Today I'm angry about.....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:38 pm

two things today...

the phrase "it's a big ask" - it's getting annoying now. "ask" is not a noun and shouldn't be made into one.

the irritating trend for interviewees starting all their answers with the word "so". STOP. IT. NOW!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:40 pm

thebish wrote:two things today...

the phrase "it's a big ask" - it's getting annoying now. "ask" is not a noun and shouldn't be made into one.

the irritating trend for interviewees starting all their answers with the word "so". STOP. IT. NOW!
"Can I get......." Annoys me.

I always start presentations with "So" :oops:
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:44 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

:whack: 8)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:54 pm

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

:whack: 8)
:D

Talking of words becoming nouns

"So, ;) what is it that you do here"? "I'm a Creative". "Are you now?! A creative what"? "No, no. I'm a Creative". "You're a pretentious todger - that's what you are". :whack:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:58 pm

Kids saying " I need a drink/biscuit etc". Always used to be " Please can I/may I have a drink"
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:01 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Kids saying " I need a drink/biscuit etc". Always used to be " Please can I/may I have a drink"

to which the beadle responded... "More?? MORE??? MORE????" :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:08 pm

The absolute worst phrase in my experience is when somebody says "we need to think outside the box on this".

It sends shivers down my spine. I don't mind it in an email or written. Its just when someone blurts it out in conversation, because it always means said person hasn't got a clue about what to do, and goes nuclear with the get out of jail phrase to make it sound like they're making a contribution when they're really not!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:The absolute worst phrase in my experience is when somebody says "we need to think outside the box on this".

It sends shivers down my spine. I don't mind it in an email or written. Its just when someone blurts it out in conversation, because it always means said person hasn't got a clue about what to do, and goes nuclear with the get out of jail phrase to make it sound like they're making a contribution when they're really not!
I thought that had now morphed into "blue sky thinking".... I thought "outside the box" was only used tongue-in-cheek nowadays! heaven help us if it isn't!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:The absolute worst phrase in my experience is when somebody says "we need to think outside the box on this".

Ah yes. See also - joined-up thinking! :whack:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:26 pm

Yes Bish and Bruce, you are right "blue sky thinking" and "joined up thinking" are also phrases from hell.

All used when said person has absolutely no clue what to do in reality.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:43 pm

"Don't go there", is another one that I find particularly annoying.

Next week I'll be surrounded by Yanks shouting "Get in the hole" as soon as someone's played their fecking tee shot! :whack:

Oh, and "It's all good". No, it clearly isn't, you nice person!

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Being rear ended by a stupid arse in an articulated lorry who could not see stopped traffic!

Car's a bit of a mess and sick of it being hit, scraped etc, had more accidents in this one in 18months than I ever had before, sure dam thing is cursed!

Oh I'm ok (physically anyway)
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:"Don't go there", is another one that I find particularly annoying.Next week I'll be surrounded by Yanks shouting "Get in the hole" as soon as someone's played their fecking tee shot! :whack:

Oh, and "It's all good". No, it clearly isn't, you tw*t!
Is always said by people, who then immediately after saying it "do go there".

:whack:

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:05 pm

Raven wrote:Being rear ended by a stupid arse in an articulated lorry who could not see stopped traffic!

Car's a bit of a mess and sick of it being hit, scraped etc, had more accidents in this one in 18months than I ever had before, sure dam thing is cursed!

Glad you're OK. Just wondered what colour the car is? I'm asking because a mate of mine had a lot of accidents in his previous car - it was a metallic charcoal grey. After about his sixth accident (all fairly minor, but one that was almost a write off) he traded it in for the same make and model but a wildly different colour - some kind of metallic orange colour - and he's had it for two years without a single accident. All the accidents in his previous car were down to other drivers (or so he claims and I've no reason to disbelieve him) and he has a theory that they occurred because his car was basically tarmac coloured and blended into the background too much.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:09 pm

Well, my mum claims that bottle green cars are more likely to end up in accidents. She was almost at the point of saying I-told-you-so when I wrote one off in Islington some years ago!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:12 pm

The Axman wrote:
Raven wrote:Being rear ended by a stupid arse in an articulated lorry who could not see stopped traffic!

Glad you're OK. Just wondered what colour the car is? I'm asking because a mate of mine had a lot of accidents in his previous car - it was a metallic charcoal grey. After about his sixth accident (all fairly minor, but one that was almost a write off) he traded it in for the same make and model but a wildly different colour - some kind of metallic orange colour - and he's had it for two years without a single accident. All the accidents in his previous car were down to other drivers (or so he claims and I've no reason to disbelieve him) and he has a theory that they occurred because his car was basically tarmac coloured and blended into the background too much.

it seems there is much anecdotal evidence on this on the internet - but two scientific studies have proved inconclusive...

an interesting summary here:

http://www.aaafoundation.org/pdf/CarColorAndSafety.pdf

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:18 pm

Aye. A mate of mine is a statistician and he's done some work for Dept of Transport back in the 90s. I'm sure he wrote a paper about black cars vs white cars in night accident data - I'll ask him tonight if it's published.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:28 pm

The Axman wrote:

In the late 1950s my mother had a light grey Lea Francis sporty model. It was hit twice within a year by motorists (one car, one motor cycle) who claimed not to have seen it. In sixty years of driving other coloured vehicles she was never in an accident. So, I'll buy your mate's theory, Ax. Are we allowed to say 'I'll buy' or does that annoy people? Good luck, Raven - you certainly don't need more gloom! :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:49 pm

People who eat too loudly. Does my head in. Shut your mouth and get some manners

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:50 pm

jimbo wrote:People who eat too loudly. Does my head in. Shut your mouth and get some manners
AMEN!! :pissed: