The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by thebish » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:59 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
I'll take your word for it and stick to my nice warm ones with lots of bubbles, good book and a cup of tea, thanks ;) Ahhh, bliss!
and a cat...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:02 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote: Well done BP that's fantastic. Sort yourself out with some decent shoes if you do nowt else. Also (and this applies to you all) I have recently discovered the 'delight' of a cold bath after a long run. Seriously it takes the pain and tiredness right out of the legs. 5 minutes in the bath and then a warm shower to take the cold away. Fantastic!

http://twicsy.com/i/ZEqJs

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:04 pm

thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
I'll take your word for it and stick to my nice warm ones with lots of bubbles, good book and a cup of tea, thanks ;) Ahhh, bliss!
and a cat...
Ahhh yes, and Alfie. He does sometimes destroy the ambience it has to be said...

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:05 pm

thebish wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote: Well done BP that's fantastic. Sort yourself out with some decent shoes if you do nowt else. Also (and this applies to you all) I have recently discovered the 'delight' of a cold bath after a long run. Seriously it takes the pain and tiredness right out of the legs. 5 minutes in the bath and then a warm shower to take the cold away. Fantastic!

His pants are quite see-through aren't they?! :D

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:06 pm

We did have a discussion about this ice/cold bath thing a little while back - i believe, on this thread. Guess GtE's memory is going given he's a bit of an old gimmer these days ;)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:14 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
thebish wrote:

His pants are quite see-through aren't they?! :D
only if you stare really closely I imagine!! :roll:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:25 pm

Verbal wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:After taking inspiration from you lot on here, i've finally decided to get off my arse and do something about my thickening waistline and general health. Did 2/3 laps (1 mile-ish) of the estate t'other week, a few days apart. Didn't do anything for a while, but have now just jumped in at the deep end.

Wearing inappropriate footwear and probably clothing too, I have just run/walked/run/walked ok mostly walking, from Brandlesholme - Greenmount - Tottington - Brandlesholme. A total distance in the region of 5.5 miles and am now thoroughly fecked. Totally stupid, I know but still rewarding. My intention is to get out more often starting from next week, get kitted out properly and get myself to a state whereby I can resume my football 'career'. :wink: Wish me luck!

Off for a few stretches and a bath if I can get up out of my seat.
Good man :) how did you feel afterwards?

Keep it going! :D
Knackered and aching, but chuffed that I set myself the task this morning and followed it through, as procrastination is my middle name. 8) On reflection it was probably about 40% running and 60% walking but I don't really care at the moment.

Calves are really tight, but I think that's more down to the type of shoes worn as much as anything else.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:34 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:After taking inspiration from you lot on here, i've finally decided to get off my arse and do something about my thickening waistline and general health. Did 2/3 laps (1 mile-ish) of the estate t'other week, a few days apart. Didn't do anything for a while, but have now just jumped in at the deep end.

Wearing inappropriate footwear and probably clothing too, I have just run/walked/run/walked ok mostly walking, from Brandlesholme - Greenmount - Tottington - Brandlesholme. A total distance in the region of 5.5 miles and am now thoroughly fecked. Totally stupid, I know but still rewarding. My intention is to get out more often starting from next week, get kitted out properly and get myself to a state whereby I can resume my football 'career'. :wink: Wish me luck!

Off for a few stretches and a bath if I can get up out of my seat.
Well done BP that's fantastic. Sort yourself out with some decent shoes if you do nowt else. Also (and this applies to you all) I have recently discovered the 'delight' of a cold bath after a long run. Seriously it takes the pain and tiredness right out of the legs. 5 minutes in the bath and then a warm shower to take the cold away. Fantastic!
Cheers. Will give the cold bath a go next time as my calves are really tight.

Does anyone have any tips on breathing, other than the obvious in/out? I have a phobia that i'm not doing it properly whilst running and not taking onboard enough oxygen thus tiring my body out quicker than I might otherwise do. Does that make sense? :?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:57 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote: Does anyone have any tips on breathing, other than the obvious in/out? I have a phobia that i'm not doing it properly whilst running and not taking onboard enough oxygen thus tiring my body out quicker than I might otherwise do. Does that make sense? :?
trick is to breath IN through your mouth and OUT through your arse... (adds a jet-propulsion effect, I find)

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:21 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
There's plenty o' flat around me and thee, lad. Is your dad still doing a bit?
Hah yep well thats where i went last few times...left out my street, left down longsight lane, left onto Hough Fold Way, past your road, left onto Patterdale, left onto longsight and then back home :)

My dad loves his running, still does his 4/5 miles before work then 10 miles on a sunday !
Bryngs?
na im not that rich! bit further down, southgate, behind the old walsh's institute...although my boss lives on Bryngs, so i do get to see how the other half live when i pick him up sometimes :)

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:17 pm

Mate lives at the house across the road with the Alfa :)

Did down to Longsight Park and back at half 9 this morning
Sto ut Serviam

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:01 pm

Went orienteering for the first time since school this morning. Ridiculously it was set in http://m.westfieldstratfordcity.com/eve ... il-173.htm Westfield Shopping Centre Loved it.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:13 pm

I'm now suffering after my exertions of Friday. My own fault I know. Probably did too much and inappropriate footwear. Getting shooting pains down the outside of my right foot since yesterday morning. Not sore to the touch, just when walking. Starting to feel a little sore on the left foot too. Hoping that my hobbling makes Mrs BP take pity on me, make tea and bring me another beer. I can hope. :(

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:55 pm

BP - have you sorted yourself out with proper running trainers suited to your feet? Seriously, mate. Best piece of advice on earth.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:58 pm

Did my last long run today. 10 miles easy(ish) at 8:30 pace. Nothing to do now but wait for the big day and try to rest. How's everyone else? HG?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Well done G. Am dead jealous :cry:

Fortunately, my injury isn't as bad as it could have been - not IT band, piriformis or bursitis which all crossed my mind. Physio reckoned its a bio mechanical thing that resulted in a muscle tear under my hip and running to my pelvis. I've been icing, stretching and cold bathing all weekend. Going to try a 6 mile run tomorrow or Tuesday. If no twinges then I'll be joining you on the starting line albiet with the worst preparation ever! Any twinges or burning sensation and it will be beer in hand cheering you on!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:BP - have you sorted yourself out with proper running trainers suited to your feet? Seriously, mate. Best piece of advice on earth.
Not yet, but not been out since tbf. So what sort of place does one go to, what would one ask for and once one has given ones excuses, where would one go to buy the cheaper version?

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:10 pm

Tobutts, Blackburn Road
Sto ut Serviam

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:15 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:BP - have you sorted yourself out with proper running trainers suited to your feet? Seriously, mate. Best piece of advice on earth.
Not yet, but not been out since tbf. So what sort of place does one go to, what would one ask for and once one has given ones excuses, where would one go to buy the cheaper version?
I believe you have a Decathlon in Bolton? Speak to the advisors there and get them to check your gait. They wil advise you what you need to buy. You can either buy them there or shop online to save a bit of cash.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:20 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Believe it or not - Sports Direct on Middlebrook has an excellent running section. The trainers are colour coded, so if you're a flat-footed-4uckwit like me then you need trainers that are supported in the arch. The three best ever pairs of sports shoes that I've ever bought are Asics running shoes, Lotto football boots and Footjoy golf shoes. Trust me - you'll know exactly where your money's gone.

DON'T run in pub trainers. They're an entirely different animal.
May the bridges I burn light your way