What are you reading tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:23 pm

today I am mostly reading Charlie Brooker's "Dawn of the Dumb" - compilation for his Guardian TV columns - and other stuff (GQ?)

quite entertaining if you like reading someone who knows how to rant properly!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:36 pm

Just about to start "A most wanted man" by Le Carre.

Don't recall reading anything else by him, so I'll see hoe it goes.

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:44 pm

thebish wrote:today I am mostly reading Charlie Brooker's "Dawn of the Dumb" - compilation for his Guardian TV columns - and other stuff (GQ?)

It's decent enough fodder, I agree.

Finally getting on to Conn Iggulden's Genghis books.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:41 pm

Bruno wrote:
thebish wrote:today I am mostly reading Charlie Brooker's "Dawn of the Dumb" - compilation for his Guardian TV columns - and other stuff (GQ?)

It's decent enough fodder, I agree.

Finally getting on to Conn Iggulden's Genghis books.[/quote]

Excellent stuff, got the third one in my to read pile

ron
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ron » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:13 am

"The Life and Times of Little Richard" - fascinating so far.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:58 pm

ron wrote:"The Life and Times of Little Richard" - fascinating so far.
I read a review which left me feeling as though it might be the sort of book that I'd get halfway with. Please let us know how you get on with it won't you, Ron?
May the bridges I burn light your way

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:07 pm

Had a good old stint of grown ups books and war books. But back to good owd Doctor Who :mrgreen: My mind's been challenged enough

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:39 am

At last Absurdistan is finished and the shelf of shame lightened by one.

I struggled with this, then, two thirds of the way through the book Shteyngart hits his stride. His chapter 'A Modest Proposal' is high-order satire that is laugh-out-loud funny, hitting Jewish sensibilities, American Judaism in particular, academia and post-soviet chaos with a rare and cruel sharpness. I loved it.

About to look at the shelf, and decide the next...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:47 pm

I've just managed to read about a quarter of Screen Burn over the past couple of days. Absolutely first-class disdain and opprobrium!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:10 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

I've just managed to read about a quarter of Screen Burn over the past couple of days. Absolutely first-class disdain and opprobrium!
good stuff - always strikes me as a bit of a git - and probably not a nice person to know - but he doesn't half know how to scornfully rant - which is quite entertaining!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:30 am

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

good stuff - always strikes me as a bit of a git - and probably not a nice person to know - but he doesn't half know how to scornfully rant - which is quite entertaining!
Woman says- nicest man you will ever meet. She recently did a journalism course at the Edinburgh TV festival. He gave a talk, along with a few other celebs. He was the most down to earth and helpful of them all. A little reclusive and shy, but talked to them like people, and was really helpful. Is how his public persona has always struck me, distant and outside normal society, yet good hearted whilst being razor sharp and unforgiving.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:32 pm

Reading 'fugitive pieces' by Anne Michaels.

Page 86 now. Brilliant, brilliant book. Beautiful use of language, nice allusive story telling. heartbreaking. truthful. Tough. Just fantastic. been untouched on the shelf for at least five years. So glad I finally opened it. :D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:37 pm

Prufrock wrote:
thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Woman says- nicest man you will ever meet. She recently did a journalism course at the Edinburgh TV festival. He gave a talk, along with a few other celebs. He was the most down to earth and helpful of them all. A little reclusive and shy, but talked to them like people, and was really helpful. Is how his public persona has always struck me, distant and outside normal society, yet good hearted whilst being razor sharp and unforgiving.
fair play to the man then - added to my "nice person" list 8) I'm glad about that - cos I find his TV rants very entertaining!

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:43 pm

thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

fair play to the man then - added to my "nice person" list 8) I'm glad about that - cos I find his TV rants very entertaining!
I kinda know Charlie and can confirm that he's a very nice bloke. He also is wracked with self-doubt when it comes to his work, which is both preposterous and kinda sweet.
Viva La Portable Radio!

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:17 pm

mofgimmers wrote:
thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote: I've just managed to read about a quarter of Screen Burn over the past couple of days. Absolutely first-class disdain and opprobrium!
I kinda know Charlie and can confirm that he's a very nice bloke. He also is wracked with self-doubt when it comes to his work, which is both preposterous and kinda sweet.
Suppose when you're making so many points in one bit of work, you will have self-doubt over much of it. Find it very human, more than preposterous or sweet. If you're so sure of yourself when it comes to creativity, I just see you as a bit of an arrogant prick, frankly. You're creative, it's subjective. If you don't have doubts about it, you're either perfect or deluded.

Muchos respectos.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:42 pm

Got the hardback copy of Dan Brown's new novel The Lost Symbol, as a bithday present. Only read a couple of chapters so far. Will report when read.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:31 pm

Today I am mostly reading...

The Great Stink of London: Sir Joseph Bazalgette and the cleansing of Victorian London

cracking stuff....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:51 pm

thebish wrote:Today I am mostly reading...

The Great Stink of London: Sir Joseph Bazalgette and the cleansing of Victorian London

cracking stuff....
Hard to find effluence a riveting topic, but without the likes of him, Flushing and Thomas Crapper etc, we'd be in a right old mess today. Far more interesting than can first be imagined the topic is quite fascinating. We take a lot for granted these days. Far cry from the Romans handful of sand as toilet paper. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:13 pm

Today I'm reading about political corruption and the mafia in 20th Century Italy.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:22 pm

Verbal wrote:Today I'm reading about political corruption and the mafia in 20th Century Italy.
That'll be a weighty tome, I shouldn't wonder! :shock: