Greenday 2009

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 17, 2009 2:02 pm

screech powers wrote:If American Idiot didnt already , this album should propel the band into the history books as pioneering legends of music.

This is just my umble opinion of course
Your opinion notwithstanding, Screech, you'll be fecking hard pressed to back that one up, fella.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Mon May 18, 2009 12:07 pm

They are ok for a Stiff Little Fingers/Peter and the Test Tube Babies tribute band :)

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Mon May 18, 2009 11:42 pm

screech powers wrote:If American Idiot didnt already , this album should propel the band into the history books as pioneering legends of music.

Instead of having a go, I suggest digging some early Ramones LPs (if you haven't already... Green Day are clearly massive fans) as well as some MC5 (do listen to their 'American Ruse' track if you want another political American punk track... let's just say it's the forefather of 'American Idiot'). If you like loud, brash pop, I suggest having a listen to 'I'm Stranded' by The Saints. Not really like Green Day per se, but worth you having a listen all the same.

Personally, I can't really stomach Green Day, but they don't irritate me enough to warrant a verbal battering (like you would've seen if you'd said you like Katie Melua or Snow Patrol or something).
Viva La Portable Radio!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 19, 2009 7:18 pm

mofgimmers wrote:

Instead of having a go, I suggest digging some early Ramones LPs (if you haven't already... Green Day are clearly massive fans) as well as some MC5 (do listen to their 'American Ruse' track if you want another political American punk track... let's just say it's the forefather of 'American Idiot'). If you like loud, brash pop, I suggest having a listen to 'I'm Stranded' by The Saints. Not really like Green Day per se, but worth you having a listen all the same.

Personally, I can't really stomach Green Day, but they don't irritate me enough to warrant a verbal battering (like you would've seen if you'd said you like Katie Melua or Snow Patrol or something).
Don't forget New York Dolls, or The Stooges. Also another band who clearly had massive influence on Greenday, were Black Flag.

As for Greenday, I think pioneering legends is a tad excessive, but they were and still are very important as a flagship of American 'alternative' (I HATE that word) music. Yet to hear the new album, but am hoping it is better than the last, which to be honest, wasn't very good.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 19, 2009 7:28 pm

mofgimmers wrote: Personally, I can't really stomach Green Day, but they don't irritate me enough to warrant a verbal battering (like you would've seen if you'd said you like Katie Melua or Snow Patrol or something).
I like Katy Melua. :oops:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Tue May 19, 2009 10:13 pm

Was on holiday when tickets went on sale so missed out unfortunately.

If anyone has two spare standing tickets they wish to sell to me I would be much obliged.

eddybwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Greenday 2009

Post by eddybwfc » Wed May 20, 2009 9:33 pm

Verbal wrote:
superjohnmcginlay wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
screech powers wrote:Got Greenday Tickets for Manchester this morning :D

New album out 15th May - 21st Century Breakdown. By all reports better than American Idiot and is a rock opera spilt into 3 parts.

Anyone else enjoy songs with themes ranging from masturbation through to anti war/bush??

(Que a series of posts declaring that Greenday are crap ect.)
Gee, we've come a long way since Blue-Suede Shoes and romance lyrics. :mrgreen:
Indeed we have and thank god.

Thank god for Dylan who realised that lyrics were the most important part of music.
What you say is as important as how you say it.

He was a poet and he didn't know it!
Nonesense. Some great songs have few if any lyrics.
I'd park myself firmly on the fence with this debate. solo singer/songwriters in general work best with a no nonsense, down to basics approach. By contrast, if you've got a band full of people with exceptional musical talent, then they can say more with sound than they ever could with words (he says, as he heads dangerously close to 'head up own arse' territory)
And me

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Wed May 20, 2009 9:40 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
mofgimmers wrote: Personally, I can't really stomach Green Day, but they don't irritate me enough to warrant a verbal battering (like you would've seen if you'd said you like Katie Melua or Snow Patrol or something).
Can't let this one go.

You like Katie Melu.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............

Sorry. Can't even get through the complete name without falling asleep through boredom.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 21, 2009 5:44 am

Prufrock wrote:
mofgimmers wrote:

Don't forget New York Dolls, or The Stooges. Also another band who clearly had massive influence on Greenday, were Black Flag.

As for Greenday, I think pioneering legends is a tad excessive, but they were and still are very important as a flagship of American 'alternative' (I HATE that word) music. Yet to hear the new album, but am hoping it is better than the last, which to be honest, wasn't very good.
I take this back, it was not a bad album, it was just a pop-y album, it wasn't what you expected after that wait, for a greenday album. They still stand up there, as Greenday, RHCP and Nirvana (most overrated band of the last 25 years) do, as being the flagship bands of modern american non shit music. I have the new album on order ready when i get home. Im getting more and more excited. Make that terribly excited.

Katie Melua is GORGEOUS, but rubbishly boringly terrible musically.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu May 21, 2009 9:46 am

Prufrock wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
mofgimmers wrote:

I take this back, it was not a bad album, it was just a pop-y album, it wasn't what you expected after that wait, for a greenday album. They still stand up there, as Greenday, RHCP and Nirvana (most overrated band of the last 25 years) do, as being the flagship bands of modern american non shit music. I have the new album on order ready when i get home. Im getting more and more excited. Make that terribly excited.

Fook off. They were quality. In Utero especially.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu May 21, 2009 12:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
When she's on the tele I just press Mute.. Cracking eye candy, but not a massive fan of her music I must say

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 21, 2009 6:04 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
mofgimmers wrote:

Fook off. They were quality. In Utero especially.
Never said they weren't good, just overrated. Like the Beatles.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu May 21, 2009 6:19 pm

Haven't heard the new album, but I am a big fan of theirs. Was truly impressed with the American Idiot album because it was a brave album to make here at the time. They are a little corporate and yet a little punk as well. They walk a tough line as they get older. I also suppose they can't help all the weedy emo fans with black t shirts liking them, but it can put me off sometimes.

As far as America go, Pearl Jam beat all other American rock bands. Foo Fighters of course are also excellent. Nirvana were fantastic as well, but completely over rated due to kurt;s suicide.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu May 21, 2009 9:33 pm

You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri May 22, 2009 9:30 am

americantrotter wrote:Haven't heard the new album, but I am a big fan of theirs. Was truly impressed with the American Idiot album because it was a brave album to make here at the time. They are a little corporate and yet a little punk as well. They walk a tough line as they get older. I also suppose they can't help all the weedy emo fans with black t shirts liking them, but it can put me off sometimes.

As far as America go, Pearl Jam beat all other American rock bands. Foo Fighters of course are also excellent. Nirvana were fantastic as well, but completely over rated due to kurt;s suicide.
Bollox. :wink:

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Fri May 22, 2009 9:54 am

In any normal circumstances I'd give a person who says "Green Day should be propelled to the level of pioneering legends of music" both barrels. But because someone else butted in with "Nirvana are the most overrated band of the past 25 years" it's deflected my attention.

People can think whatever ridiculous thoughts they want about Green Day, they're nothing.
But Nirvana? Overrated?
The BEATLES? Overrated?

I actually don't know where to begin because I haven't got the time to formulate a well structured argument.

As for PEARL JAM - YES! I've got tickets to finally see them this summer at the MEN. WOO HOO :D :D :D

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri May 22, 2009 9:57 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:In any normal circumstances I'd give a person who says "Green Day should be propelled to the level of pioneering legends of music" both barrels. But because someone else butted in with "Nirvana are the most overrated band of the past 25 years" it's deflected my attention.

People can think whatever ridiculous thoughts they want about Green Day, they're nothing.
But Nirvana? Overrated?
The BEATLES? Overrated?

I actually don't know where to begin because I haven't got the time to formulate a well structured argument.

As for PEARL JAM - YES! I've got tickets to finally see them this summer at the MEN. WOO HOO :D :D :D
Pearl Jam smearl jam. I goin MEN to see NIN and Janes Addiction and MEW (whoever the fook they are) this summer. Woo hoo etc.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Fri May 22, 2009 10:18 am

As much as I used to love NIN and Jane's Addiction, I'd rather watch Mew. Danish lovely pop-rock. Stunning. Saw them support Elbow (total borefest) at the Apollo and they were sensational.
I saw NIN at the Apollo a few years ago and Jane's Addiction at a Leeds Festival. Both great, I used to be well into NIN but it's waned somewhat in recent years. Plus this is the weirdest looking tour I've seen in a long time.

Mew are excellent though, And The Glass Handed Kites is a brilliant piece of prog-pop-rock!

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri May 22, 2009 10:24 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:As much as I used to love NIN and Jane's Addiction, I'd rather watch Mew. Danish lovely pop-rock. Stunning. Saw them support Elbow (total borefest) at the Apollo and they were sensational.
I saw NIN at the Apollo a few years ago and Jane's Addiction at a Leeds Festival. Both great, I used to be well into NIN but it's waned somewhat in recent years. Plus this is the weirdest looking tour I've seen in a long time.

Mew are excellent though, And The Glass Handed Kites is a brilliant piece of prog-pop-rock!
Interesting. Might actually turn up early enough to watch them then. The American leg of the tour has Tom Morrelo's new lot - Street Sweeper Social Club - wouldnt have minded seeing them but I'll give this Mew lot a listen.
NIN are supposedly calling it a day after this tour so its me last chance to see 'em.
Still need a decent FNM tour though....

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 22, 2009 2:52 pm

Are the Beatles unquestionably the greatest band of all time? NO! Are they held up as such by every fecking show, critic and bloke on the street as being some universal truth? YES! Ergo....overrated. Overrated doesn't mean shit, it means you don't buy the media shitstorm. Similarly, Jimi Hendrix, one of my absolute heroes, is overrated. I think he is the greatest guitarist of all time. There is no way he can factually be proven to be though, and you'll struggle to find any list which doesn't put him at number 1.
Nirvana, one of my favourite bands, but IMO, they were and are overrated.