new olympic sports

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:55 am

malcd1 wrote:End of. And if you disagree you are wrong.
Well, convinced me. I take back all I said.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:19 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
What a fecking tit! :lol:
Am I a tit for saying what I said or the way that I said it?

What I said is correct. The way I said it is probably questionable but still correct.
Last edited by malcd1 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:20 am

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:
Well, convinced me. I take back all I said.
I'm glad my sound reasoning has changed your mind. :wink:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:48 am

boltonboris wrote:The IOC are setting a dangerous precedent by having sports like this, Tennis, Football, Basketball etc.. These are huge money sports, with massive exposure... All well and good so far, but and here's the but, the Olympics, should be the pinnacle of a sportsmans career not a side issue or even for some, an unwelcome distraction from the genuine prizes like Majors, world cups etc

It could be viewed by some as a second rate competition, which is a real shame

I don't understand where all these confidently stated "should"s come from. What's the authority for them?

I understand the point you make about a 'second rate competition', even if I don't accept it. Let me put this one to you though - is there not the same danger of the Olympics being regarded as such if it only covers the 'second rate' sports, and isn't confident of including any sport in which it wouldn't be top dog.

I think an Olympic gold medal would always be a special thing for any athlete in any sport. You mention tennis, and the last Olympics saw Nadal desperate to win his gold, and Federer hell-bent on taking gold in the doubles, to make up for his singles exit.

As for football, and a 'dangerous precedent'... not really sure what you mean here - the game has been played at every Olympics but one since 1900. Of course it's not the same as a World Cup, but should the Olympics take its ball away as soon as there is evidence of its being superseded as the most prestigious event in the sport? The Olympics is not an irrelevance, for example, in the career of Jay Jay Okocha.

Why not have some star quality in this celebration of international sport? Is it not a great thing for the archers, riflemen, judo players etc that every four years they get to share a stage with the likes of Roger Federer and Tiger Woods - where is the loser?

The Olympics can have a place in any sport as a sui generis, quadrennial, no prize-money, patriotic event in the name of the honour, glory and society-enhancing effect of sport itself.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:08 am

I define Sport as something you can't do in everyday clothing or footwear.

Anything else is a hobby or pastime.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:26 pm

id like to see Squash played at the Olympics!

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:39 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:id like to see Squash played at the Olympics!
I love squash, and played for many years. Also watched top level players and watched Nicol David play from the time she was 13. Having said that, while I enjoy watching squash I do not think it is much of a spectator sport. Still it is a sport in the Asian games.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:41 pm

seanworth wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:id like to see Squash played at the Olympics!
I love squash, and played for many years. Also watched top level players and watched Nicol David play from the time she was 13. Having said that, while I enjoy watching squash I do not think it is much of a spectator sport. Still it is a sport in the Asian games.
i play too, 3 or 4 times a week! and love watching the pro's too - i played Danny MAssaro in a comp the other week, who s the husband and coach of Laura Massaro - world No 10... he beat her in the final! i didnt get many points off him...