The Gardening Bed

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Gardening Bed

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:30 pm

Not really much of a gardner but had a go at a pumpkin plant this year. I have a big feck off pumpkin in my garden! Its green at the moment!

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:58 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Not really much of a gardner but had a go at a pumpkin plant this year. I have a big feck off pumpkin in my garden! Its green at the moment!
Wow, what did you do? Get a seed and whack it in the garden?

I got some butternut squash seeds the other day (while making soup). The BBC guide says to prune some of the leaves so that the fruit gets the sun and can ripen. Maybe it's the same for pumpkin, might be worth checking.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:27 am

has anybody got artificial grass?

my back garden is a relatively maintenance free patio and gravel set-up with borders for plants that i just fill with that bark stuff as it nothing planted in them seems to survive.

There is no restpite with women, we have just finished a big new kitchen/diner project and now shes saying the garden outlook is letting it down. Tbf she has been pestering me to replace the gravel with grass for ages so she can lie on it in summer and the little’un can play on it, but i am convinced it wouldn’t be feasible, the garden doesn’t get an awful lot of sunshine, my neighbours on either side have turf and it really isn’t very nice; gloopy, mossy, muddy. So i imagine we would be constantly trying to keep her and the dog off it so they don’t walk mud in through the house! But the problem still remains, it’s not great for her to play on the gravel so now were looking at the artificial stuff.

But i also have nightmares about this stuff, does it look too artificial, will it puddle, could it stain or burn, would it stink... things like this?

We are also ripping down some shrubs at one end to be replaced with a decking as its a bit of a suntrap and totally wasted, and id like to re-use some of the gravel in the borders with some nice hardy evergreens (that thrive in shade?) and maybe some outdoor lights to frame it all.

sorry, no vegetable patches.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:06 am

General Mannerheim wrote:has anybody got artificial grass?

my back garden is a relatively maintenance free patio and gravel set-up with borders for plants that i just fill with that bark stuff as it nothing planted in them seems to survive.

There is no restpite with women, we have just finished a big new kitchen/diner project and now shes saying the garden outlook is letting it down. Tbf she has been pestering me to replace the gravel with grass for ages so she can lie on it in summer and the little’un can play on it, but i am convinced it wouldn’t be feasible, the garden doesn’t get an awful lot of sunshine, my neighbours on either side have turf and it really isn’t very nice; gloopy, mossy, muddy. So i imagine we would be constantly trying to keep her and the dog off it so they don’t walk mud in through the house! But the problem still remains, it’s not great for her to play on the gravel so now were looking at the artificial stuff.

But i also have nightmares about this stuff, does it look too artificial, will it puddle, could it stain or burn, would it stink... things like this?

We are also ripping down some shrubs at one end to be replaced with a decking as its a bit of a suntrap and totally wasted, and id like to re-use some of the gravel in the borders with some nice hardy evergreens (that thrive in shade?) and maybe some outdoor lights to frame it all.

sorry, no vegetable patches.
I don't have artificial grass, but lots do out here due to the heat and cost of watering it. You get different quality, so some look better than others. Usually the matting has small holes which allows drainage. It goes over 50c here in summer, so isn't going to melt, unless you're not so great with the BBQ :wink: Don't think you'll have problems with smells, just make sure you hose it down if a dog pees on it. Make sure it gets lain properly, otherwise you can spot the joins.

I know you're not keen on veggies, but worth keeping a small bit of space for some. There is some fairly maintenance free stuff, particularly herbs. Rosemary and Thyme don't need any looking after and smell great. Onions take no effort either. Going to try growing a few veggies here once it cools down a bit. Not sure how well it will work though.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:45 pm

Hello, General. I'm not going to offer gratuitous advice about specifics as we live in different climates. On a general (sorry) note though: Have you any idea as to what's under your top-soil? If not, try and find out; there are grasses that are quite happy to grow in shaded areas, some of which are quite soft and suitable for youngsters and sunbathers (mind you you'll still have to mow it.)

Have you got a local nursery handy? Get yourself down there and have a yarn to someone who knows what they're talking about but avoid the gardening sections of the large chains - experience tells me the staff are usually just that and know nothing important about what they are selling. What you seem to be undertaking could be a big, and expensive, exercise - do your homework. Ignoring the grass for the moment - I've said it before but I'll say it again - you can do wonders around a garden or yard with potted plants if you're prepared to take the time to look after them.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:28 am

Dujon wrote:Hello, General. I'm not going to offer gratuitous advice about specifics as we live in different climates. On a general (sorry) note though: Have you any idea as to what's under your top-soil? If not, try and find out; there are grasses that are quite happy to grow in shaded areas, some of which are quite soft and suitable for youngsters and sunbathers (mind you you'll still have to mow it.)

Have you got a local nursery handy? Get yourself down there and have a yarn to someone who knows what they're talking about but avoid the gardening sections of the large chains - experience tells me the staff are usually just that and know nothing important about what they are selling. What you seem to be undertaking could be a big, and expensive, exercise - do your homework. Ignoring the grass for the moment - I've said it before but I'll say it again - you can do wonders around a garden or yard with potted plants if you're prepared to take the time to look after them.
Aye, but. I like using terracotta pots for their aesthetic appeal; I don't like the look of shiny plastic pots/tubs. Now, even if you use glazed pots, the problem with terracotta pots is that they dry out much quicker than plants in the ground would, and therefore you need to spend an inordinate amount of time watering the little buggers. Worth it mind, but a hassle nonetheless.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:37 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Dujon wrote:Hello, General. I'm not going to offer gratuitous advice about specifics as we live in different climates. On a general (sorry) note though: Have you any idea as to what's under your top-soil? If not, try and find out; there are grasses that are quite happy to grow in shaded areas, some of which are quite soft and suitable for youngsters and sunbathers (mind you you'll still have to mow it.)

Aye, but. I like using terracotta pots for their aesthetic appeal; I don't like the look of shiny plastic pots/tubs. Now, even if you use glazed pots, the problem with terracotta pots is that they dry out much quicker than plants in the ground would, and therefore you need to spend an inordinate amount of time watering the little buggers. Worth it mind, but a hassle nonetheless.
Or install an automatic irrigation system. Mine waters the plants and lawn twice a day, 10 minutes each go. Much more water efficient than spraying a hose everywhere.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:43 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

Or install an automatic irrigation system. Mine waters the plants and lawn twice a day, 10 minutes each go. Much more water efficient than spraying a hose everywhere.
You living in some kind of oasis?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:46 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
The desert :mrgreen:

Despite the temperature etc, I'm managing to pay less on average for water than back in the UK. Once it cools down I'll be watering the garden a lot less and be even more quids in. That said, the electricity bill is a bit scarier :(

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:53 am

Thanks.

My back garden is a rubble pit from when they built the houses, with a thin layer of soil on top. i did plant a small umbrella palm tree in the centre when we first moved in which has really prospered! this is giving me an glimmer that the right sort of grass might actualy be ok!

I have however had a gardener round and he took one look at it and wrote it off, even if we excavated and layed a good deep bed of nutritious topsoil he wouldnt guarantee even the hardiest grass would grow well. and of course i want it to look like a bowling green!

the main thing putting me off artificial was the cost, but even that would be cheaper than gambling on the above.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:44 pm

Quote for the artificial grass has come in at £1500! about £30 per m2, fitted. its a bit more than id expected tbh, and ive done a load of ground work now :(

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:54 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
The desert :mrgreen:

Despite the temperature etc, I'm managing to pay less on average for water than back in the UK. Once it cools down I'll be watering the garden a lot less and be even more quids in. That said, the electricity bill is a bit scarier :(

I imagine the lack of tax helps with the "leccy" bill though!
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:46 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:

I imagine the lack of tax helps with the "leccy" bill though!
It helps (currently about £200 a month for leccy), but my rent is about triple what it was. You win on some things here, but lose on plenty others.

Dubai is sort of tax free and there is only really 3 overt taxes I can think of. One is is equivalent to council tax and costs similar. The other 2 are on pork and alcohol. These sit at about 30%. A loin of pork here is in the region of £20 a kilo. There are a lot of 'hidden taxes' here. Financially we are definitely not better off here. But, we have a better lifestyle and I don't have to sit on trains for 4 hours a day, which makes it worth it all in its self! I'm glad we made the move and am looking forward to getting out and about more as the summer heat dies off.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:25 pm

I've just been given three huge tubs of horse shit. Pure unadultered horseshit with no shavings or other detrimental additives. I'm in horseshit heaven, and shall liberally apply it to my veggie bins this weekend.
Question: do I just lay it on top to weather in over winter, like a mulch; or should I dig it in, and if so how far down - top layer, 1 spit, double dig????
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:45 pm

Manure usually needs to rot down before adding to veggie plots. I take it you have taken up all the veg by now or else it should be well rotted manure before adding. If you are preparing for next year it will be OK to add now but all the 'goodness' may be washed out by next spring.

If I get some fresh stuff I put it on my compost heap first to rot down. You may save some of the nutrients that way.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:04 pm

malcd1 wrote:Manure usually needs to rot down before adding to veggie plots. I take it you have taken up all the veg by now or else it should be well rotted manure before adding. If you are preparing for next year it will be OK to add now but all the 'goodness' may be washed out by next spring.

If I get some fresh stuff I put it on my compost heap first to rot down. You may save some of the nutrients that way.
Ok. I'll compost first then add in spring. Ta.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:17 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
malcd1 wrote:Manure usually needs to rot down before adding to veggie plots. I take it you have taken up all the veg by now or else it should be well rotted manure before adding. If you are preparing for next year it will be OK to add now but all the 'goodness' may be washed out by next spring.

I've read some shit on here.............. :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:22 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

I've read some shit on here.............. :?
What? :conf:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:47 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:Not really much of a gardner but had a go at a pumpkin plant this year. I have a big feck off pumpkin in my garden! Its green at the moment!

I got some butternut squash seeds the other day (while making soup). The BBC guide says to prune some of the leaves so that the fruit gets the sun and can ripen. Maybe it's the same for pumpkin, might be worth checking.
just seen this!
yes just bashed some seeds in. I've ledt it growing the plants gone mental and since the last post a new pumpkin has grown bigger than the last one! So two pumpkins!!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:23 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:

just seen this!
yes just bashed some seeds in. I've ledt it growing the plants gone mental and since the last post a new pumpkin has grown bigger than the last one! So two pumpkins!!
I know a bit about pumpkins - if you're after a whopper, you should restrict the pumpkins to one per plant, and don't grow another plant anywhere within four foot of each other.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください