Technology Thread.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Technology Thread.

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
IggyTheDawgster wrote:Well I don't personally own a Smartphone, But a few friends have the Iphone and some have others such as HTC and Samsungs. Not having to use iTunes, MicroSD slots for extra memory, larger choice of handsets, Easier PC connections for File management etc seem to be the main arguments I hear in favour of Android. Overall ease of use and customization of Androids OS against Apples is another one that comes up a lot. I've never had a problem using either platform when I've borrowed a friends phone to play around on, But given the choice I think IMO I'd opt for the open Android platform and be able to choose a phone which was tailored to my needs.
Yeah but thats not the average user is it?

Ones that couldn't care less about filesystems and plugging into your PC, and extra memory etc....

Average joe on the street wants something that is easy to use and works out of the box and does all they need immediately.

iPhone wins on that for me. Certainly ease of use, its as good as it gets for me.

Not sure that choice of handsets is relevant, if you want an iPhone, its an iPhone you want....folk don't think 'I want iOS so I need to see what handsets there are'...they think, 'I want an iPhone'....

Itunes is the one thing Apple haven't been able to sort to make it easy to use and intuitive. But I believe they are working on that....
I'd say my friends were average users. I don't get where you think they would be anything other. I would call myself an average user- And for someone who buys loads of Blu-Rays with digital versions for on the go I know that something I can't do with the Iphone is plug it into my laptop and drag across the films to watch on my travels-Yet with a non-iPhone it's really as simple as that, Plug in, Drag, Done. No software to agree to or download, No restrictions on file types etc. It's the same with music, Plus the handset isn't limited to connection with one Computer and doesn't "Sync" and delete libraries when it's introduced to a different machine. I suppose neither is a perfect system, But I'd personally find more ease of use from a Non iPhone handset compared to the Apple option. I don't understand how less freedom and choice is a better thing?
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:42 pm

thebish wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:i didnt know there were any restrictions, ive never had a single problem with an iPhone.
apart from losing the fecker!! (isn't there a "where's my phone" app?)
fair point, had that too, always just said 'your iphone is offline' useless.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:38 am

I have a telephone and fast internet connection at home. I have the same thing at the office (somewhat faster connection). When I'm not at either I don't want to be wired - I just want to do what I'm doing uninterrupted. I do have a cell phone at my wife's insistence but only she and the kids know the number. So I have no opinion of Blackberry versus i-phone (except the former is Canadian so should be be superior). I prefer a quiet life... :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
IggyTheDawgster wrote:Well I don't personally own a Smartphone, But a few friends have the Iphone and some have others such as HTC and Samsungs. Not having to use iTunes, MicroSD slots for extra memory, larger choice of handsets, Easier PC connections for File management etc seem to be the main arguments I hear in favour of Android. Overall ease of use and customization of Androids OS against Apples is another one that comes up a lot. I've never had a problem using either platform when I've borrowed a friends phone to play around on, But given the choice I think IMO I'd opt for the open Android platform and be able to choose a phone which was tailored to my needs.
What is average? There are lots of ways of working out averages with differing results. No one is truly average. Everyone is at least a little different to others in many small ways. You seem to have defined average without really giving the definition.

Ones that couldn't care less about filesystems and plugging into your PC, and extra memory etc....
So lots of people aren't bothered about finding stuff on their phone? people don't run out of space and want a cheap way of expanding it?

Average joe on the street wants something that is easy to use and works out of the box and does all they need immediately.
iPhone doesn't have exclusivity on this you know, despite what the marketing tells you. Plenty of other phones work pretty good out of the box and are fairly intuitive.

iPhone wins on that for me. Certainly ease of use, its as good as it gets for me.
Nowt wrong with that. You have the right phone for you. Doesn't mean it is for others that want a smart phone. I know you haven't explicitly said this, but you imply it.

Not sure that choice of handsets is relevant, if you want an iPhone, its an iPhone you want....folk don't think 'I want iOS so I need to see what handsets there are'...they think, 'I want an iPhone'....
It is very relevant. See, Apple seem to me to be telling you what you can have, when they say you can have it, but on their terms and most importantly with their percentage. It is a business and they've an incredibly successful model. Can't knock them for it. It isn't for me and millions of others either. The main thing with choice is that not everyone wants to spend £400 plus on a phone, or spend £30/40/50/60 a month on a 2 year contract (or whatever the cost is these days). Android and Blackberry offer a choice. You can spend iPhone type money and get an excellent Android phone/experience, or you can get a more basic phone for £100 that gives you smartphone features. Of course it wont be as smooth, quick and likely be more limited. But then not everybody needs to browse the internet on a 4" screen at lightning speed or take 8 megapixel photos. Some folk, and I'm using Bish as an example, may only want to be able to do a bit of email and maybe the odd web page to check something. Plenty of folk with similar needs and a £100 Blackberry would do that just as well as any iPhone or £500 Android. You could argue there is too much choice and fragmentation with Android, but that doesn't mean iPhone is the only worthwhile game in town.

Itunes is the one thing Apple haven't been able to sort to make it easy to use and intuitive. But I believe they are working on that....
They've only had how many years? At the end of the day it doesn't matter. iPhone works for millions of people. For many millions of others it doesn't for a wide variety of reasons. Hence, there is no such thing as an average user :mrgreen:
Just to add on the 'average thing'. Averages for me are largely about statistics and we all know the same statistics can be used to paint differing pictures. Lots of things are designed for the average user to try and maximise it for sales, use etc. Think about any form you have to complete in life. These are designed with average in mind. How often is there not a relevant box or space for what you need to add in? Of course, they can't tailor a form to every individual requirement. I suspect that for every form you'll find that for every person that fits neatly into the form, there will be at least 1 that doesn't. Some might be in a minor way, but some in a more major way. This applies to most things. No one is truly average.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:22 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Average joe on the street wants something that is easy to use and works out of the box and does all they need immediately.

iPhone wins on that for me.
Bang on.
I mean those pesky Android phones that don't work out of the box because you have to sit and solder all the bits together before installing your own operating system and writing some apps are a real pain in the arse aren't they?
Businesswoman of the year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:10 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
What is average? There are lots of ways of working out averages with differing results. No one is truly average. Everyone is at least a little different to others in many small ways. You seem to have defined average without really giving the definition.

So lots of people aren't bothered about finding stuff on their phone? people don't run out of space and want a cheap way of expanding it?

iPhone doesn't have exclusivity on this you know, despite what the marketing tells you. Plenty of other phones work pretty good out of the box and are fairly intuitive.

Nowt wrong with that. You have the right phone for you. Doesn't mean it is for others that want a smart phone. I know you haven't explicitly said this, but you imply it.

It is very relevant. See, Apple seem to me to be telling you what you can have, when they say you can have it, but on their terms and most importantly with their percentage. It is a business and they've an incredibly successful model. Can't knock them for it. It isn't for me and millions of others either. The main thing with choice is that not everyone wants to spend £400 plus on a phone, or spend £30/40/50/60 a month on a 2 year contract (or whatever the cost is these days). Android and Blackberry offer a choice. You can spend iPhone type money and get an excellent Android phone/experience, or you can get a more basic phone for £100 that gives you smartphone features. Of course it wont be as smooth, quick and likely be more limited. But then not everybody needs to browse the internet on a 4" screen at lightning speed or take 8 megapixel photos. Some folk, and I'm using Bish as an example, may only want to be able to do a bit of email and maybe the odd web page to check something. Plenty of folk with similar needs and a £100 Blackberry would do that just as well as any iPhone or £500 Android. You could argue there is too much choice and fragmentation with Android, but that doesn't mean iPhone is the only worthwhile game in town.

They've only had how many years? At the end of the day it doesn't matter. iPhone works for millions of people. For many millions of others it doesn't for a wide variety of reasons. Hence, there is no such thing as an average user :mrgreen:
Just to add on the 'average thing'. Averages for me are largely about statistics and we all know the same statistics can be used to paint differing pictures. Lots of things are designed for the average user to try and maximise it for sales, use etc. Think about any form you have to complete in life. These are designed with average in mind. How often is there not a relevant box or space for what you need to add in? Of course, they can't tailor a form to every individual requirement. I suspect that for every form you'll find that for every person that fits neatly into the form, there will be at least 1 that doesn't. Some might be in a minor way, but some in a more major way. This applies to most things. No one is truly average.
Yeah nobody is forcing any brand of phone down anyone's throats. As you say people with certain requirements will pick a phone accordingly.

And granted for many people spending the monthly iPhone contracts for a new iPhone is simply a waste of money as they have no need for the features they are paying for.

No issue there.

I do have a problem with people who simply won't buy apple stuff (or any brand) because said brand is the market leader. And then start making out that they are some evil corporation forcing people into buying their stuff.

I'd argue that they are the market leader because they appeal to what the 'average' (and that may not be the right word but I mean the mode not the mean I guess) user wants.

If tomorrow someone produced something better for my needs I'd go and get it, and wouldn't care who had made it.

And you keep referring to operating system. The vast majority of people going into a phone shop wouldn't have a clue what operating system their phone uses, nor care. So for me the whole 'choice' thing is rendered a moot point. If someone is weighing up whether they want iOS or Android then sure, one had lots of handsets the other only iPhones. But I don't believe there are very many people who buy phones in that way.

And the numbers sold reflect that. And now I await the inevitable, people only buy Apple cos their marketing campaigns are so good and they are evil and lock people in, response. It's bound to come.

But people buy them cos they are easy to use, identifiable and have the features people want.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:47 am

BWFC_Insane wrote: I do have a problem with people who simply won't buy apple stuff (or any brand) because said brand is the market leader. And then start making out that they are some evil corporation forcing people into buying their stuff.

it seems to me you allow too many trivial things to be a "problem" for you... some people like different phones than the one you like... big fecking deal!! Just let it go... they'll live!!

chill!!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:20 am

BWFC_Insane wrote: And you keep referring to operating system. The vast majority of people going into a phone shop wouldn't have a clue what operating system their phone uses, nor care. So for me the whole 'choice' thing is rendered a moot point. If someone is weighing up whether they want iOS or Android then sure, one had lots of handsets the other only iPhones. But I don't believe there are very many people who buy phones in that way.

And the numbers sold reflect that. And now I await the inevitable, people only buy Apple cos their marketing campaigns are so good and they are evil and lock people in, response. It's bound to come.

But people buy them cos they are easy to use, identifiable and have the features people want.
You see, I disagree there: I think most people know what operating system their phone uses, and most care - I have a Nokia Lumia 710 Windows phone. I get a lot of people who query why I shoud use it based on the fact the older generation Windows phones were pure shit.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:25 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: And you keep referring to operating system. The vast majority of people going into a phone shop wouldn't have a clue what operating system their phone uses, nor care. So for me the whole 'choice' thing is rendered a moot point. If someone is weighing up whether they want iOS or Android then sure, one had lots of handsets the other only iPhones. But I don't believe there are very many people who buy phones in that way.

You see, I disagree there: I think most people know what operating system their phone uses, and most care - I have a Nokia Lumia 710 Windows phone. I get a lot of people who query why I shoud use it based on the fact the older generation Windows phones were pure shit.
i dont even know what you just said.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:41 am

he's saying most folk know what OS their phones run. as he's getting comments from folk pooh-poohing his for running windows 7 when windows 6 were crap.

he's right too. folk might not know what bada or brew are, but they know the big ones. now.

i suppose when yr dropping £500 on something, you kinda have to. you dont wanna 'waste' that kinda money.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:00 am

I'm sure that helped clarifying things for the General. :D
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:49 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

i dont even know what you just said.
What he said, I'm afraid.

I actually do know mine is Blackberry's own Operating System. I iknow this because I just looked it up. I actually thought it was Android !! What the feck 'Android' is and how it differs from any other I have no clue. I just know it's not Apple & my unreasonable antipathy to them is well known.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:55 am

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:48 pm

:mrgreen: Silly Americans. I love Jimmy Kimmel though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:57 am

Does anyone know anything about streaming?

Currently my set up for watching 1080p/720 files is laptop > PS3 via wireless into my HDTV, but I'm thinking about buying either a media player like this - http://www.ebuyer.com/284514-full-hd-10 ... yer-a8-f10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or a media streaming player like this - http://www.ebuyer.com/393823-roku-lt-me ... -roku-2-lt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is it worth it if I already have a PS3? I have two TVs and I'd like to have a set up for both rather than taking my PS3 back and forth. The first link I posted would involve transfering files via storage rather than doing it wirelessly which is a bit of a pain but for £25 you can't really argue, but would it improve picture quality?

The second one I posted doesn't support 1080 files but it's cheaper than the wireless media players that do, and considering I have a PS3 I don't really want to spend too much, but it is another device that I can stream wirelessly.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:19 am

the Western Digital Live things are the popularest of these sortsa things.

dont know what it does fully. but. its probably what youre after.

that roku thing is only 720p btw, the full bestest one is the roku 2 XS -lan ports and everythin' . which is 100 pounds.

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:42 am

Cheers I'll look into it.

Yeah that's what I meant by it doesn't support 1080 files. That's why I'm put off by it but i don't really want to be spending £100.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:23 am

hi there, i'm chris wrote:Cheers I'll look into it.

Yeah that's what I meant by it doesn't support 1080 files. That's why I'm put off by it but i don't really want to be spending £100.
I use a nettop rather than a media player. About 70% of our tv viewing is torrents/streaming. The one I have is connected via HDMI and has dedicated graphics. I also have a remote control with QWERTY keyboard. Works well for me as it is very flexible and is connected 24-7, no faffing.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Downloading iOS6 is a pain.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:17 pm

thebish wrote:Image