Oasis

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:20 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:reverend & the makers, fookin shite.
Having seen your watch................. :wink:
:mrgreen:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

eddybwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by eddybwfc » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:55 pm

Im going tomorrow...

Hope its goood...

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:17 pm

Never got Oasis really. I've seen 'em live at various points in their career (circa Definitely Maybe, circa Shoulder of Giants and then Heathen Chemistry) and have to say they've consistently been one of the most underwhelming live acts I've ever seen.

Not in the same ballpark as Turin Breaks though. I'll never get that evening back.
Viva La Portable Radio!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:20 pm

mofgimmers wrote:Never got Oasis really. I've seen 'em live at various points in their career (circa Definitely Maybe, circa Shoulder of Giants and then Heathen Chemistry) and have to say they've consistently been one of the most underwhelming live acts I've ever seen.

Not in the same ballpark as Turin Breaks though. I'll never get that evening back.
I saw Turin Brakes when they were touring Ether Song at The Apollo, Gimmers. They were absolutely magnificent and, for me, are surely one of England's most underrated bands. I've also seen Oasis play live, albeit the incarnation that toured the third album and included a second guitarist that couldn't play anything other than bar chords, a drummer that kept having to be brought back into time by Noel Gallagher (seriously) and a Bassist that was incapable of playing anything more complicated than his own cock by the sounds of it.

Mind you, I'd imagine that Oasis are a significantly superior live proposition now.
May the bridges I burn light your way

eddybwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by eddybwfc » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaDLecs_nJU

kasabian live... didnt get any of oasis, i were on front row, so to busy bouncing

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I've also seen Oasis play live, albeit the incarnation that toured the third album and included a second guitarist that couldn't play anything other than bar chords, a drummer that kept having to be brought back into time by Noel Gallagher (seriously) and a Bassist that was incapable of playing anything more complicated than his own cock by the sounds of it.
Just a point, Bruce - some of that may not have been their own fault. Certainly in the early days, the non-Gallaghers were employed to keep it as meat-and-potatoes as possible, with bassist Guigsy sticking almost entirely to root notes while rhythm guitarist Bonehead played simple E-shape bar chords no matter what the progression - so for example on Acquiesce's chorus sequence of F-C-G he'd play that basic chord at the first, seventh and third fret respectively. That's not a reflection on his ability (he's not a bad guitarist and by all accounts quite a nice chap) but the early Oasis template: four-square rock, recordings compressed to f*ck, the better to blart out of radios. It wasn't complicated, and it wasn't unsuccessful.

It is, however, entirely possible that by the time you saw them touring Be Here Now, that accidental cautionary tale against o'ervaulting ambition and coke-fuelled superiority complex, the non-Gallaghers could have been replaced by the inept with the siblings quite possibly believing their imperial selves untouchable by anything so gauche as failure.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:47 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:reverend & the makers, fookin shite.
Having seen your watch................. :wink:
:mrgreen:
bastuds...

markakamark
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by markakamark » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:02 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:I've also seen Oasis play live, albeit the incarnation that toured the third album and included a second guitarist that couldn't play anything other than bar chords, a drummer that kept having to be brought back into time by Noel Gallagher (seriously) and a Bassist that was incapable of playing anything more complicated than his own cock by the sounds of it.
Just a point, Bruce - some of that may not have been their own fault. Certainly in the early days, the non-Gallaghers were employed to keep it as meat-and-potatoes as possible, with bassist Guigsy sticking almost entirely to root notes while rhythm guitarist Bonehead played simple E-shape bar chords no matter what the progression - so for example on Acquiesce's chorus sequence of F-C-G he'd play that basic chord at the first, seventh and third fret respectively. That's not a reflection on his ability (he's not a bad guitarist and by all accounts quite a nice chap) but the early Oasis template: four-square rock, recordings compressed to f*ck, the better to blart out of radios. It wasn't complicated, and it wasn't unsuccessful.

It is, however, entirely possible that by the time you saw them touring Be Here Now, that accidental cautionary tale against o'ervaulting ambition and coke-fuelled superiority complex, the non-Gallaghers could have been replaced by the inept with the siblings quite possibly believing their imperial selves untouchable by anything so gauche as failure.
Without being too much of a guitar geek, F-C-G would technically be 1st 8th and 3rd :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:44 pm

markakamark wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:

Without being too much of a guitar geek, F-C-G would technically be 1st 8th and 3rd :D
And it's easier to play the C at the 3rd fret :mrgreen:

I hear what you're saying DSB, but a drummer that can't keep time? Come on (this was their 2nd one by the way, not Tony McCarroll). I'm yet to be convinced that Paul Arthurs is actually capable of anything that Bert Weedon couldn't teach the novice within the day (though I'm sure he's a lovely bloke), and as for Guigsy - didn't Noel Gallagher end up having to write and play new basslines for all but one of the tracks on their fourth album?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:34 pm

Quite so, to both Marka and Bruce. Just saying, though.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:41 pm

Aren't just a Beatles tribute band?

I got the album with Wonderwall etc on it (forget name) and quickly got bored.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:42 pm

Apparently Noel has now criticised the 20,000 fans who claimed for their money back saying on his blog,

"So you were genuinely disappointed? There wasn't a 20,000 gap in the crowd."

Hmmmm, offer a refund and then wonder why people claim it? Not to mention, although the gig was awesome, it meant LOADS of people missed last trains. Cost me an extra £25 to get home than it should have. I don't often say this, but zip it Noel.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Lad who I play footy with had his coat nicked during the gig... with the ticket worth £48 in it - unexpected bonus for someone...
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Quite so, to both Marka and Bruce. Just saying, though.
Totally true though, I don't think I ever saw Bonehead play anything that wasn't an E-shaped Barre chord though, going up to the 8th for a C as opposed to playing it open, or at the 3rd is just strange, but it's what Noel wanted him to do and to be honest, it worked kinda well.

I can't stand Gem or Andy Bell though, I think I'd rather Bonehead and Guigsy any day...no matter how "basic" they played.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Prufrock wrote:Apparently Noel has now criticised the 20,000 fans who claimed for their money back saying on his blog,

Hmmmm, offer a refund and then wonder why people claim it? Not to mention, although the gig was awesome, it meant LOADS of people missed last trains. Cost me an extra £25 to get home than it should have. I don't often say this, but zip it Noel.
I loved the gig and it didn't affect me getting home because I drove. But, I'm a student and it's near the end of term and my loan is running out making the offer of £38.50 too good to ignore! He can afford it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:20 pm

FD wrote: I can't stand Gem or Andy Bell though, I think I'd rather Bonehead and Guigsy any day...no matter how "basic" they played.
He's the one out of Hurricane #1, isn't he? Bought their album on the back of Chain Reaction. It's the worst album that I've ever bought, and I've bought a few. The nice person! :(

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:57 pm

jimbo wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Apparently Noel has now criticised the 20,000 fans who claimed for their money back saying on his blog,

I loved the gig and it didn't affect me getting home because I drove. But, I'm a student and it's near the end of term and my loan is running out making the offer of £38.50 too good to ignore! He can afford it.
Sober gig? Eurgh you disgust me.

What was Noel expecting though? 70,000 people offered a free 40-ish quid in current climate and they'd all go nah, be reet, those Gallagher brothers' look like they need it anyway.

chester white
Promising
Promising

Post by chester white » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:28 pm

Prufrock wrote:Just got back from my mates now. I massively enjoyed it. First time I've seen them live, and they were what I grew up on.

Was impressed with Twisted Wheel, better than I expected from a band who on the face of it were a drummer, a pikey, and an Icelandic emo.

Managed to miss most of Reverand and the Makers, but whilst I don't mind them, I'm not a huge fan of their music, and wish John McClure would jack it and become a politician.

Kasabian were far better than I expected, good fun, and since they'd slipped of my radar, was good to have a sing along to the songs from their first album.

Then the main attraction, who were superb. Fair play to the man as well, just seen his interview on TV and seems he's paying for the refunds from his own pocket, thats nearly £4million quid! Doesn't really help me as my ticket was free, but my mate's chuffed!

As for the beer getting chucked, it's a gig! God, could be worse, it could be 1977 and people gobbing on each other. If you didn't like it you could always have gone and stood outside the front pit. I also enjoyed an impromtu wrestling ring which sprung up in the middle of Kasabian's set.

So up till Oasis walked off, all gravy, afterwards was a complete ball-ache. Had the most disgusting Chinese ever from a dodgy van, which made a reappearance on the way home. Then due to the delay had to walk to Bowker Vale metro, then due to that delay missed all the trains home, then sat for an hour and a half at a bus stop waiting for a night bus that was cancelled for no apparent reason, and with no signs. So had to share a taxi to Walkden, 35 bloody quid. Robbing bastards.
Brilliant! Only just picked up on this! One of my best mates from school! I will pass that on! :pray:
The Sherpa Van Trophy! We've won it one time!