Oh just lay off crouch will you

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:18 pm

crouch has scored 16 points, which puts him below Beattie and Walter Pandiani amongst others

and way below SKD who's on a loft 36, only 3 behind henry and the same as one michael owen

lies, damned lies and statistics

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:18 pm

keveh wrote:has anybody mentioned that Crouch nearly wrestled Owen away from that cross at the weekend?
Surely you mean "took the defender out, allowing Owen in", as our estemeed Liverpudlian friend stated. :roll:
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:36 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
keveh wrote:has anybody mentioned that Crouch nearly wrestled Owen away from that cross at the weekend?
Surely you mean "took the defender out, allowing Owen in", as our estemeed Liverpudlian friend stated. :roll:
Not what I stated at all. I said that Crouch was marked and Owen was left free. Really, if you're going to bastardise what I say at least get the meaning correct. Anyone can paraphrase and twist someone else's words :roll:

And yes, I did see Crouch go for the header, fortunately for England Owen stuck it away anyway.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:40 pm

blurred wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:
Not what I stated at all. I said that Crouch was marked and Owen was left free. Really, if you're going to bastardise what I say at least get the meaning correct. Anyone can paraphrase and twist someone else's words :roll:

And yes, I did see Crouch go for the header, fortunately for England Owen stuck it away anyway.
He bundled into him, I thought he was trying to rugby tackle him! Open your eyes man, see the light!
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:51 pm

Or maybe Crouch was just trying to give him a boost so Owen could head the ball?

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:54 pm

in fairness his legs were on the other corner of the penalty box, it was just his head and shoulders which got near owen, not enough strength there to hustle england's finest off the ball

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:07 pm

Well, after Crouch's "performance" at Pompey, I felt it was time to resurrect this thread. Stupid decision by Crouch to take the penalty. I understand it's frustrating for a striker to be unable to get off the mark but he shouldn't do so at the expense of the team. Did anyone here think he was going to bury it when he stepped up? I sure didn't. I would have bet my car on him missing. Here's what Crouch had to say:

"I pretty much made the decision about who was going to take the penalty. I wasn't going to hide when it was given. That's something I will never do."

Bad choice. He had a ton of better options: Gerrard, Garcia, Cisse, etc. Say what you want about Davies but I don't think he'd do something that dumb. He's for the team, not himself. You'll remember it was Speed who took the dot-shot at City.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:28 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Well, after Crouch's "performance" at Pompey, I felt it was time to resurrect this thread. Stupid decision by Crouch to take the penalty. I understand it's frustrating for a striker to be unable to get off the mark but he shouldn't do so at the expense of the team. Did anyone here think he was going to bury it when he stepped up? I sure didn't. I would have bet my car on him missing. Here's what Crouch had to say:

"I pretty much made the decision about who was going to take the penalty. I wasn't going to hide when it was given. That's something I will never do."

Bad choice. He had a ton of better options: Gerrard, Garcia, Cisse, etc. Say what you want about Davies but I don't think he'd do something that dumb. He's for the team, not himself. You'll remember it was Speed who took the dot-shot at City.
very good point. in hindsight ok they went to win the game 3-0 but how often have we seen it where Zenden's header gets saved, pompey get a kick up the arse and snatch results

we mayb a long ball team but at least we're a team

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:33 pm

Will post a proper reply to this when I'm not in work - had a feeling this might rear its ugly head, and, surprise surprise, I will be defending the lad (to a point).

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:35 pm

I think you have to credit the Goalkeeper for a fine save rather than to have a pop at Crouch. He hit it hard, low and on target, there was nothing more that he could do. I must say though, I'm beginning to feel a little sorry for him now, that said, I'm sure I won't do on 2nd Jan.
May the bridges I burn light your way

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:32 pm

you're blind if you're gonna defend him on this one

he will never get better chances to score goals. if you think crouch is a player worthy of your red strip then the glory days are well and truly over

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:58 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:you're blind if you're gonna defend him on this one
Oh yeah, that's right, it was you who was sat on the Kop and watched 90 minutes of his performance on Saturday and not me... :roll:

Will post properly post-work, as I said...

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:21 pm

Righty, my thoughts on the game (and how it could be perceived from the outside).

You'll see that Nando scored and obviously played well, and that Crouch has had another stinker. People will just automatically jump to these conclusions based on a missed pen and a goal for the other. Quite the reverse is true. Crouch was if not our best player then our second best on the day. I'd personally give my man of the match to Zenden who was always a threat, but it was a close run thing. He caused their backline a lot of problems, brought players into the game well, and penalty notwithstanding he was unlucky not to score from at least two other good opportunities when Ashdown (their MOM) saved well, especially the one handed effort in the first half. Morientes on the other hand I was not so impressed with, didn't really do all that much, but gets a goal at the end.

Yes, he still hasn't scored, and yes that does carry a certain stigma to it for an expensive striker. When the penalty was awarded I was firstly thinking 'wa-hey, here we go, great chance for a 1-0 and also Gerrard to score for my fantasy league side'. Once we all saw Crouchy pick the ball up, however, the whole atmosphere changed. The expectation and the hope of everyone there that he would score was almost palpable. I was gutted for the lad when the 'keeper saved it, and even the celebration after Zenden nodded in the rebound seemed a tad muted. He has got the support of the fans, and as long as he continues to play how he has been (especially in the last few games) he always will.

If Crouch was that bad a player, you would see and hear countless Liverpool fans calling for him to be dropped, saying he was crap and useless and a waste of money, but that just isn't the case. The only people who are calling for his head and stirring this whole thing up is the media. The vast majority of match-going reds see the effort and the good work that he puts in, and how well he generally performs and are ok with it. He will score eventually, and obviously the longer it goes on the bigger a deal it becomes. Personally I think he's got a lot of bollocks to step up there and take the pen off the likes of Gerrard (scored the last one we took) and Cissé (never missed one for Liverpool). For what it's worth, it wasn't that bad a penno (as was said above) and the 'keeper did well to get down to it and save it.

It's easy to sit there and watch MOTD like every other cock and two bollocks up and down the country and pass judgement over 5 minutes of VT, but please keep your half-baked opinions to yourself if you know not of what you speak. Comments like
you're blind if you're gonna defend him on this one
are just a load of shite and not really worth bothering debating. If you want to watch the game and explain why you thought he had a poor performance then fine, but I'm not going to sit here and say that Rooney was shite and should have scored against Charlton just on the basis of what I've seen on the telly. I think we are all intelligent enough to know that while 'goals pay the rent' there are other things to football, and yes the goal-scorers and the spectacular flashy players always get the plaudits but there's an awful lot of 'water-carriers' out there that every team needs and whose contributions are just as vital. The two less lauded players at Anfield in recent seasons have been Carragher and Hamann - I'm sure there are those at Bolton who are just as important. While Crouch hasn't been banging them in (I believe I read that's his 16th appearance for us, not sure how many of them were as sub) he has added to the team that isn't under-performing as everyone would have us believe.

Crouch will get goals eventually, but the only reason to drop him is if he's offering nothing to the team, and, on recent evidence, that's not true. I'm still behind the lad, and hope he proves all the doubting Liverpool fans (and scornful opposition supporters) wrong.

plodder
Promising
Promising

Post by plodder » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:45 pm

Stand up for your man blurred.

I defend Pedersen all the time and get slated as well, hang on. Bugger they are all right.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:25 am

plodder wrote:Stand up for your man blurred.

I defend Pedersen all the time and get slated as well, hang on. Bugger they are all right.
Pedersen cost £650,000 to my recollection. Crouch cost £7 million. If Pedersen was playing regularaly he would have outscored Crouch. You'll also noticed he left the penalty to Speed at City, despite the fact that he earned it, so he's smarter than Crouch as well.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:56 am

fair dos im not gonna argue with someone who's been and seen etc

it's all good for a neutral watching it evolve at the mo. however i do have a concern with crouch in that our national manager thinks he's good enough and i'm still waiting to see it

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:32 am

H. Pedersen wrote: Pedersen cost £650,000 to my recollection. Crouch cost £7 million. If Pedersen was playing regularaly he would have outscored Crouch. You'll also noticed he left the penalty to Speed at City, despite the fact that he earned it, so he's smarter than Crouch as well.
Or perhaps he bottled it? And yes, Crouch was expensive - partly due to him being flavour of the month (ok, season) and partly because he's young and English. Who did Pedersen sign from?

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:36 am

hisroyalgingerness wrote: it's all good for a neutral watching it evolve at the mo. however i do have a concern with crouch in that our national manager thinks he's good enough and i'm still waiting to see it
Well as I've said above, he's obviously got something going for him otherwise Rafa wouldn't have spent that much money on him, and Sven wouldn't be picking him in the squad. And before people jump on the bandwagon of 'he's only picked because he plays for Liverpool' he actually won his first call-up and cap when playing for Southampton.

I think part of the problem is that when Crouch comes on people moan and bitch if the team reverts to a direct style and he's just winning headers and stuff and say that they should play more passing football, but then when they do, they complain that people aren't using Crouch's height and advantage... He's actually quite a skillful player, or maybe it just seems that because he has to control those massive limbs, and his control and touch is pretty damn good. The lad will come good, I'm sure, and reckon he'll be an interesting asset to the England squad in Germany

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:41 pm

I'm just wondering. Do you think that Gary Glitter's last request will be to be shot by Peter Crouch? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:20 pm

Crouch is a decent enough Player. people here need to remember that Sam wanted him several times. I too think he will come good, and as someone whoi appreciates a player that links the team up, and Knows that Crouch is better with his feet than in the air, I feel your pain in defending against the same arguments blurred.

Pedersen came from the Danish leagues to answer that question.