whips and jockeys...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

whips and jockeys...

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:06 pm

I heard "top jockey" Richard Hughes on t'radio today ranting about the unfairness of his ban...

he said summat like:
"how many people out there have been caught time and time again by the same speed camera - you know it's there but you always speed past it and think - oh no!"
well - speaking for myself - never! I have NEVER been more than once by the same speed camera - never! Am I unique - or does it just prove how stupid jockeys (or Richard Hughes?) are (is?)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: whips and jockeys...

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:22 pm

It's a debate that intrigues me is this.

I have no interest in horse racing. Whipping an animal to go quicker just strikes me as cruelty yet I hear on R5 today that the jockeys are talking of going on strike and folk like me just "don't understand horse racing". This is certainly true, but I'm sure I recgonise cruelty when I see it.

Any racing fans on here enlighten me on the arguments for the whip? :conf:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:24 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:It's a debate that intrigues me is this.

I have no interest in horse racing. Whipping an animal to go quicker just strikes me as cruelty yet I hear on R5 today that the jockeys are talking of going on strike and folk like me just "don't understand horse racing". This is certainly true, but I'm sure I recgonise cruelty when I see it.

Any racing fans on here enlighten me on the arguments for the whip? :conf:
it puzzles me... what I don't get is that all the jockeys say the whips don't hurt the horse because they are "air-cushioned"... but they say the whips "encourage" the horse... how does a non-hurting whip "encourage" a horse to run faster? I could understand "OK stop hitting me, that hurts! I'll run faster!" - but not "I can't really feel anything - I'll run faster."

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:28 pm

Never been caught by the same camera either, I know its there I slow down.

Don't understand horse racing, but I'm guessing whipping the horse would make it try to go faster.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:31 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:Never been caught by the same camera either, I know its there I slow down.

Don't understand horse racing, but I'm guessing whipping the horse would make it try to go faster.

yeah - but if, as they claim, the whip doesn't hurt - why would the horse go faster?

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:38 pm

thebish wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:Never been caught by the same camera either, I know its there I slow down.

yeah - but if, as they claim, the whip doesn't hurt - why would the horse go faster?
If it doesn't hurt, why the restrictions? It has to hurt, hence it tries to run faster.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:36 pm

Imagine you're a horse. Somebody bungs a steel bridle in your mouth to make you do as you're told or you'll hurt your mouth, digs spurs in your flanks to make you run, and hits you with a whip if you're not going fast enough. Doesn't hurt because, being a horse, you can't tell anybody it does.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:42 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Imagine you're a horse. Somebody bungs a steel bridle in your mouth to make you do as you're told or you'll hurt your mouth, digs spurs in your flanks to make you run, and hits you with a whip if you're not going fast enough. Doesn't hurt because, being a horse, you can't tell anybody it does.
So that's why the long faces? (Yes, I'm aware that was apalling).

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:47 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Imagine you're a horse. Somebody bungs a steel bridle in your mouth to make you do as you're told or you'll hurt your mouth, digs spurs in your flanks to make you run, and hits you with a whip if you're not going fast enough. Doesn't hurt because, being a horse, you can't tell anybody it does.
Neigh. :wink:

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:50 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Neigh. :wink:
:D

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:32 am

Come on, there's gambling industry to support...

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:11 am

Aren't you the fella who wanted to keep mines open just to maintain employment?

Anyway, if these jockeys are so thick they can't avoid a ban, thats their problem

FWIW, the penalties want rethinking

Just disqualify the horse
Sto ut Serviam

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:24 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:Aren't you the fella who wanted to keep mines open just to maintain employment?

Mark Twain view: " A mine is just a hole in the ground with a fool at the bottom and a crook at the top".

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:44 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:Aren't you the fella who wanted to keep mines open just to maintain employment?

Mark Twain view: " A mine is just a hole in the ground with a fool at the bottom and a crook at the top".
Mark Twain was sometimes half right...

CAPS we are importing coal...

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:11 pm

We import horses too
Sto ut Serviam