitting and how hard it is, but never actually put the effort in.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:53 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Tis an interesting one, but smokers cost the most to the institution. Tis a very slippery slope to just carry on as normal. If other drugs are so tightly controlled I've often wondered why cigarettes aren't. Then I generally wake up and remember that a few people make billions of dollars out of it, so would the health of tens of millions matter?
But you can't start telling people they don't own their bodies anymore. People should certainly be aware of the risks, but after that it's an individual choice. Freedom is worth more than pennies on a balance sheet. Obese people cost the NHS massive amounts of money as well, but do I, someone not overweight, think they should be refused treatment because they didn't keep in shape? No. I thought taxes were to pay for this kinda sh*t, if not, what are they for? I agree with TD on those adverts too. People should have the information to make their choices, and then be left to actually make that choice. Not be faced with pictures of blackened lungs every single time they want to enjoy something they consider a small pleasure. Don't smoke around children, or ill people, or in resteraunts, and everywhere else have specific smoking areas where people who don't smoke don't have to go, end of problem.

They are doing it with alcohol as well, the government seem to think we are all idiots who cannot make an informed decision for ourselves, and if we don't share their opinion, then we must be forced to share it.

I feel like Richard Littlejohn here, but in this case it actually is Big Brother/ Nanny State/ Political Correctness gone mad*

*delete as aplicable

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
I can't abide people who whinge on and on about quitting and how hard it is, but never actually put the effort in.
Why? So they can comply with your personal idea of what should be? Streets filled with smoke...ffs. Live in a street of terraced house all with coal fires mate. Even then nobody particularly noticed the smoke till the government did their smokeless zone campaighn. This is purely a personal view of one faction of society wanting to impose their own desires on another. You don't want to smoke, then don't. That's fine. We don't even smoke in any indoor public places at all, never mind pubs.

Fresh air is free, at least right now. No doubt the government will find a way to tax it shortly. :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:58 pm

Puskas wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Real Ale
So you don't like your beer to taste of anything, then?

"Hmmm, barman - can you give me a pint of fizzy, chilled yellowish water with about 4% alcohol added and a very mild chemical aftertaste.
Oh, no, make sure it doesn't have any flavour to it - heaven forfend I should enjoy my pint..."
Don't get me wrong it's one of those things I really want to like, not least because it is normally cheaper, but I cant bear it, its horrid. As for taste, I'd rather have a Guiness anyday, a meal in a glass. Yet despite this I still drink the fizzy golden piss water. I like it alright!

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: Alcohol and tobacco should more than likely both be banned when you consider the reasoning behind the prohibition of other drugs.
Or perhaps, given the lack of success of the drugs policies, and the historic failure that was Prohibition is the USA, other drugs should perhaps be legalised?

Or is that a can of wyrms too far? Particularly in these new-labour, new-puritan times...
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:50 pm

Prufrock wrote:
But you can't start telling people they don't own their bodies anymore. People should certainly be aware of the risks, but after that it's an individual choice. Freedom is worth more than pennies on a balance sheet. Obese people cost the NHS massive amounts of money as well, but do I, someone not overweight, think they should be refused treatment because they didn't keep in shape? No. I thought taxes were to pay for this kinda sh*t, if not, what are they for? I agree with TD on those adverts too. People should have the information to make their choices, and then be left to actually make that choice. Not be faced with pictures of blackened lungs every single time they want to enjoy something they consider a small pleasure. Don't smoke around children, or ill people, or in resteraunts, and everywhere else have specific smoking areas where people who don't smoke don't have to go, end of problem.

They are doing it with alcohol as well, the government seem to think we are all idiots who cannot make an informed decision for ourselves, and if we don't share their opinion, then we must be forced to share it.

I feel like Richard Littlejohn here, but in this case it actually is Big Brother/ Nanny State/ Political Correctness gone mad*

*delete as aplicable
I sat in on one respiratory clinic and it was enough to make me never want to pick up a cigarette. The amount of people coming in unable to breathe with far gone COPD at a relatively young age with a history of heavy smoking wasn't pretty.

As for the 'smokers cost more' debate, do they? They pay loads and loads and loads of taxes all through their life so contribute more than most through that. Granted the smoking leads to health problems which cost money, but hey, everyone dies from something and will require treatment for it. Dying from a smoking related disease won't cost much more than dying from other 'unavoidable' problems. They also die earlier, meaning less government money has to be spent on them through pensions and benefits etc than a healthy chap who lives until 100 before he gradually slips downhill, spends 8 weeks in hospital and using up lots of NHS cash before popping his clogs. Smokers have the same right to be treated as anyone else, the fact they bring it on themselves just makes them a little silly, but no less deserving.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:43 pm

jimbo wrote: They also die earlier, meaning less government money has to be spent on them through pensions and benefits etc than a healthy chap who lives until 100 before he gradually slips downhill, spends 8 weeks in hospital and using up lots of NHS cash before popping his clogs. .
Dear, dear dear. Is that what we live our lives for, so we can conveniently save the government money to spend on the next generation? How many totally healthy 100 year olds do you know Jimbo? People of all ages die from all sorts of ailments without ever seeing sixty or their pensions. My dad smoked but died at fifty-two from a brain hemorrhage (sp?) and years of ill health from World War II service. People die early from obesity, liver poisoning from drink, lack of excercise and heathy eating, road accidents, drugs and crime. My mother smoked and died at 73 from a nervous breakdown. My best mate died in his chair at 63 after years of no-smoking. Jade Goody? (no slight or cruelty meant, just another example)

The government could save a lot of money if it didn't keep free-housing and lashing out chunks of benefits to families who have eight kids and the father never works because of his bad back etc,etc. The hospitals could save millions if they didn't have to keep treating the pissed-up friday night fight-clubs in every town. Not many smoking oldies involved there are there? Britain has a record number of teenage mothers with disappearing fathers or who are still at school. Today's generation are being brainwashed in bullshxt by the government to hide a multitude of sins in other areas by promoting the easy targets whilst still happily raking in the tax from the same. No, smoking will certainly not help an overweight, never excercised couch potatoes who just keeps cramming in the hamburgers and booze, of course it won't. It has no good properties except as a pleasurable hobby from those who do it. I'd discourage any kids from doing it.

I an not promoting smoking to anyone. From a cost factor alone it is now a burden, but if the people buying cigarettes use earned money from working, how is it worse than the same people who go out and get wrecked on booze weekly? In a lot of cases, an only pleasure to people who work long hours at menial jobs through no fault of their own. Today's youth are, thankfully brighter and better educated then ever before but, when it comes to live and let live, you still have a lot to learn. The "Im alright, fxxk you Jack" syndrome is alive and well again.

End of rant and I'm still smiling. :wink:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:14 pm

I don't think you quite got what Jimbo was saying Tango...You should be applauding him. I think it cannot be denied that smoking does shorten one's life - although the ones you lose are of course the worst :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:57 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I'm all for doing just as you like as long as you don't force it on anyone else . What I really hate are the constant TV ads accompanied by "Twinkle twinkle little star" background music, that say in soft childish voices:

"My baby might be born with two heads because of smokers"

"My baby might have one leg because she touched passive smoke on Uncle Billy's sideboard"

"My baby...bullshxt,bulshxt bulshxt etc etc etc.

Don't smoke, don't take your kids near it. Smokers aren't drug addicts, alchoholics or criminals. Smoking doesn't screw heads up or make people act irrationally. We're already treated like lepers. The whole non-smoking campaign is run by people wanting to sell something to make you/help you stop and most likely half of them smoke anyway. The government are still raking in billions on tobacco tax and now they're attacking drinkers. Give it a rest...please. We got the message. You win. But ffs leave it alone.
Smokers are drug addicts.

Nicotine is incredibly addictive.

I know - i gave up about 20 times before really giving up 6+ years ago... TFFT!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:17 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:I don't think you quite got what Jimbo was saying Tango...You should be applauding him. I think it cannot be denied that smoking does shorten one's life - although the ones you lose are of course the worst :wink:
Oh, I did Monty. I read his post, but felt duty bound to fly the flag. Got to keep up standards and all that. :wink:

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:I don't think you quite got what Jimbo was saying Tango...You should be applauding him. I think it cannot be denied that smoking does shorten one's life - although the ones you lose are of course the worst :wink:
Oh, I did Monty. I read his post, but felt duty bound to fly the flag. Got to keep up standards and all that. :wink:
Erm, I've got a feeling you didn't quite get me either............... The point I was making was whether smokers do in fact cost the country more than non-smokers, that's it! Never mind, though I am a little confused.

Edit

I'm actually pretty convinced you didn't get me. I was making a case for smokers with what I said and arguing against the common belief that smokers are evil because they use up all the goody-two-shoes tax payer's money and so should be made to pay excessive amounts of a heavily regressive tax on something that they enjoy. Most people will need extensive health care before they die be it for a smoking related disease or not. The argument that most people use is floored. That was my point! :wink: