Today I'm angry about.....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Tue May 25, 2010 10:30 am

Currys.

I frickin' hate 'em.

Yesterday afternoon the vacuum cleaner decided to call it a day. So I take the wife down to the retail park to buy another. After looking in currys, comet, asda living etc. etc. the wife decided on a bagless hoover from Currys. Nice design, good quality and a very good price. Simples eh? Err no. The guy gets the boxed hoover from the storeroom and we all toddle off to the till. Marvellous.

The missus hands over the cash and waits for a receipt. Then the fun and games begin.

"Ok" says the assistant, "Can I have your details please?" I step in and say, "Why do you need her details?"

"We need them for the manufacturers warrenty"

"We're not bothered about the manufacturers warrenty, as long as we have a receipt, then we're covered by the sales of goods act and in any event a warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on"

"We still need your details"

"Why?"

The wife steps in and says, "I'll make an address up"

"You can't do that!" says the assistant.

"I know", I say, "I'll give you my old address from thirty years ago"

The shop assistant was by now panic striken.

"I'll have to get the manager"

So the wife turns around and says, "I'm not hanging around here all day waiting for the manager, I've got better things to do!"

So we left.

Walked a few yards down the road, went into Argos, bought a hoover and back home about ten mintes later.

The missus now calls Currys the Cheese Shop.

I call them wankers.

That is all.
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue May 25, 2010 10:30 am

William the White wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote: How about workers themselves. rather than their political representatives?

(Incidentally, I don't get the Twitter reference either, Bobo?)
Not sure what you mean by 'political' representatives... or 'workers themselves'... Especially in a discussion that started, at least, about trade union action in BA...

Don't think i could do much more criticism of either orthodox Labour politics or orthodox leninist ones without running out of breath... As you know, one of the main reasons I want PR is the purely selfish one of having a democratic party to the left of labour to which i could feel an allegiance...

But please elucidate - what do you mean by criticising 'workers themselves'? Their table manners? The smell of their socks? Their desire to work for a decent wage and live in a decent home? What is it you mean?

I ask sincerely...
Well Bobo asked you if 'the workers' are ever wrong and you replied that you often criticise trade unions. I'm just wondering if there's a distinction to be made between the two.

I suppose my next question is: when is a workforce wrong to try and get what it wants via blackmail and commercial terrorism?

Actually, don't bother answering because Bobo is, sadly, 100% correct in saying that these discussions don't get us anywhere. I don't think one group (BA employees) should be able to force better than the market rate for their servcies than another group doing the same job (i.e Easyjet and Ryanair employees) by strike action, but you disagree... so perhaps we'll leave it.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 25, 2010 10:51 am

InsaneApache wrote:Currys.

I frickin' hate 'em.

Yesterday afternoon the vacuum cleaner decided to call it a day. So I take the wife down to the retail park to buy another. After looking in currys, comet, asda living etc. etc. the wife decided on a bagless hoover from Currys. Nice design, good quality and a very good price. Simples eh? Err no. The guy gets the boxed hoover from the storeroom and we all toddle off to the till. Marvellous.

The missus hands over the cash and waits for a receipt. Then the fun and games begin.

"Ok" says the assistant, "Can I have your details please?" I step in and say, "Why do you need her details?"

"We're not bothered about the manufacturers warrenty, as long as we have a receipt, then we're covered by the sales of goods act and in any event a warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on"

"Why?"

So the wife turns around and says, "I'm not hanging around here all day waiting for the manager, I've got better things to do!"

So we left.

Walked a few yards down the road, went into Argos, bought a hoover and back home about ten mintes later.

I call them wankers.

That is all.
Just give 'em your fecking postcode then! They aren't allowed to use it for junkmail and all it for is either a warranty on expensive stuff or a list of other things designed to help you. Other shops use it when you take stuff back to check there is nothing dodgy going on or just to know which areas most of their customers come from so they know where to open new shops. It makes no difference to your life at all. Working in a shop made me realise how big a bunch of bastards the general public really are. People making a scene so next time they see their friends they can grumble about how such and such a shop wanted to take liberties but how they stood up and weren't cowed by big business. Well done, you massive rebel. The computer systems on the till often don't let you process this stuff without these details. It's no wonder shops 'are full of surly teenagers'. Used to do my fecking head in working on the till. They used to get the standard PR1CKS postcode which it gladly accepted (not sure why with only one number like...but....).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 25, 2010 10:55 am

people who clearly think I'm stupid....
FedEx® Claims Dept.

Data confirmation

You have a registered package. CONTENT: Bank
Draft of $890 000.00 USD in our custody. Registered by an Official of the United
Nation (Protocal and Liaison Service). Reg.# R-2267544490000.
For your information the VAT and COD have been paid. The only payment
You are to make is $258 for customs clarification Form
Contact FedEx Delivery Department Mr. Greg Silva for shipment
details Email: [email protected]
Tel: +2348071208793
You are to reconfirm your Postal address and telephone number for urgent
service:
Full Name:
Address:
City:
Postal Address:
Phone:
After confirmation of details our delivery team will give you payment details
For Customs.
Urgent respond to this mail will help us meet up with our schedule time to effect
Delivery.
Yours Faithfully,
Mrs. Jose Saldanha
©Federal Express Corporation
All rights reserved. © 1995-2010 FedEx.
1. how do you know what's in my parcel?
2. go and look up how to spell Protocol
3. why would I pay you money to deliver a package from someone else to me?
4. if you have a package addressed to me - then you can read my name and address from there
5. the body sending me close to $1,000,000 - presumably they did their homework before sending that amount of dosh
6. piss off

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 25, 2010 10:57 am

InsaneApache wrote:
see there's her mistake - announcing out loud that the address is made up! :wink:

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Tue May 25, 2010 11:02 am

Prufrock wrote:

I frickin' hate 'em.

"Why?"

So we left.

I call them wankers.

That is all.
Just give 'em your fecking postcode then! They aren't allowed to use it for junkmail and all it for is either a warranty on expensive stuff or a list of other things designed to help you. Other shops use it when you take stuff back to check there is nothing dodgy going on or just to know which areas most of their customers come from so they know where to open new shops. It makes no difference to your life at all. Working in a shop made me realise how big a bunch of bastards the general public really are. People making a scene so next time they see their friends they can grumble about how such and such a shop wanted to take liberties but how they stood up and weren't cowed by big business. Well done, you massive rebel. The computer systems on the till often don't let you process this stuff without these details. It's no wonder shops 'are full of surly teenagers'. Used to do my fecking head in working on the till. They used to get the standard PR1CKS postcode which it gladly accepted (not sure why with only one number like...but....).
Having owned two shops I'm well aware of snotty customers who 'try it on'. BTW you're wrong when you say they don't use the data, they do. They sell it to third parties who then 'phone you up just as you are starting to eat your tea whilst watching corrie. Had a similar problem with PC World a few years back and now never darken their doorstep.

If I was a shareholder, I'd sell them, quick. 8)
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 25, 2010 11:05 am

thebish wrote:people who clearly think I'm stupid....
FedEx® Claims Dept.

Data confirmation

You have a registered package. CONTENT: Bank
Draft of $890 000.00 USD in our custody. Registered by an Official of the United
Nation (Protocal and Liaison Service). Reg.# R-2267544490000.
For your information the VAT and COD have been paid. The only payment
You are to make is $258 for customs clarification Form
Contact FedEx Delivery Department Mr. Greg Silva for shipment
details Email: [email protected]
Tel:
You are to reconfirm your Postal address and telephone number for urgent
service:
Full Name:
Address:
City:
Postal Address:
Phone:
After confirmation of details our delivery team will give you payment details
For Customs.
Urgent respond to this mail will help us meet up with our schedule time to effect
Delivery.
Yours Faithfully,
Mrs. Jose Saldanha
©Federal Express Corporation
All rights reserved. © 1995-2010 FedEx.
1. how do you know what's in my parcel?
2. go and look up how to spell Protocol
3. why would I pay you money to deliver a package from someone else to me?
4. if you have a package addressed to me - then you can read my name and address from there
5. the body sending me close to $1,000,000 - presumably they did their homework before sending that amount of dosh
6. piss off
That's the thing with these email scams. Every now and then you see a scam that is very clever and would trick a lot of people, but the vast majority, in particular e-mail ones are so clearly scams. Why do they keep going round? Surely NOBODY is thick enough to fall for that?! A six figure sum, sent in a parcel?! SO what, it's either cash, which sounds viable, or a novelty cheque! I like the idea FedEx couldn't be arsed getting their own e-mail system and just have the one address, at live.com! Jeeeeeesus. What a waste of everyone's time.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 25, 2010 11:08 am

Prufrock wrote:Other shops use it when you take stuff back to check there is nothing dodgy going on or just to know which areas most of their customers come from so they know where to open new shops. It makes no difference to your life at all.
whilst I agree that cistomers can be utter arses and make the lives of innocent shop workers (whose fault it isn't) a misery. BUT I think it is legitimate to be irritated by the totally un-necessary collection of personal information in almost every aspect of life.

I think it is perfectly acceptable and legitimate to ask an organisation WHY they want your information and WHAT they will do with it.

in Insane's case - he was given a bogus answer - because he wasn't taking out an extended warranty - and a warranty is valid regardless of whether you provide an address at the till.

many internet shopping sites now ask for mobile numbers - as well as landlines - and not as an option - but as a requirement. WHY?

as for Currys in particular - Pru is right - the till operator doesn't have much of a choice in the matter - and being arsey to them is a bit of a waste of time...
What the staff are told is:

1: It's for TV licensing, when buying a TV.
2: It's so they can send you information about whateverhappens once your guarantee is up.
3: It's to give them lookup information so they can lookup your recept should you lose your old one or need it for some kind of insurance claim.

There is a data protection leaflet in each store stating in small print that they won't sell your information on ask to see this if your unsure. Also there is a no marketing button on the tills once you enter the details to prevent them sending you anything, including whateverhappens information. Which I instinctively tick even without being asked, and frequently get told off for.

Also, the tills won't allow a sale to be processed without giving the information, canceling the information simply returns the user to the previous screen for example:

Goods scanned > Total > Address information > Payment selection.

Pressing cancel on the address info returns us to total and doesn't allow us to take payment.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 25, 2010 11:17 am

InsaneApache wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

I frickin' hate 'em.

"Why?"

So we left.

I call them wankers.

That is all.
Having owned two shops I'm well aware of snotty customers who 'try it on'. BTW you're wrong when you say they don't use the data, they do. They sell it to third parties who then 'phone you up just as you are starting to eat your tea whilst watching corrie. Had a similar problem with PC World a few years back and now never darken their doorstep.

If I was a shareholder, I'd sell them, quick. 8)
We used to have to ask when I worked in JD, and I asked the area manager what it was for, and he said to prevent theft, and for their own surveys. I'm sure they aren't allowed to sell it on to third parties, without telling you they will. Which of course isn't to say they don't. Bishy was right anyway, just make one up. You'd be surprised how many folk don't actually know their postcode, so I just used to stick anything in. It used to accept weird combinations too. Stuff like ZX9. Anyway, today, I'm angry at being reminded how much I hated working in a shop with bastard customers. Knobheads shouting and screaming that they weren't allowed to keep the wooden hangers. They aren't included in the flaming price, never mind the fact we quite nicely said they could have a plastic one instead for free, you have a big shout you bastard. Or people who insist that we had to sell something at the price on the tag even if it was wrong. Even when we explained to them the law they still wouldn't have it. Or one bloke, who wanted a refund on some trainers he'd had, and worn for two weeks on holiday because they rubbed him! He claimed, and this is genuinley true, that it must be a manufacturing fault, not his own, because the same thing had happened with a previous pair. He couldn't buy shoes the right fecking size, yet he got to shout at us while we had to hold our tongue. Or the guy who brought back an absolutely filthy Italy top, and claimed we'd sold it like that! God I hate them! Not to mention an absolute massive pile of clothes outside the changing rooms. Or the folk who walked round and had to touch every fecking item. Or kids who used to think it was acceptable to come in and start chucking the balls about. Also, since when did it become acceptable to walk around shops eating and drinking?

AAAAAAARGHHHHH!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 25, 2010 11:20 am

Prufrock wrote: Just give 'em your fecking postcode then! They aren't allowed to use it for junkmail

that's not what Currys think...

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Data Protection
If we take your name, address and other details, they will be held on a computer to process your purchase, provide after sales service and to maintain guarantee records.

We would like to send you details of product service agreements or insurances, other products and services, and information which we believe will be of interestautolinker.com autolinking image to you from currys and other companies within the DSGi group of which currys is a part. We would also like to pass your details to other organisations approved by us which can offer products and services likely to be of interest to you. You may be contacted by post, e-mail, telephone, SMS or other such means as we regard as appropriate including new technology.

If you do not wish to recieve information about other products and services please inform the cashier when you are asked for your details.

BUSINESS NAMES ACT 1985
This business is operated by DSG Retail Limited.
Registered in England Number 504877.
Registered office Maylands Avenue,
Hemel Hempstead, Herts, HP2 7TG.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 25, 2010 11:26 am

thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote: Just give 'em your fecking postcode then! They aren't allowed to use it for junkmail

that's not what Currys think...

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Data Protection
If we take your name, address and other details, they will be held on a computer to process your purchase, provide after sales service and to maintain guarantee records.

We would like to send you details of product service agreements or insurances, other products and services, and information which we believe will be of interestautolinker.com autolinking image to you from currys and other companies within the DSGi group of which currys is a part. We would also like to pass your details to other organisations approved by us which can offer products and services likely to be of interest to you. You may be contacted by post, e-mail, telephone, SMS or other such means as we regard as appropriate including new technology.

If you do not wish to recieve information about other products and services please inform the cashier when you are asked for your details.

BUSINESS NAMES ACT 1985
This business is operated by DSG Retail Limited.
Registered in England Number 504877.
Registered office Maylands Avenue,
Hemel Hempstead, Herts, HP2 7TG.
Oh right, scrap all that then, the bastards. That's ridiculous. Especially when they make it so you can't take a transaction without the details without the manager's override. Fair enough then Insane, just remember it isn't yon cashiers fault. Though as said it is probably easier just to make one up.

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Tue May 25, 2010 11:30 am

Or people who insist that we had to sell something at the price on the tag even if it was wrong. Even when we explained to them the law they still wouldn't have it.
You're not up to speed on retail law are you? The pricetag on the item is an invitation to treat. It only suggests that you may like to purchase the item at that price. That's why I always haggle! :wink:

Oh and thanks Bish for posting that. Bless you. :D

Also I was very, very angry that ther was a JD store next door. Bastards. :twisted:

:lmfao:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 25, 2010 11:33 am

InsaneApache wrote:
Or people who insist that we had to sell something at the price on the tag even if it was wrong. Even when we explained to them the law they still wouldn't have it.
You're not up to speed on retail law are you? The pricetag on the item is an invitation to treat. It only suggests that you may like to purchase the item at that price. That's why I always haggle! :wink:

Also I was very, very angry that ther was a JD store next door. Bastards. :twisted:

the real issue here is...

why did you have to take the missus to buy a new hoover? Is this the Insane version of a treat for the missus? if not - why can't she go out and buy her own fecking hoover? :wink:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 25, 2010 11:35 am

Prufrock wrote:We used to have to ask when I worked in JD, and I asked the area manager what it was for, and he said to prevent theft, and for their own surveys. I'm sure they aren't allowed to sell it on to third parties, without telling you they will. Which of course isn't to say they don't. Bishy was right anyway, just make one up. You'd be surprised how many folk don't actually know their postcode, so I just used to stick anything in. It used to accept weird combinations too. Stuff like ZX9. Anyway, today, I'm angry at being reminded how much I hated working in a shop with bastard customers. Knobheads shouting and screaming that they weren't allowed to keep the wooden hangers. They aren't included in the flaming price, never mind the fact we quite nicely said they could have a plastic one instead for free, you have a big shout you bastard. Or people who insist that we had to sell something at the price on the tag even if it was wrong. Even when we explained to them the law they still wouldn't have it. Or one bloke, who wanted a refund on some trainers he'd had, and worn for two weeks on holiday because they rubbed him! He claimed, and this is genuinley true, that it must be a manufacturing fault, not his own, because the same thing had happened with a previous pair. He couldn't buy shoes the right fecking size, yet he got to shout at us while we had to hold our tongue. Or the guy who brought back an absolutely filthy Italy top, and claimed we'd sold it like that! God I hate them! Not to mention an absolute massive pile of clothes outside the changing rooms. Or the folk who walked round and had to touch every fecking item. Or kids who used to think it was acceptable to come in and start chucking the balls about. Also, since when did it become acceptable to walk around shops eating and drinking?

AAAAAAARGHHHHH!
B-Hell, Pru.

Maybe shop assisting's not for you. I'm sure there used to be this addage about customers & being right, or something !! :?

(this is a joke, btw, as I am aware of the foibles of customer relations).

That said, shop-assistants continuing their own little conversations across you as they mindlessly scan the items is a growing trend. I've taken to asking them not to, I thought one kid in Tesco was going to knife me when I raised it with him. You should have seen his face !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 25, 2010 11:41 am

[quote="thebish]
the real issue here is...

why did you have to take the missus to buy a new hoover? Is this the Insane version of a treat for the missus? if not - why can't she go out and buy her own fecking hoover? :wink:[/quote]

She probably asked him for something that goes with a bag and a belt.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 25, 2010 11:43 am

InsaneApache wrote:

Eh? Where did I say it wasn't? You are welcome to haggle, but we wouldn't have had to sell you the item. What I am getting at is people who find something the shop sells at £34.99 for instance, marked wrongly by accident at £29.99. Folk will not have it that we don't have to sell it at £29.99. Legally, we can either sell it at that price, or withdraw the item (not sure if it the individual item, or the whole line) for 24 hours and reprice it. Obviously nobody ever did do the withdrawal thing. If it was a couple of quid wrong we'd sell it to them at the lower price, if not we'd change it and put it straight back, rebels that we were.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 25, 2010 11:46 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Prufrock wrote:We used to have to ask when I worked in JD, and I asked the area manager what it was for, and he said to prevent theft, and for their own surveys. I'm sure they aren't allowed to sell it on to third parties, without telling you they will. Which of course isn't to say they don't. Bishy was right anyway, just make one up. You'd be surprised how many folk don't actually know their postcode, so I just used to stick anything in. It used to accept weird combinations too. Stuff like ZX9. Anyway, today, I'm angry at being reminded how much I hated working in a shop with bastard customers. Knobheads shouting and screaming that they weren't allowed to keep the wooden hangers. They aren't included in the flaming price, never mind the fact we quite nicely said they could have a plastic one instead for free, you have a big shout you bastard. Or people who insist that we had to sell something at the price on the tag even if it was wrong. Even when we explained to them the law they still wouldn't have it. Or one bloke, who wanted a refund on some trainers he'd had, and worn for two weeks on holiday because they rubbed him! He claimed, and this is genuinley true, that it must be a manufacturing fault, not his own, because the same thing had happened with a previous pair. He couldn't buy shoes the right fecking size, yet he got to shout at us while we had to hold our tongue. Or the guy who brought back an absolutely filthy Italy top, and claimed we'd sold it like that! God I hate them! Not to mention an absolute massive pile of clothes outside the changing rooms. Or the folk who walked round and had to touch every fecking item. Or kids who used to think it was acceptable to come in and start chucking the balls about. Also, since when did it become acceptable to walk around shops eating and drinking?

AAAAAAARGHHHHH!
B-Hell, Pru.

Maybe shop assisting's not for you. I'm sure there used to be this addage about customers & being right, or something !! :?

(this is a joke, btw, as I am aware of the foibles of customer relations).

That said, shop-assistants continuing their own little conversations across you as they mindlessly scan the items is a growing trend. I've taken to asking them not to, I thought one kid in Tesco was going to knife me when I raised it with him. You should have seen his face !!
But they aren't! They're idiots. Well loads of them are anyway. I hated it. Shit money to get shat on by the public.

Of course, some shop assistants are in fact surly teenagers, but I think it is unfairly represented as being a larger proportion than is reality. I think most kids who have the wherewithal at 16/17 to get a weekend job tend to be the more well adjusted ones. As for me, I was always rays of sunshine and light, as I'm sure you can imagine :D

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Tue May 25, 2010 11:47 am

Oh I know that you're not legally compelled to sell any item but it is a good business model to do so. :D

As for the missus, it wasn't an invitation to treat or a request. It was an order. I know my place. :oops:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 25, 2010 11:53 am

InsaneApache wrote:Oh I know that you're not legally compelled to sell any item but it is a good business model to do so. :D

As for the missus, it wasn't an invitation to treat or a request. It was an order. I know my place. :oops:
Well that depends, if it's been accidentally marked as £3.499 as happened on more than one occasion, it's probably best not doing :D And the cheek of folk trying to get it for £3.50! I wanted to tell them we'd sell it them if they paid with a 49.9 pence coin.

I'm still astounded they can get away with using your details like that. Not only that, I'm angry I was used as a tool to trick people when management told me we couldn't use their details. I was a tool of deception! or just a tool

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 25, 2010 12:34 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote: the real issue here is...

why did you have to take the missus to buy a new hoover? Is this the Insane version of a treat for the missus? if not - why can't she go out and buy her own fecking hoover? :wink:
She probably asked him for something that goes with a bag and a belt.

I refer the honourable gentleman to the joke made my KB on this board some weeks ago...

and also to the fact that Insane and mrs Insane chose a bagless model... :wink: