Sh*t journalism thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Sh*t journalism thread

Post by Verbal » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:16 am

because it gives oiks like me who aspire to this profession some sort of hope that may one day replace these cretins (speaking of the former, what the hell happened to daxter?)

http://xrrf.blogspot.com/2010/01/sunday ... tself.html

I mean, come on. I know some old-school journalists may have an apprehension toward new media, but lol.

The article has been taken off now, but below is the article in its full glory, dropping off the edge of a google cache...

http://66.102.9.132/search?q=cache:Bi36 ... clnk&gl=uk
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:13 am

Marvellous. Good old Widdy showing yet again she has her finger on the pulse. Christ. It's up there with the worst of all arguments isn't it, the 'waste of my license fee', it's another problem t'internet has created, a self-central view of the world. The kind of people who wonder why papers publish news from outside their postcode, or the TV schedule has lists of programmes they don't want to watch, a whole TWENTY tweets a day at 250 characters TOP per tweet, means about 800 hundred words a day. Or about 10 mins. Christ string 'em up. Never mind the vast majority of (BBC type, not twatty everyone cares what I think even though I am a nobody) tweets are informative to many, many subscribers. Sod it, that doesn't fit with sweeping angry generalisations.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:49 am

Prufrock wrote:Marvellous. Good old Widdy showing yet again she has her finger on the pulse. Christ. It's up there with the worst of all arguments isn't it, the 'waste of my license fee', it's another problem t'internet has created, a self-central view of the world. The kind of people who wonder why papers publish news from outside their postcode, or the TV schedule has lists of programmes they don't want to watch, a whole TWENTY tweets a day at 250 characters TOP per tweet, means about 800 hundred words a day. Or about 10 mins. Christ string 'em up. Never mind the vast majority of (BBC type, not twatty everyone cares what I think even though I am a nobody) tweets are informative to many, many subscribers. Sod it, that doesn't fit with sweeping angry generalisations.
I find it odd too how different 'papers have embraced social networking. Take the Guardian, who've practically sexed it, and t'other publications (such as fourfourtwo). Different perspectives I guess.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:57 am

Prufrock wrote:Marvellous. Good old Widdy showing yet again she has her finger on the pulse. Christ. It's up there with the worst of all arguments isn't it, the 'waste of my license fee', it's another problem t'internet has created, a self-central view of the world. The kind of people who wonder why papers publish news from outside their postcode, or the TV schedule has lists of programmes they don't want to watch, a whole TWENTY tweets a day at 250 characters TOP per tweet, means about 800 hundred words a day. Or about 10 mins. Christ string 'em up. Never mind the vast majority of (BBC type, not twatty everyone cares what I think even though I am a nobody) tweets are informative to many, many subscribers. Sod it, that doesn't fit with sweeping angry generalisations.
Oh yeah, and do some work. :mrgreen:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:00 am

Verbal wrote:
Oh yeah, and do some work. :mrgreen:
BASTARD. I fell for it :( . Curioistity made the cat do Latin.

As for your above post, I've not seen so much the media thing, as it's hard to do on Facebook, and I'm not a Twitter-er, in what way do you mean things like the Guardian sex it up, or FourFourTwo use it?

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:32 am

Prufrock wrote: As for your above post, I've not seen so much the media thing, as it's hard to do on Facebook, and I'm not a Twitter-er, in what way do you mean things like the Guardian sex it up, or FourFourTwo use it?
In that sense that they embrace the opportunities social networking provides media. The Guardian in particular, who've embraced it, and have now moved in, married and had kids with it. Obviously stuff like comment is free kicked it off, but with regard to twitter, they've got their own twitter pages, and use them to stimulate debate which has often resulted in them obtaining breaking news and set the news agenda. I was at the Guardian Student Media Conference last year, and they basically emphasised this point, with regard to the Trafigura thing. On the day before press, the editor posted a twitter saying "did John Wilkes die in vain?", prompting a massive surge of traffic and hullabaloo amongst the internets. Eventually, the gagging order was revoked. More explicitly, social media, youtube and twitter helped them track down the video of the guy who got shoved by the poh-lice during the g20 protests in London. Essentially, they're seeing it as a tool to gather information and inform debate, rather than a threat.

Oh, and I just said fourfourtwo cos DSB regularly plugs his twitter updates on here. In a world where news is always happening, and with the internet readily available, it is a good way for a monthly publication to stay on the pulse and attract, and sustain a readership. Or something like that.

Also, welcome to betfair-link roulette. :)

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:53 pm

Woman posts blog about her job, Mail twist into an exposé of chauvinism at work...without actually consulting her.

The article: http://twitpic.com/zka77/full

The blogpost: http://melschregardus.wordpress.com/201 ... on-sunday/

deary deary :|

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:09 pm

Not so much sh*t, as amusing:
BBC Live Text wrote:Without trying to come over all Newsround legend John Craven, here's a round-up of the news:
Crystal Palace are in administration
The FA rightly prepares to throw the book at Rio Ferdinand
Talks continue over ending Robinho's hapless spell at Man City
Man Utd sign a defender who has made one Premier League start for a reported fee of about £8m
Portsmouth are allowed to bring players in on frees and loans
Rafa Benitez's link to Juventus is denied by his agent
Poor John Craven, sounds like someone's been Craven Cottage-ing

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:29 am

Journalism is dead. The Internet and 24-hour news networks have made it impractical to do research and stuff, so instead they just have a left-wing hack and a right-wing hack shout at each other.

Recently I was watching that smug prick Anderson Cooper on CNN talking about how, in Haiti, a Doctors Without Borders plane was turned away while a plane with a US Representative who was picking up some healthy orphans was allowed to land. "I don't know who's in charge making those decisions," said Cooper. "Maybe we can look into that." Can you imagine Walter Cronkite saying something like that 30 years ago? He probably would have, y'know, looked it up.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:40 am

Opinion is more important than fact these days, I'm afraid... which columnist can be the most hysterical is the order of the day.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:42 am

Have you seen that there Glen Beck fella? He's either mad or on a bloody good wind up.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:44 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:Have you seen that there Glen Beck fella? He's either mad or on a bloody good wind up.
Mental. I think he actually means it.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:48 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 492556.stm

A decent enough article spoiled by the worst pun in the history of the world in the last line.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:22 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:Have you seen that there Glen Beck fella? He's either mad or on a bloody good wind up.
If you hate Glen Beck, you'll love this.

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/v ... r_accident

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:30 pm

I dont hate him, just find him bemusing. He does seem to wind up a lot of people over there.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:29 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:I dont hate him, just find him bemusing. He does seem to wind up a lot of people over there.
I just can't believe somebody as ignorant as your average Alabama Bush-voter could get a high-paying job on a national TV network. It's very disheartening.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:30 am

I have absolutely no idea who Glen Beck is. How come he's so unpopular? Do we have someone similarly anoying that I can use as a gauge?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:38 am

I'm guessing Richard Littlejohn. Just because he's incredibly annoying.

To be honest, I've no idea who Glenn Beck is, I just wanted to reiterate that I think Littlejohn is a cock.

If that helps.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:39 am

Erm. A more manic and right wing Richard Littlejohn is probably close.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:40 am

Goebbels?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.