What are you playing tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:38 pm

Motion City Soundtrack - My Dinosaur Life
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:14 pm

Went to see Frank Turner headline at the Roundhouse. Possibly the best gig I've ever been to. Delighted for the guy. To have come from playing in front of about 3 people in Nambucca to this in two years is amazing. Hairs on the back of the neck good, I have no voice and I'm still pumped on adrenaline!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Tonight I'm working late, but last night was a strange mixture of Dylan, Bruch and John Cooper Clark, partly shared by daughter, and ending in our discussion of the comparisons between desolation row and beasley street...

So nice, after the the years of snarl and surl to be able to talk to a teenager who has made it back to half-human again...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:11 pm

William the White wrote:Tonight I'm working late, but last night was a strange mixture of Dylan, Bruch and John Cooper Clark, partly shared by daughter, and ending in our discussion of the comparisons between desolation row and beasley street...
one small difference..

in Desolation Row the rats have got polio whereas in Beasley Street they all have rickets...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:12 pm

William the White wrote: So nice, after the the years of snarl and surl to be able to talk to a teenager who has made it back to half-human again...
she's just waiting for you now.... :wink:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:37 pm

thebish wrote:
William the White wrote: So nice, after the the years of snarl and surl to be able to talk to a teenager who has made it back to half-human again...
she's just waiting for you now.... :wink:
Yes, I know... She really should have more patience with me...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:27 pm

tonight am mostly listening to my missus and my daughter singing duets from "Wicked" in the hallway.... and reflecting that my daughter is growing up - and now has quite a grown-up voice (and a new boyfriend - summat I am not ready for...)

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:06 am

Bit of early nineties class from Luke Haynes. Ladies avert the eyes....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B5es1l9 ... re=related
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:37 am

James have kindly made five tracks from their new album (due mid-April) available to listen to on their website for the next few days:

http://www.wearejames.com/

Superb stuff! This band are still going from strength to strength even after all these years and I can't wait to see them at Preston in a couple of weeks and then the Royal Albert Hall two weeks later.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:36 am

clapton is god wrote:James have kindly made five tracks from their new album (due mid-April) available to listen to on their website for the next few days:

http://www.wearejames.com/

Superb stuff! This band are still going from strength to strength even after all these years and I can't wait to see them at Preston in a couple of weeks and then the Royal Albert Hall two weeks later.
They did start from a fairly low position of "strength" though.

Saw 'em in the 80's at that train station in Manchester. I was already sat down, by the time they sang "sit down"...

Anyhoo - Quicksilver Messenger Service for me tonight..

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:15 pm

Listening ont' World Service last week, they did an article on these two African guys - The late guitarist Ali Farka Touré and kora player Toumani Diabaté.

I won't actually be listening to them this evening as I don't own anything by them - a situation that needs rectifying, soon. Absolutely superb.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:57 pm

I'd always intended to buy this AFT album - his final solo one.

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=181113

Ta for reminding me.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Little Green Man wrote:I'd always intended to buy this AFT album - his final solo one.

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=181113

Ta for reminding me.
Savane- It's on that there Spotify. I'd heard his name bandied about -maybe in that Joe Strummer film?- but never heard any. Got it on now, it's belting.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:37 am

Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:10 pm

bobby5 wrote:Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy.
If you haven't already got the album New Miserable Experience, Bobby, then might I suggest that you do.

It's towards the top of my never-tire-of-listening-to pile.

You might also want to check out The Longshadows, who are/were a Robin Wilson side project. The album Simple Minded Way is on the same pile (but I think you can only get it via their Myspace site).

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:52 pm

Todays three have been

The Rascals - Rascalize
Madness - Absolutely
Suede - Suede
Sto ut Serviam

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:32 pm

right now I am mostly playing Whiter Shade of Pale by Procol Harum - simply because it was used at a funeral I just conducted (followed by a burial in the middle of an exposed and freezing bleak cemetry with sleet and a howling gale such that I froze my nadgers off!)

anyway - hadn't heard that for so long I just had to come home and put it on LOUD - cracking stuff!

no idea what it is about, but the room is humming harder and the ceiling just flew away and across the road road there are 16 vestal virgins getting the bus for Southend....

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:28 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
bobby5 wrote:Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy.
If you haven't already got the album New Miserable Experience, Bobby, then might I suggest that you do.

It's towards the top of my never-tire-of-listening-to pile.

You might also want to check out The Longshadows, who are/were a Robin Wilson side project. The album Simple Minded Way is on the same pile (but I think you can only get it via their Myspace site).
I have all the GB stuff Bruce. :) Doug Hopkins whose fine work is central to New Miserable Experience is a genius that is sorely missed. As you say, never tire of listening to them.

I will check out the Longshadows :)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:17 pm

Someone's lent me an album by (I thought that this was a band name, turns out it's this American fella's soubriquet) Five for Fighting. Easy on the ear, tuneful - I've heard much worse.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:49 pm

thebish wrote:right now I am mostly playing Whiter Shade of Pale by Procol Harum - simply because it was used at a funeral I just conducted (followed by a burial in the middle of an exposed and freezing bleak cemetry with sleet and a howling gale such that I froze my nadgers off!)

anyway - hadn't heard that for so long I just had to come home and put it on LOUD - cracking stuff!

no idea what it is about, but the room is humming harder and the ceiling just flew away and across the road road there are 16 vestal virgins getting the bus for Southend....
Please, please tell me you didn't trip the light fandango and do cartwheels across the floor. The pictures running around my head right now are mind-boggling. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?