The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Fri May 07, 2010 1:19 am

Athers wrote:If everyone was as quick as Sunderland at counting, I could be in bed by now.
Aye, what's the deal, first three seats all from Sunderland. You've got to think the rest of the country is doing it wrong.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Fri May 07, 2010 1:20 am

bobo the clown wrote:
People queuing late because it was raining, because the queue's were long when they first came, because the processors were slow ... none of it matters. It's well enough understood in fecking X-Factor, so why it's difficult here I fail to see.

It's a different matter where the Electoral Roll's wrong (as claimed about Chester) ... & the reasons for that have to be investigated. It also has to be shown to be correct, by the way. Time will tell.

Also needing investigating is where there is said that there were too few Ballot Papers. That's staggering IF TRUE. Each Polling Centre should have precisely the same number of papers as names on the register.
No - that's rubbish

It is the job of the Electoral officials to ensure that there are sufficient counters to process everyone who turns up.

Not having sufficient staff or polling booths is a disgrace.

It is just as bad as not having enough ballot papers
What goes around may still come around

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Fri May 07, 2010 1:39 am

Good God!
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri May 07, 2010 2:14 am

Amusing that Clegg didn't even carry the Oxbridge rejects.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri May 07, 2010 2:24 am

And now Lembit Opik (he's alive!) has fallen to the Conservatives!
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri May 07, 2010 2:26 am

Bolton NE is red
Sto ut Serviam

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri May 07, 2010 2:29 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:Bolton NE is red
Nowhere near, by the sounds of it.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri May 07, 2010 2:41 am

Chester goes Tory.

For those who don't live round here .... & that could well be most of you ... it's probably a surprise that is wasn't already.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri May 07, 2010 2:51 am

bobo the clown wrote:Chester goes Tory.

For those who don't live round here .... & that could well be most of you ... it's probably a surprise that is wasn't already.
All the Labour voters were pissed at the races today...

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri May 07, 2010 4:54 am

Oh well, we haven't gone Balls deep. Time for bed.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri May 07, 2010 7:21 am

farnworth scum wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
What's region got to do with it?
We live in a working class mill town its got everything to do with it.
Yeah with loads of "working mills" like!
If you think Labour are anything to do with the "working class" my friend you are living in the 50's

Dammed labour activists in Bolton West just scrapped this seat for them targeting bits of the ward with wavers, pigs with red rosettes and all that. More feckin pot holes!!!!

If they all turn up to vote at 9.30 its because the stupid kids think by voting late it will effect the result!! seems a bit typical, in most pictures it appeared to be the youth being turned away!
BUT THAT DONT MAKE IT RIGHT!!!
Democracy has to be seen to be working or you might as well accept me for PM :mrgreen:
(Not really that bad a result ) :mrgreen:

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri May 07, 2010 8:39 am

Well the papers tried scaremongering us to death about the prospect of a hung parliament, so if there's a confidence dip in the markets today we can all raise a glass to the duckwits at Fleet Street. Was on the cards for a long, long time and someone will just have to make it work. They're all there to serve, now's their chance.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri May 07, 2010 8:52 am

I managed until about 2am, by which time no-one knew what was going on, although looks like the result was in front of everyone with the exit poll.

I see Bolton West had less than 100 votes in it. Were there any voting issues there?
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri May 07, 2010 9:18 am

Athers wrote:I managed until about 2am, by which time no-one knew what was going on, although looks like the result was in front of everyone with the exit poll.

I see Bolton West had less than 100 votes in it. Were there any voting issues there?
Yep, they allowed 100 half wits a vote!!!! :mrgreen:

Still alls not lost by the time Brown nose and Cleggy cock up and divorce the Tory's will cake walk the next election in 12 mths time. :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri May 07, 2010 9:19 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:
thebish wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:Watching the Election results would be like watching Rocky XXV

You know the winner before the opening credits roll
OK Caps - what will the result be then? (so you can save us all from staying up)

overall Tory majority
hung parliament with labour in second (in terms of seats)
hung parliament with labour in third (in terms of seats)
summat else

(maybe you're SirNuts supernatural Brian?)
Not sure why you chuck in 'in terms of seats' seeing as it's the only measure thats important

Makes me smile a touch that many of those wanting reform would no doubt want to chuck in a rider that the BNP aren't allowed MPs

As for the result

1 Tories with overall majority
2 Labour
3 One of the minor parties, SDP, UKIP, BNP, PC...who cares
better go out and rent that Rocky XXV - might not be so easy to predict the winner after all! :wink:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri May 07, 2010 9:29 am

thebish wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:
thebish wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:Watching the Election results would be like watching Rocky XXV

You know the winner before the opening credits roll
OK Caps - what will the result be then? (so you can save us all from staying up)

overall Tory majority
hung parliament with labour in second (in terms of seats)
hung parliament with labour in third (in terms of seats)
summat else

(maybe you're SirNuts supernatural Brian?)
Not sure why you chuck in 'in terms of seats' seeing as it's the only measure thats important

Makes me smile a touch that many of those wanting reform would no doubt want to chuck in a rider that the BNP aren't allowed MPs

As for the result

2 Labour
better go out and rent that Rocky XXV - might not be so easy to predict the winner after all! :wink:
Easier to find losers tho'

60 million of us :mrgreen:

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri May 07, 2010 9:32 am

CAPSLOCK wrote: As for the result

2 Labour
Is that you Lawro?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri May 07, 2010 9:46 am

Bish - will you accept a grovelling admission of mistake on the Lib Dem question?!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri May 07, 2010 9:52 am

Anyway, story of the night is clearly:

1) Despite Tory scaremongering about the causes of the worst recession since the thirties, not enough people trust them enough to be the solution. What this election most certainly isn't is '97.

2) Clearly the electorate doesn't trust any of the major parties enough, and the narrative of the evening centred around electoral reform. Nows the time to update an obsolete system.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri May 07, 2010 10:07 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Anyway, story of the night is clearly:

1) Despite Tory scaremongering about the causes of the worst recession since the thirties, not enough people trust them enough to be the solution. What this election most certainly isn't is '97.

2) Clearly the electorate doesn't trust any of the major parties enough, and the narrative of the evening centred around electoral reform. Nows the time to update an obsolete system.
Bullseye!

IMHO

The Tories shouldn't even be thinking of trying to scrape by with a minority government. Considering the mess the economy is in they should be negotiating quickly with the Lib Dems to govern as a coalition for a four year parliament. That way they can assign Osborne and Grayling to other duties (or even gardening leave). I suspect they'll put their own interests before the country's though.

Delighted to see a few pillocks getting the boot tonight - Robinson, Smith and Opik. Shame Balls and Blears didn't follow suit.