Sandy, Bloody Sandy

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Sandy, Bloody Sandy

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:30 pm

It's getting rather wet and windy round these parts. It could of course be worse - I could be in New York. We are not expecting to be in the centre of things for a day or two, by which time one hopes the fury will be abated and there is no sea to flood our subway system. Sandy is a surprise since hurricanes usual stick to the coast where they belong, but this one is projected to head up the Hudson valley then go North-West up the St. Lawrence right over us. I hope the roof stays on.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Sandy, Bloody Sandy

Post by boltonboris » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:45 pm

All the best with it mate.. Try and post us some pictures. It terrible as these natural disasters are, they also intriguing.

I hope that doesn't make me a bad person.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:44 pm

Survived it in Maine. Lots of wind and little rain for us. Geography for once helping us out. These things are scary and their ability to hang on over areas with high winds is nerve wracking.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:04 pm

You think you've got problems? Its not easy over here you know! I opened the back door this morning to this scene of utter devastation!

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:30 pm

hurricane ballbag were worse

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:34 pm

:oops:
To date this has been one of the great anticlimaxes of our times. Apart from a lot of wind and rain on Monday night, we've had nothing but bluish skies and warm weather. We hear of women getting killed because of high winds in Toronto and devastation elsewhere, but Montreal looks better than Clapton's patio atm.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:47 pm

I hope it's not the lull, Monty. From the little I've read to date the northeast of the U.S. of A. and southeast of your country have copped a right proper battering. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't drift as far west as Montreal. Good luck.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:11 pm

An interview on't cat's whisker today with a flood engineer referred to his "unwatering" team being hard at work in Manhatten.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:51 pm

Dujon wrote:I hope it's not the lull, Monty. From the little I've read to date the northeast of the U.S. of A. and southeast of your country have copped a right proper battering. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't drift as far west as Montreal. Good luck.
Actually, Dujon, it appeared to pass to the West of us, getting Ontario as far West as Sarnia (which is about the same longitude as Detroit. It was supposed to head up the St. Lawrence valley right over Montreal, but took a left turn somewhere and is off towards Hudson's Bay. At this point is has been twice downgraded from Hurricane to Tropical Storm and now Post Tropical Storm. I think I can say at this point that Montreal has dodged the bullet.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:18 pm

Good news, sir, I'd hate for that nice tower of yours to fall over. ;)

Passionate
Passionate

Post by 2399 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:13 am

My Mum's Boss has gone over to New York New York for the Marathon

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:48 pm

2399 wrote:My Mum's Boss has gone over to New York New York for the Marathon
It's been cancelled, hasn't it?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:11 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Yes

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:21 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Yes

Friend of mine is (was) over there. She posted to say that on Tuesday it was still on. On Wednesday the Expo was in full swing and tills were ringing late into the night selling merchandise and souvenirs and all the other paraphernalia you get at events like this. Thursday morning it was cancelled.

Call me cynical but surely they knew before Thursday that the race would have to be cancelled. Is this just a ploy by the organisers to generate as much money as possible to limit the impact on their insurance when paying refunds to the masses who slogged their way over?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:21 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Yes

Friend of mine is (was) over there. She posted to say that on Tuesday it was still on. On Wednesday the Expo was in full swing and tills were ringing late into the night selling merchandise and souvenirs and all the other paraphernalia you get at events like this. Thursday morning it was cancelled.

Call me cynical but surely they knew before Thursday that the race would have to be cancelled. Is this just a ploy by the organisers to generate as much money as possible to limit the impact on their insurance when paying refunds to the masses who slogged their way over?

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:43 am

Call me a cynic but posting it twice is just a ruse to get attention...
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:55 am

David Lee's Hair wrote:Call me a cynic but posting it twice is just a ruse to get attention...
Call me a cynic but pointing out that Gary the Enfield posted twice as a ruse to get attention is in itself just a ruse to get attention.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:20 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
David Lee's Hair wrote:Call me a cynic but posting it twice is just a ruse to get attention...
Call me a cynic but pointing out that Gary the Enfield posted twice as a ruse to get attention is in itself just a ruse to get attention.
Cynic!
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:52 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Cynic!

:lol:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:57 pm

In response to your second post, Gary, I think it was more muddled politics than greed. The politicos wanted everything to return to normal quickly and show how New York can recover, so it was on. Many, many voting citizens were seriously pissed off they would go ahead with an event when everything was screwed up, and let the politicos know in no uncertain terms, so it was off.