What are you reading tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:28 pm

Got a leaving present from work today: 1001 Greatest Football Moments. A big book of 620 pages covering a load of great football history from the founding of The Football League in 1863 right up to the present day. Of course it has a colour photo of West Ham winning the World Cup in 66 as a cover, but, that apart, seems a real football companion. Not started it yet but looking forward to it. Well chuffed.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Got a leaving present from work today: 1001 Greatest Football Moments. A big book of 620 pages covering a load of great football history from the founding of The Football League in 1863 right up to the present day. Of course it has a colour photo of West Ham winning the World Cup in 66 as a cover, but, that apart, seems a real football companion. Not started it yet but looking forward to it. Well chuffed.
They sell it in Selfridges in a big leather bound edition. Costs a couple of hundred quid if memory serves me right... You did well out of that

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:39 pm

boltonboris wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Got a leaving present from work today: 1001 Greatest Football Moments. A big book of 620 pages covering a load of great football history from the founding of The Football League in 1863 right up to the present day. Of course it has a colour photo of West Ham winning the World Cup in 66 as a cover, but, that apart, seems a real football companion. Not started it yet but looking forward to it. Well chuffed.
They sell it in Selfridges in a big leather bound edition. Costs a couple of hundred quid if memory serves me right... You did well out of that
This one was from Waterstones and bought by a guy who doesn't even work for us, but on reception for the building our company is in. I've worked well with them for several years and thought it a really nice gesture. I'll treasure it. I got taken out to lunch by the Chief Exec in the bargain. Good day all round. :mrgreen:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:38 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
This one was from Waterstones and bought by a guy who doesn't even work for us, but on reception for the building our company is in. I've worked well with them for several years and thought it a really nice gesture. I'll treasure it. I got taken out to lunch by the Chief Exec in the bargain. Good day all round. :mrgreen:
Where did this date take place?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:03 pm

boltonboris wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
If you mean West Ham winning the World Cup it was 1966. If you mean me finally retiring, it was today. :mrgreen:

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:21 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
If you mean West Ham winning the World Cup it was 1966. If you mean me finally retiring, it was today. :mrgreen:

Congratulations TD.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:26 pm

Cheers WW. Strange feeling knowing you'll never go back to a place after seventeen years there. I'll get used to it though, starting Monday morning. :wink:

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:26 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:If you mean me finally retiring, it was today.
Good on yer. I'd crack that wine and settle down to an hour of SRB (not Sausage in a Roll in a Box for me).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxXRWu0I3w0

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:38 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
Good on yer. I'd crack that wine and settle down to an hour of SRB (not Sausage in a Roll in a Box for me).

Must be my pc speed. It only goes so far then cuts out.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:42 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Little Green Man wrote:

Must be my pc speed. It only goes so far then cuts out.
Happened to me too. I refreshed the page and then clicked a bit further ahead on the slide bar.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:11 pm

Started reading Malcolm Gluck's The Great Wine Swindle.

Would love to strongly recommend it, as he's great on dismissing wine snobbery, as well as exposing all sorts of shady practices that take place.

Unfortunately he talks too much nonsense at times. Particularly with regard to organic wines, and his dislike of "chemicals". Because, Malcolm, organic wines don't contain any chemicals, do they? They're made up of, erm...., er..... a vacuum?

Editing should have been better, as well.

All of which is a shame, because it's good otherwise.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:29 pm

TANGODANCER wrote: . . . If you mean me finally retiring, it was today. :mrgreen:
Bloody hell, TANGO, I thought you were going on for ever. Well done, old man, I somehow doubt you'll regret it and I'm also sure that in a month or two you'll be wondering how you found the time to go to work prior to you pulling the plug.

I'm semi-retired, in that I run an advice and repair business for a Hong Kong based company. It's hardly an onerous yoke even though I'm on call, as it were, 7 days a week (and a hundred quid a week for doing sweet bugger all pays for my fags and grog and internet and satellite TV). :mrgreen:

Good luck, mate, enjoy your new life and remember that the response to Mrs TANGO must always, as it undoubtedly always has, be 'yes, dear'. :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:58 pm

Dujon wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote: . . . If you mean me finally retiring, it was today. :mrgreen:
Bloody hell, TANGO, I thought you were going on for ever. :
It's the truth. Here's the proof. Once they give you the cake there's no going back. :mrgreen:

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:38 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Dujon wrote:
Bloody hell, TANGO, I thought you were going on for ever. :
It's the truth. Here's the proof. Once they give you the cake there's no going back. :mrgreen:

Enjoy TD

Only another 23 years left for me now. :evil:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:56 am

enfieldwhite wrote: Enjoy TD

Only another 23 years left for me now. :evil:
Have you factored in the increase in retirement age - up to 67 in 2024 or so. And 68 in 2034...
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Cheers WW. Strange feeling knowing you'll never go back to a place after seventeen years there. I'll get used to it though, starting Monday morning. :wink:
Happy retirement TD.......lots to look forward to......jeremy Kyle..........bargain hunt...............old man's nap and a quick fiddle in the afternoon..........just in time for countdown..................; Seriousley have great time;

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:56 pm

Il Pirate wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Cheers WW. Strange feeling knowing you'll never go back to a place after seventeen years there. I'll get used to it though, starting Monday morning. :wink:
Happy retirement TD.......lots to look forward to......jeremy Kyle..........bargain hunt...............old man's nap and a quick fiddle in the afternoon..........just in time for countdown..................; Seriousley have great time;
Shxt. I must be getting into it quick, I nodded off this afternoon. Must be all that B & Q stress. :lol:

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:04 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:
Shxt. I must be getting into it quick, I nodded off this afternoon. Must be all that B & Q stress. :lol:
Old man's nap sounds ace. Even during the Kebabling's Little Girl Nap, I feel far too young for Old Man Nap. Therefore, Dad Washing Up and Tidy Up dominate those two hours....
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:11 pm

Reading Roberts Fisk's "The Great War For Civilisation".

Its a first hand account of the Middle East over the last 30 years from a journalist who lives there. If anyone wants a few reasons for us to get the hell out of Afghanistan pretty sharpish, its all here. With bells on. One of the best books I've read in a good while.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:29 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Reading Roberts Fisk's "The Great War For Civilisation".

Its a first hand account of the Middle East over the last 30 years from a journalist who lives there. If anyone wants a few reasons for us to get the hell out of Afghanistan pretty sharpish, its all here. With bells on. One of the best books I've read in a good while.
I can't pretend I have the required knowledge of what's going on to offer a serious opinion.

But, in the light of the book, what do you make of the official argument that we'd be leaving an enormous terrorist training camp if we pulled out?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families