The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Dr.Karl » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:09 pm

I'm glad I found this thread. I completed the training program by Laura a few weeks back and did quite comfortably at the time. Then didn't go for a jog for a couple of weeks. My plan was to run 30 mins again today but I just gave up after 20, I wasn't tired or anything. Didn't fee worn out when I stopped, just gave up. It seemed a more mental block than anything. Has anyone else experienced this?
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:13 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:I'm glad I found this thread. I completed the training program by Laura a few weeks back and did quite comfortably at the time. Then didn't go for a jog for a couple of weeks. My plan was to run 30 mins again today but I just gave up after 20, I wasn't tired or anything. Didn't fee worn out when I stopped, just gave up. It seemed a more mental block than anything. Has anyone else experienced this?

oh yeah!! i remember warning bruce about this... the sheer boredom of running for half an hour is a bigger obstacle than "being able" to do it!!

my missus gets over this by listening to podcasts of interesting r4 programmes to occupy her mind!

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:14 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:I'm glad I found this thread. I completed the training program by Laura a few weeks back and did quite comfortably at the time. Then didn't go for a jog for a couple of weeks. My plan was to run 30 mins again today but I just gave up after 20, I wasn't tired or anything. Didn't fee worn out when I stopped, just gave up. It seemed a more mental block than anything. Has anyone else experienced this?
Although injured atm I can sympathise Dr. K - some days it would seem a lot easier mentally than others to complete the same distance.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:03 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
Although injured atm I can sympathise Dr. K - some days it would seem a lot easier mentally than others to complete the same distance.
Yes - i have had this issue recently. I find it easier when i'm in the groove and running regularly. I stopped a while back and started again and the last 2 weeks have been tough mentally and physically and i didn't even go that far!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:25 am

Nope! Happy to help. :mrgreen:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:53 am

Some thoughts...

Try running with a friend to chat to? Listening to music or the radio? Join an athletics club? Set yourself a different goal to work towards? Mix up your training so it's not just a straight run (fartlek or reps up hills etc - an athletics club would do this with you) Park run every Saturday where you'd be embarrassed if you stopped before you finished the 5km?!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:08 am

Gooner Girl wrote:Yes - i have had this issue recently. I find it easier when i'm in the groove and running regularly. I stopped a while back and started again and the last 2 weeks have been tough mentally and physically and i didn't even go that far!
I'm sure I'd never get bored once I was in your groove
Sto ut Serviam

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:09 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
There's plenty o' flat around me and thee, lad. Is your dad still doing a bit?
Hah yep well thats where i went last few times...left out my street, left down longsight lane, left onto Hough Fold Way, past your road, left onto Patterdale, left onto longsight and then back home :)

My dad loves his running, still does his 4/5 miles before work then 10 miles on a sunday !
Bryngs?
Sto ut Serviam

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:11 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:Yes - i have had this issue recently. I find it easier when i'm in the groove and running regularly. I stopped a while back and started again and the last 2 weeks have been tough mentally and physically and i didn't even go that far!

careful! Worthy will be adding you to the Carry-On list!!

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:02 pm

thebish wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:

CAPSLOCK = Kenneth Williams?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:04 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
thebish wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:

CAPSLOCK = Kenneth Williams?
I think CAPS is more likely to be the special guest star Avid Merrion....

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:57 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
Shame you'll never have the opportunity to find out eh?! Best stick with running as a form of exercise i think. ;)

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:19 pm

After taking inspiration from you lot on here, i've finally decided to get off my arse and do something about my thickening waistline and general health. Did 2/3 laps (1 mile-ish) of the estate t'other week, a few days apart. Didn't do anything for a while, but have now just jumped in at the deep end.

Wearing inappropriate footwear and probably clothing too, I have just run/walked/run/walked ok mostly walking, from Brandlesholme - Greenmount - Tottington - Brandlesholme. A total distance in the region of 5.5 miles and am now thoroughly fecked. Totally stupid, I know but still rewarding. My intention is to get out more often starting from next week, get kitted out properly and get myself to a state whereby I can resume my football 'career'. :wink: Wish me luck!

Off for a few stretches and a bath if I can get up out of my seat.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:After taking inspiration from you lot on here, i've finally decided to get off my arse and do something about my thickening waistline and general health. Did 2/3 laps (1 mile-ish) of the estate t'other week, a few days apart. Didn't do anything for a while, but have now just jumped in at the deep end.

Wearing inappropriate footwear and probably clothing too, I have just run/walked/run/walked ok mostly walking, from Brandlesholme - Greenmount - Tottington - Brandlesholme. A total distance in the region of 5.5 miles and am now thoroughly fecked. Totally stupid, I know but still rewarding. My intention is to get out more often starting from next week, get kitted out properly and get myself to a state whereby I can resume my football 'career'. :wink: Wish me luck!

Well done! Why don't you look out for a local athletics club to join to help with your training

(The posh athletics words for what you just did are 'fartlek training' and its not a bad way to start at all!)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:After taking inspiration from you lot on here, i've finally decided to get off my arse and do something about my thickening waistline and general health. Did 2/3 laps (1 mile-ish) of the estate t'other week, a few days apart. Didn't do anything for a while, but have now just jumped in at the deep end.

Well done BP. Do that a couple more times and before you know it, you'll be running the lot :oyea:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:21 pm

Ran home from work today.

Turns out 18 miles is quite far.

It hurt. But I feel fantastic, and happier about marathoning than I was yesterday.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:27 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:

Well done! Why don't you look out for a local athletics club to join to help with your training

(The posh athletics words for what you just did are 'fartlek training' and its not a bad way to start at all!)
Thanks. Dunno about fartlek, but I certainly feel like an old fart after that.

Not sure I have the time to commit to an athletics club just at the moment, as i'm studying 2 accountancy modules in the evenings and weekends. Hoping to take advantage of the lighter evenings by studying then running or vice versa. Will see how it goes.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:46 pm

Well done BP that's fantastic. Sort yourself out with some decent shoes if you do nowt else. Also (and this applies to you all) I have recently discovered the 'delight' of a cold bath after a long run. Seriously it takes the pain and tiredness right out of the legs. 5 minutes in the bath and then a warm shower to take the cold away. Fantastic!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:53 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:

Well done BP that's fantastic. Sort yourself out with some decent shoes if you do nowt else. Also (and this applies to you all) I have recently discovered the 'delight' of a cold bath after a long run. Seriously it takes the pain and tiredness right out of the legs. 5 minutes in the bath and then a warm shower to take the cold away. Fantastic!
I'll take your word for it and stick to my nice warm ones with lots of bubbles, good book and a cup of tea, thanks ;) Ahhh, bliss!

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:56 pm

Good man :) how did you feel afterwards?

Keep it going! :D
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."