Idiotic woman killed by 'pet' bear

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
On the African plains clearly the Lion has an advantage.

In a ring though or a defined arena, I'd go for the bear.
What about on a British Airways plane?

Not much manoeuverability. Too many seats. Who has the advantage? The lion would find it easier to turn and climb over aisles, I'd say.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:17 pm

Puskas wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Not much manoeuverability. Too many seats. Who has the advantage? The lion would find it easier to turn and climb over aisles, I'd say.
Indeed but the bear could probably just stand its ground and fight on the spot.

The lion might get the element of surprise but then the bears strength may well be the deciding factor.

Plus the bear is taller and therefore would have a line of sight advantage.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Puskas wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Indeed but the bear could probably just stand its ground and fight on the spot.

The lion might get the element of surprise but then the bears strength may well be the deciding factor.

Plus the bear is taller and therefore would have a line of sight advantage.
Plus by standing on its hind quarters it maybe able to fit easier between aisles, possibly even having leg room by the emergency exits....

Just to clarify are we talking Lion or Lioness?
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

shevchenko54
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by shevchenko54 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:52 pm

jimbo wrote:
David Lee's Hair wrote:
Puskas wrote:
shevchenko54 wrote:
Bruno wrote: Cos bears are awesome?
Do you think a bear would beat a lion in a fight?
No.

Bears are, as has correctly been pointed out, awesome, but a lion would win in a fight.

Bears are large and cumbersome, and lack the feline grace of the lion, which would evade the bear's blows, and move in to pounce.

A tiger would, however, beat both.
You are quite wrong actually Puskas, the old goldrush settlers used to have bear fights when they got boring they shipped in some lions to fight the bears, the bears always won - though granted they were grizzly bears.

The lion you see, has a pretty weak skull, one swipe of a bears claws and BOSH the Lion is dead.

http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/conflict13.html

It is just further proof that America has more than its fair share of absolute idiots. Also reminding me of this tale....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -flat.html

Adding to the animal mix, aren't Polar Bears the only animal that view humans as natural prey?
Suppose you could look at it as like a heavyweight taking on a middle weight. The lion will have the agilty and speed, but just one swipe from the bear as others have said and it's all over. Surely the bear would just be too big for the lion's attacks to have that much of an impact? It's definitely an interesting one. Throw them both in the water and a great white shark would batter both!

On a slightly different topic, what do you reckon is the hardest animal that you could beat in a fight?
Good question! I am quietly confident that i could take most small-medium size dogs.

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:55 pm

I would absolutely batter a budgie

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:00 pm

Back in the day I hunted Pussy quite successfully! :wink:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:28 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:Back in the day I hunted Pussy quite successfully! :wink:
Not Beaver?

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:39 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:
Not Beaver?
or Cock? :wink:

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:51 pm

And how many dogs did you end up with?

Or, for that matter, moose?
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:56 pm

Bruno wrote:
David Lee's Hair wrote:
Not Beaver?
or Cock? :wink:
No, but I've met a few on the Internet. :wink:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:48 am

Haven't we all!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:21 am

Bruno wrote:Haven't we all!
Yes. And spiders are terrified of me.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:24 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
:shock: something to confess TD?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:32 am

David Lee's Hair wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
:shock: something to confess TD?
No, DHL, just following the trend of animals/insects you could take on and beat. (I don't actually kill them, just catch em and put them outside.) Can't understand the phobia some have about them. Mind you, just being near fish makes me shudder except when they're on a plate with salt and vinegar. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:58 am

What an idiot. Reminds me of the story I heard when visiting Banff as a kid of the woman who put jam on the kids face to get a nice picture. As I got older I assumed the story was BS but I did remember people pulling some pretty stupid stunts trying to get bears as close to the car as possible whilst throwing food out the passenger window. Mind you they weren't Grizzly Bears but still.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:01 pm

seanworth wrote:What an idiot. Reminds me of the story I heard when visiting Banff as a kid of the woman who put jam on the kids face to get a nice picture. As I got older I assumed the story was BS but I did remember people pulling some pretty stupid stunts trying to get bears as close to the car as possible whilst throwing food out the passenger window. Mind you they weren't Grizzly Bears but still.
While you mostly see black or brown bears rooting through the garbage cans (scousers?) in the national parks, I have seen grizzlies (at a distances as they seem much shyer). In Yellowstone they will march up to the car and try to get in without any food being tossed. There are quite a few incidents of joggers being attacked by bears (I always though that pastime was bad for the health) in Alberta and BC.b
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:07 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
seanworth wrote:What an idiot. Reminds me of the story I heard when visiting Banff as a kid of the woman who put jam on the kids face to get a nice picture. As I got older I assumed the story was BS but I did remember people pulling some pretty stupid stunts trying to get bears as close to the car as possible whilst throwing food out the passenger window. Mind you they weren't Grizzly Bears but still.
While you mostly see black or brown bears rooting through the garbage cans (scousers?) in the national parks, I have seen grizzlies (at a distances as they seem much shyer). In Yellowstone they will march up to the car and try to get in without any food being tossed. There are quite a few incidents of joggers being attacked by bears (I always though that pastime was bad for the health) in Alberta and BC.b
From the Guardian's 'Freak football injuries'

"Svein Grondalen: The Norway defender had to withdraw from an international during the 1970s after colliding with a moose while out jogging."
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:12 pm

My Cat would "do" you mate! :mrgreen:

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:24 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
I've only ever seen one Grizzly in the wild. I have probably seen over a 1000 black bears and mostly not at dumps. On the island I live we have Black bears, deer, elk and cougars for the most part. The only time I was ever afraid of a black bear was when two bear cubs making a lot of noise ran across the fairway when golfing. There we were 2 noisy cubs on one side of the course, us in the middle, and obviously a mother bear on the other side, and golfers behind us bitching about our slow play. In the end we ran up the fairway with our clubs reached down to scoop up the ball on the run and tossed it as far as we could. By the time we got to the clubhouse the golfers behind us came up to give us a lecture on golf etiquette. I then told them the story which really pissed them off that we didn't warn them. Told them maybe if they had learned a little off golf course ettiquette we might have let them know.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:42 pm

seanworth wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
I've only ever seen one Grizzly in the wild. I have probably seen over a 1000 black bears and mostly not at dumps. On the island I live we have Black bears, deer, elk and cougars for the most part. The only time I was ever afraid of a black bear was when two bear cubs making a lot of noise ran across the fairway when golfing. There we were 2 noisy cubs on one side of the course, us in the middle, and obviously a mother bear on the other side, and golfers behind us bitching about our slow play. In the end we ran up the fairway with our clubs reached down to scoop up the ball on the run and tossed it as far as we could. By the time we got to the clubhouse the golfers behind us came up to give us a lecture on golf etiquette. I then told them the story which really pissed them off that we didn't warn them. Told them maybe if they had learned a little off golf course ettiquette we might have let them know.
:mrgreen:
There did seem a lot of fauna when I played in Victoria, though no bears.
The grizzlies I've seen have not been in the national park, but when I take the back road from Kamloops to Squamish through Whistler. It is pretty lonely up there from Lillooet to Whistler, but spectacular in its way.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.