What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:44 am

William the White wrote:Watched The Baader Meinhoff Complex which I thought was excellent. You sure needed quick vision to keep up with the sub titles, though - or fluent German. I thought it did a good job in getting into the minds of the anarcho- terrorists without makiing phoney heroes of them.

Followed that with Guillermo Toro's The Devil's Backbone which i thought over-rated (I thought his Pan's Labyrinth also over-rated - on here, and in the press. with those two and The Orphanage it's clear that toro has an obsession with childhood and ghosts/spirits. And doesn't find it easy to bring them into the realist stories that the first two films have as their dramtic premise. Kept me engaged - not much more than that.

I'm a recent convert to Lovefilm... It's working for me... :D
He's producing 'The Hobbit' Will, you may be onto something here. :mrgreen:

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:03 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
William the White wrote: Followed that with Guillermo Toro's The Devil's Backbone which i thought over-rated (I thought his Pan's Labyrinth
No, he isn't. Del Toro was the Director but resigned in May this year and Peter Jackson stepped up from Producer to Director. Del Toro still has some minor involvement with the script writing though.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:06 am

Just watched the death of mr. larescu (spelling), Baaria, and the girl with the dragon tattoo.

Really enjoyed the Girl with the Dragon Tatto and I'm sure many of you have already seen, The Death of Mr. Larescu is a Romanian film and has to be one of the darkest comedies I have every seen. Almost too dark for me who quite likes that genre. Baaria was well over rated. Beautifully filmed but didn't like how he jumped his way through time. Tried to cover too much and ended up covering almost nothing as each period in his life was more like a sound byte and thus didn't say much other than showing the way of life in a Sicilan village during the 20th century.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:00 pm

clapton is god wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
William the White wrote: Followed that with Guillermo Toro's The Devil's Backbone which i thought over-rated (I thought his Pan's Labyrinth
No, he isn't. Del Toro was the Director but resigned in May this year and Peter Jackson stepped up from Producer to Director. Del Toro still has some minor involvement with the script writing though.
Oh. Okay. Thanks.

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:56 pm

William the White wrote:Watched The Baader Meinhoff Complex which I thought was excellent. You sure needed quick vision to keep up with the sub titles, though - or fluent German. I thought it did a good job in getting into the minds of the anarcho- terrorists without makiing phoney heroes of them.
Really enjoyed that too, it's due another watch soon I think. Agree with you on the subtitles, and the colour of them doesnt help at some points either they're barely visible!

I'd gladly be taken hostage by a few of the women playing the terrorists in it too, oh yes...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:45 pm

Last of the Mohicans, Channel 5, 9-0'clock. Seen it so many times I could play a part in it. Natty Bumpo then, cos he ends up with Madelaine Stowe. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:52 pm

it was our regular family "movie-night" tonight... so we watched "The One"
A superhuman criminal named Yu-Law, once a member of the organization policing interdimensional travel (via detecting wormhole openings, which can be predicted like the weather), seeks to hunt down and kill variations of himself in alternate universes to absorb a common life force that connects them all. By killing his other selves, (becoming the last version of himself) and absorbing their power, he thinks he will become a god.

The only one who can stop him is the last of his alternate selves (MVC: MultiVerse Counterpart), Gabriel Law, who works in the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department who was unaware of the multiverse. In the attempt to kill Law, Yu-Law starts a fight where he is hiding in an airshaft. After shooting where they believed he was hiding, the Sheriff's Department attempts to move in, but Yu-Law bursts through the metal and takes out the entire team, single handedly. He then has to flee on foot when more troops move in. He is seen running down the streets from the police. In the end, Law was the only one who could keep up with him, not to mention barely jumping the tall fence. Law then sees Yu-Law who is identical to him in appearance. Law is assisted by a member of the Multiverse Authority that Yu-Law once worked for, with the concern that if only one version of Yu-Law is left there will be catastrophic results for the entire multiverse. Yu-Law murders Gabriel's wife, T. K. and frames him for the murder. The film climaxes after an epic battle between Gabriel and Yu-Law, with both of them being transported back to Alpha Universe, along with MVA agent Funsch. Yu-Law is transported to a prison colony universe (where he was to be sent in the beginning of the film) after attempting to switch places with Law. The MVA then prepares to send Gabriel back to his own universe where he will be arrested and put in prison, but Agent Funsch against orders from his superiors, instead sends him to a utopia-like universe where Los Angeles is hailed as "America's Cleanest City" and he ends up in the same situation where he met his wife in his home universe. Meanwhile, Yu-Law ends up in a prison planet, and immediately begins fighting all the inmates.
I tell you all this so you won't have to watch it!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:45 pm

This Is England, ready for tomorrow

Soundtrack heaven

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:21 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:This Is England, ready for tomorrow

Soundtrack heaven
Quality. looking forward to '86!

I really dislike that Thomas Turgoose tho, cant understand why Meadows sticks with him, he is really annoying. would be better off with the kid who played knock knock in 'Romeo Brass' he was quality, and funny but has never done anything since? apparently nobody liked him on set.

Anyone watch 'Him & Her'? new comedy on BBC3 last night, was pretty good!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:59 am

Stephen Graham - couldn't see where I'd seen him recently so had to IMDB him

Billy Bremner!!!!!

Anyway, a little quiz

Its only a couple of weeks away now....you know you'll be watching it

What is it

ps my downloading fingers are twitching

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:27 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:Stephen Graham - couldn't see where I'd seen him recently so had to IMDB him

Billy Bremner!!!!!

Anyway, a little quiz

What is it

ps my downloading fingers are twitching
yeah Stephen Graham is a brilliant actor. seen him in loads of things, Damned United, Tommy in Snatch, was in Gangs in New York, Band of Brothers – my favourite tho was his episode of 'The Street'! was also happy to hear he is gonna be in the new Boardwalk Empire, HBO’s new Sopranos type thingy! I actually met him once in Liverpool, I was absolutely scoonered and just kept asking him “d’ya like dags?” … I think I got on his nerves!

Hmmm, stuck on the quiz… was gonna say Inbetweeners, but that’s only one week away? Dunno, give us a clue?

hang on, did i answer my own question... Boardwalk?

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:05 am

You did

Aye, Band of Brothers, too

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:34 pm

Soundtrack heaven
Looking forward to that tonight. Very much. :D

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:47 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote: Anyway, a little quiz

What is it
It's this, isn't it?!

:vomit: -------------------------------------------------------------^

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:06 pm

William the White wrote:

Soundtrack heaven
wasnt all that great was it.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:12 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:
William the White wrote:

Soundtrack heaven
wasnt all that great was it.
I get the feeling it'll pick up. The characters are just reminding us who they are. Thought the bully was a bit 'Rik Mayall', though.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:09 pm

so do i. i didnt hate it, but that bully scene was a bit dodgy. not sure what was going with that bit?

be better when Combo turns up!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:30 pm

Is Paddy having a big part?

nb did you see the trailer for the Shane Meadows season

Mini Shane Meadows season on Film4 in September

To coincide with the arrival of This Is England '86 on Channel 4 in September, Film4 are putting on two nights of Meadows treats.... which includes a couple of rarities!

On Wednesday the 8th of Septmember Film4 is screening:
Once Upon a Time in the Midlands
Small Time
Where's The Money, Ronnie? (short film)

On Thursday the 9th of September Film4 is screening:
Dead Man's Shoes
...and special rarity:
Shane's World - Shane's low budget film making masterclass, featuring short films and top tips!

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:41 pm

No Romeo Brass? That's a piss take.

Do well to find a better film than Dead Mans Shoes tho, but OUATITM isn't the best.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:48 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:so do i. i didnt hate it, but that bully scene was a bit dodgy. not sure what was going with that bit?

be better when Combo turns up!

I have this recorded... so - is it worth watching??