Idiotic woman killed by 'pet' bear

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:57 pm

I seem to remember, Monty, that grizzlies are territorial so if you run away (indicating submission) you are unlikely to be damaged. The same memory informs me that black bears are much more dangerous as their attitude to humans is not a territorial reaction but more a "I'll have you, mate" response to your presence.

Have I been misinformed?

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:27 am

I read somewhere that if a bear comes for you then you are meant to stand up tall and make lots of noise and they'll run off.....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:31 am

Bruno wrote:I read somewhere that if a bear comes for you then you are meant to stand up tall and make lots of noise and they'll run off.....
Good luck!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:59 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruno wrote:I read somewhere that if a bear comes for you then you are meant to stand up tall and make lots of noise and they'll run off.....
Good luck!
We're right behind you.*

*Well actually quite a long way behind you really.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:23 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
seanworth wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
seanworth wrote:What an idiot. Reminds me of the story I heard when visiting Banff as a kid of the woman who put jam on the kids face to get a nice picture. As I got older I assumed the story was BS but I did remember people pulling some pretty stupid stunts trying to get bears as close to the car as possible whilst throwing food out the passenger window. Mind you they weren't Grizzly Bears but still.
While you mostly see black or brown bears rooting through the garbage cans (scousers?) in the national parks, I have seen grizzlies (at a distances as they seem much shyer). In Yellowstone they will march up to the car and try to get in without any food being tossed. There are quite a few incidents of joggers being attacked by bears (I always though that pastime was bad for the health) in Alberta and BC.b
I've only ever seen one Grizzly in the wild. I have probably seen over a 1000 black bears and mostly not at dumps. On the island I live we have Black bears, deer, elk and cougars for the most part. The only time I was ever afraid of a black bear was when two bear cubs making a lot of noise ran across the fairway when golfing. There we were 2 noisy cubs on one side of the course, us in the middle, and obviously a mother bear on the other side, and golfers behind us bitching about our slow play. In the end we ran up the fairway with our clubs reached down to scoop up the ball on the run and tossed it as far as we could. By the time we got to the clubhouse the golfers behind us came up to give us a lecture on golf etiquette. I then told them the story which really pissed them off that we didn't warn them. Told them maybe if they had learned a little off golf course ettiquette we might have let them know.
:mrgreen:
There did seem a lot of fauna when I played in Victoria, though no bears.
The grizzlies I've seen have not been in the national park, but when I take the back road from Kamloops to Squamish through Whistler. It is pretty lonely up there from Lillooet to Whistler, but spectacular in its way.
Aye but I only lived in Victoria whilst going to University. I was raised 120 miles north of Victoria in the Comox Valley.

Now the cougar which is more scarce still likes a good day out now and then which sometimes includes a trip to downtown Victoria which must include the Empress Hotel. Sorry no pictures, but I remember the story and picture at the time in the local paper in Bangkok. Oh yes and Brunos self defense technique is more effective against the cougar than the bear. Had a friend once jumped by a cougar while hunting. He saved his life but knifing the cougar. His face was not saved so well though.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource. ... ug=1479237

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:31 am

Why would ANYONE live in such mental places. I hate fecking spiders, never mind bloody cougars and bears rocking around.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:12 am

Prufrock wrote:Why would ANYONE live in such mental places. I hate fecking spiders, never mind bloody cougars and bears rocking around.
Come on Prufrock don't be such a wuss. You can't say that the most exciting thing you want in your life is coming face to face with a hedgehog in a blind alley. Cougars are scary but for the most part bears are not. Well maybe polar bears but then I don't intend on moving up to the arctic circle. To me it is a rush coming across a bear (without cubs) while hiking in the woods.

I've lived in Thailand so many years now and yet I have hardly every seen any wild life. Outside on the odd wild elephant, no tigers or any of the other wild cats that supposedly inhabit his country. In Australia outside of a lot of dead animals on the side of the road I only saw kangaroos. I miss that part of growing up. I would love to stumble across a well fed tiger as it seems the only thing I get to see these days are snakes, oh yeah saw those in Oz as well. I fecking hate snakes. I've had snakes in the house, snakes in the tent while trying to make out with a girl, snakes in the pool while swimming and even had a shower with a snake. I fecking hate them. Give me a tiger any day or at the very least a bear.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:48 pm

I heard periods attract bears.. They can smell the menstruation

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:00 pm

boltonboris wrote:I heard periods attract bears.. They can smell the menstruation
Wouldn't know. Sure you are not getting bears and Komodo Dragons confused. Possibly Polar Bears but again I have no desire to move to the Arctic.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:14 pm

seanworth wrote:
boltonboris wrote:I heard periods attract bears.. They can smell the menstruation
Wouldn't know. Sure you are not getting bears and Komodo Dragons confused. Possibly Polar Bears but again I have no desire to move to the Arctic.
Or no desire to watch Anchorman? :wink:

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:28 pm

boltonboris wrote:
seanworth wrote:
Bear with me it's been long day. I do have some recollection of that comment now you mention it. :D

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:06 pm

boltonboris wrote:
seanworth wrote:
I watched that one, i've been trying to erase it from my memory ever since.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:07 pm

Bruno wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
seanworth wrote:
I watched that one, i've been trying to erase it from my memory ever since.
You baffle me Bruno, it's like you're saying these things to get a reaction!! What next you're going to recommend Zombieland?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:55 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:
Puskas wrote:
shevchenko54 wrote:
Bruno wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote: Thought did cross my mind. A wild animal that size kept in a fifteen feet square cage for why? Bad enough in zoos, but private owners keeping them for no sensible reason defies explanation.
Cos bears are awesome?
Do you think a bear would beat a lion in a fight?
No.

Bears are, as has correctly been pointed out, awesome, but a lion would win in a fight.

Bears are large and cumbersome, and lack the feline grace of the lion, which would evade the bear's blows, and move in to pounce.

A tiger would, however, beat both.
You are quite wrong actually Puskas, the old goldrush settlers used to have bear fights when they got boring they shipped in some lions to fight the bears, the bears always won - though granted they were grizzly bears.

The lion you see, has a pretty weak skull, one swipe of a bears claws and BOSH the Lion is dead.

http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/conflict13.html

It is just further proof that America has more than its fair share of absolute idiots. Also reminding me of this tale....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -flat.html

Adding to the animal mix, aren't Polar Bears the only animal that view humans as natural prey?
I know that if you eat Polar Bear Liver it will kill you. Overdose of vitamin D or something.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:07 am

Lord Kangana wrote:
David Lee's Hair wrote:
Puskas wrote:
shevchenko54 wrote:
Bruno wrote: Cos bears are awesome?
Do you think a bear would beat a lion in a fight?
No.

Bears are, as has correctly been pointed out, awesome, but a lion would win in a fight.

Bears are large and cumbersome, and lack the feline grace of the lion, which would evade the bear's blows, and move in to pounce.

A tiger would, however, beat both.
You are quite wrong actually Puskas, the old goldrush settlers used to have bear fights when they got boring they shipped in some lions to fight the bears, the bears always won - though granted they were grizzly bears.

The lion you see, has a pretty weak skull, one swipe of a bears claws and BOSH the Lion is dead.

http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/conflict13.html

It is just further proof that America has more than its fair share of absolute idiots. Also reminding me of this tale....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -flat.html

Adding to the animal mix, aren't Polar Bears the only animal that view humans as natural prey?
I know that if you eat Polar Bear Liver it will kill you. Overdose of vitamin D or something.
I wouldn't be best pleased if you try to eat mine!

I inadvertantly terrified my daughter once by informing her that if a Polar Bear stood to its full height it could look through her bedroom window. Cue three nights of nightmares. :doh:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"