Paralympics

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Paralympics

Post by Always hopeful » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:01 am

Went to the opening session of the athletics yesterday with my family in that there London.

I'm normally quite critical of most things, but I must say that we had a great time and couldn't fault anything; from the volunteers, the security, the facilities and the actual athletics itself. It just goes to show that when we put our minds to it, our country still has what it takes to pull off something to a very high standard.

What was equally impressive were the crowds. The stadium was sold out, which for an opening session of an Olympics would have been incredible, but for an opening day of the Paralympics was unprecedented. Wandering around the packed olympic park afterwards also showed that most, if not all of the other venues were also sold out.

A great day out. Well done to everyone involved.

Come on Team GB!!
Hope is what keeps us going.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Paralympics

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:26 pm

Will follow some of it, but I'm lost in admiration and full of the greatest respect for all those participating.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:03 pm

Am full of admiration for the competitors but I just cant summon any interest for it. To me it's like watching reserve team football. Thankfully I'm in the minority - glad you enjoyed it though AH
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:09 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:To me it's like watching reserve team football.
Think you're confusing the Paralympics with the Olympic football tournament.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:11 pm

Gold medal and a new world record for Ellie Simmonds in the swimming. A better performance than most of our swimming team managed in the Olympics.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:35 pm

BL3 wrote:
No. My fault for not being clearer but the Paralympics to me is like a lesser version of the main event i.e. the Olympics
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:22 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
BL3 wrote:
No. My fault for not being clearer but the Paralympics to me is like a lesser version of the main event i.e. the Olympics
I know what you mean Harry (see what I did there?), but I think the trick is to try and not compare the two events. If you think of the Paralympics as a completely separate stand alone event, then I think you'd be completely blown away with it, as would most people. As it is, the main problem is that it comes on the back of the Olympics and consequently, any event could tend look second best in comparison.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:34 pm

I personally didn't see anything in the Olympics that was as good as Richard Whitehead today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df67gHjSNnE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Incredible

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:53 pm

keveh wrote:I personally didn't see anything in the Olympics that was as good as Richard Whitehead today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df67gHjSNnE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Incredible
He's also the world record holder for the 1/2 and full marathon!!!!!!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:24 pm

keveh wrote:I personally didn't see anything in the Olympics that was as good as Richard Whitehead today:

Incredible
That's very unusual. The competitors seemed to have different blades, different starting techniques, etc. Whitehead looked dead in the water and then came along jet-assisted with prufrock boots. It is certainly not a level playing field as a sport, but as an exemplar for young people triumphing over difficulties it is great to see.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:02 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Incredible
That's very unusual. The competitors seemed to have different blades, different starting techniques, etc. Whitehead looked dead in the water and then came along jet-assisted with prufrock boots. It is certainly not a level playing field as a sport, but as an exemplar for young people triumphing over difficulties it is great to see.
They apparently have a grading system based on degrees of difficulty in doing certain things. It's supposed to equalise things. How far it does I've no idea.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:04 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Wlp1sTnoY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

he'd like some cheese with his whine.

:/

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:32 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Incredible
They apparently have a grading system based on degrees of difficulty in doing certain things. It's supposed to equalise things. How far it does I've no idea.
Yep, there won't just be one 200m competition, they have multiple based upon the limit of your abilities. The blades that runners wear are based upon what their height would be if they were to have legs, so it's not like a 5ft guy can have huge blades.

Either way, there were other double amputee's in that race and they didn't do what he did.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:59 am

it seems cameron and osborne's hopes of some reflected feelgood from the paralympics didn't really work! Both got booed yesterday - cameron at the aquatic centre as his picture appeared on the giant screen sat with the swimmers - and osborne as he gave out medals...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqM0Ube0oLs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it takes a special kind of guy to get yourself booed at such a feelgood happy event

I mean - what on earth have people at an event for disabled people got to boo the coalition for?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:53 am

thebish wrote:it seems cameron and osborne's hopes of some reflected feelgood from the paralympics didn't really work! Both got booed yesterday - cameron at the aquatic centre as his picture appeared on the giant screen sat with the swimmers - and osborne as he gave out medals...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqM0Ube0oLs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it takes a special kind of guy to get yourself booed at such a feelgood happy event

I mean - what on earth have people at an event for disabled people got to boo the coalition for?

Proposed cuts to disabled sports budgets? :conf:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... NLaSeb40pw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:35 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
thebish wrote:it seems cameron and osborne's hopes of some reflected feelgood from the paralympics didn't really work! Both got booed yesterday - cameron at the aquatic centre as his picture appeared on the giant screen sat with the swimmers - and osborne as he gave out medals...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... NLaSeb40pw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it was kind of a rhetorical question - but - yes! - that and the new Dept for Work and Pensions "fitness to work" tests that paralympians were protesting about recently...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:12 pm

thebish wrote:it was kind of a rhetorical question - but - yes! - that and the new Dept for Work and Pensions "fitness to work" tests that paralympians were protesting about recently...
... as ever, it's all in the detail.

You have to deal with sad cases who are feeling hemmed in & in despair ...... while at my end I'm dealing with lazy-arsed fckwits who will abuse any opportunity to avoid doing some work.

Both exist & both need dealing with.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:44 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:it was kind of a rhetorical question - but - yes! - that and the new Dept for Work and Pensions "fitness to work" tests that paralympians were protesting about recently...
... as ever, it's all in the detail.

You have to deal with sad cases who are feeling hemmed in & in despair ...... while at my end I'm dealing with lazy-arsed fckwits who will abuse any opportunity to avoid doing some work.

Both exist & both need dealing with.
you're so trusting of tory good intentions! bless! 8)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:23 pm

thebish wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

it was kind of a rhetorical question - but - yes! - that and the new Dept for Work and Pensions "fitness to work" tests that paralympians were protesting about recently...

Aah, missed that.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:10 pm

snarky political statements about the slightly right.

theres a career in that.

probably in print form.

i'dve hulk hogan-ed the boos, doing the spin up thing he does with his hand before cupping his hand to his ear.

probably while singing "i am a real american"

for the lolz.