What are you reading tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:44 pm

Reading Merlins Wood by Robert Holdstock, tough going probably as I was not in the mood for it so will see

And Oliver Postgate's autobiography which is very good and interesting.
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:14 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Whilst away last week I ran out of reading material so ended up buying a novel by a guy called Robert Goddard. The book's titled Found Wanting. It promises to be a good read. I'll let you know if I think it is or not.
I read Robert Goddard's "Sight Unseen" not long ago. Not a bad read.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:19 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Whilst away last week I ran out of reading material so ended up buying a novel by a guy called Robert Goddard. The book's titled Found Wanting. It promises to be a good read. I'll let you know if I think it is or not.
I read Robert Goddard's "Sight Unseen" not long ago. Not a bad read.
Is he the one who writes stories where there is always a "link" to the past? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: Is he the one who writes stories where there is always a "link" to the past? Or am I thinking of someone else?
I'm not familiar with his other stuff, fella, but this one links back to Anna Andersen - the woman that claimed to be Anastasia
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:23 pm

The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer. Fine writing.
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:24 pm

The third in the Stig Larsson trilogy has just arrived in paperback "The girl who kicked the hornets' nest" - I was too stingy to buy the hard-back!

am very much looking forward to reading it - but will have to wait for the missus to read it first!

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:04 pm

thebish wrote:The third in the Stig Larsson trilogy has just arrived in paperback "The girl who kicked the hornets' nest" - I was too stingy to buy the hard-back!

am very much looking forward to reading it - but will have to wait for the missus to read it first!
Just finished it :mrgreen:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:05 pm

jimbo wrote:
thebish wrote:The third in the Stig Larsson trilogy has just arrived in paperback "The girl who kicked the hornets' nest" - I was too stingy to buy the hard-back!

8) ahh - but isn't it good still to have it to look forward to? the anticipation?? (hurry up missus!)

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:14 pm

thebish wrote:
jimbo wrote:

8) ahh - but isn't it good still to have it to look forward to? the anticipation?? (hurry up missus!)
Ahh but the satisfaction that I have having read it! I couldn't wait for it in paperback. I read the first 2 ages ago and then having watched the film a couple of weeks ago couldn't hold out for the last one any longer!

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:10 am

I sincerely hope, thebish, that 'the missus' has the sense to keep her trap shut before you've finished your turn.

Likewise for those here who have already read it.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:54 am

Dujon wrote:I sincerely hope, thebish, that 'the missus' has the sense to keep her trap shut before you've finished your turn.

Likewise for those here who have already read it.
:D she's finished it now, but I'm halfway through another book...

I am reading "The Book of Illusions" by Paul Auster - a really good read so far...

a bloke whose family is killed in a plane crash descends into booze-fuelled reclusive grief and randonly watches a documentary about a little-known star of the silent silver screen - Hector Mann - and is drawn into research... and (presumably, because I am only half way through!) it becomes his salvation

well written and thought provoking

(among the thoughts provoked - the idea that the coming of colour and sound killed off "real cinema acting".. maybe a bit extreme - but an interesting thought)

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:07 am

im reading that Mark Kermode book, i love listening to him on the radio but the book is quite hard work, i think he is trying too hard to show off with big words, and im constantly checking google for actors to find out who the frig he's talking about!

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:09 pm

Nearly finished 1974 by David Peace. Excellent book, bit violent (just been a bottom rape bit which is not what you want to read first thing in the morning) but very good and can't wait to finish the series

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:42 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Nearly finished 1974 by David Peace. Excellent book, bit violent (just been a bottom rape bit which is not what you want to read first thing in the morning) but very good and can't wait to finish the series
was that a boy or girls ass raping?

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:01 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:Nearly finished 1974 by David Peace. Excellent book, bit violent (just been a bottom rape bit which is not what you want to read first thing in the morning) but very good and can't wait to finish the series
Girls. Bit graphic when you can still taste toothpaste

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:06 pm

ARSE!

An ass is a small 'oss.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:13 pm

would one be more palatable than the other?? :conf:

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:31 pm

thebish wrote:
yes.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:51 pm

James Lee Burke, Pegasus Descending. His novels are always decent.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:57 pm

thebish wrote:
yes.
rape?