The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by mrkint » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:56 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
mrkint wrote: I've started doing my proper gym training now, with actual focused exercises and stuff, not just running a bit and lifting heavy things for a bit. For fat-burning i've started doing 90sec 15kph sprints on the treadmill followed by a recovery of the same time, 5-10 times. Well, in theory...I managed three today before my right leg decided it had had enough. Not an injury as such but it just seemed like it wasn't used to running. Annoying, but I guess to be expected. But I can already feeel improvements little by little. And by christ does that little treadmill drill burn the fat off you.
Interesting... do you set this up as a program on the treadmill? And is the recovery standing or walking?

Btw, I watched 'the' match last night - has anyone ever told you you bear a resemblance to Michael Carrick (though I'm sure you wouldn't have missed the Modric tackle like that...)?
You set it manually, though I sat down with a gym instructor before that, talked about what I wanted to achieve and he talked me through exercises aimed at obtaining them. This treadmill drill was just one of them. Though I found out this morning when I checked my program card that it should be 60secs 15kph and 90 sec recovery, not t'other way round. No wonder I was blowing out my arse yesterday.

The recovery is walking, but at a brisk pace - so like, 6.5kph or 7kph. The idea is that it keeps your heart rate at about 90% of your maximum, which is the optimum for burning fat. Apparently. You can definitely feel it though, and you get through a lot of work in 15 minutes. Add some other exercises after that and all is grand.

Haha, no they haven't - but that makes it the third footballer I've been told I look like! They must all be related to me. Somehow :|

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:31 pm

Who is the third, Diniyar?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:34 pm

Prufrock wrote:Who is the third, Diniyar?
Mark Davies, apparently.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:24 pm

Did Week 3, Run 1 today. Did it on a treadmill though and it didn't really feel like I'd done much at the end of it, so, I did it again 8)
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:33 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Did Week 3, Run 1 today. Did it on a treadmill though and it didn't really feel like I'd done much at the end of it, so, I did it again 8)
and this time turned it on?? :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:00 pm

mrkint wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Who is the third, Diniyar?
Mark Davies, apparently.
I must admit I'm far, far from convinced about Carrick, but Mark Davies?! Dear Lord, that's worse than some random girl on a train telling me I looked like Alex Turner.

Diniyar though, well, you've yet to be spotted in the same room together.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:52 pm

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Did Week 3, Run 1 today. Did it on a treadmill though and it didn't really feel like I'd done much at the end of it, so, I did it again 8)
:lol:

Rumbled!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:46 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:
:lol:

Rumbled!
Once overheard someone asking directions to the gym, "I've got to go up the stairs! is there no lift?" :|
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:10 am

From the high of completing my first marathon in January to the low of a long period of inactivity. Ruptured my Achilles in a "fun" volleyball tournament last weekend. Had the surgery on Friday and now a cast on my leg. No fun. A right pain in the arse. (You didn't know the Achilles went that far up, did you?)

And there'll always be that nagging doubt that it could go again when/if I start running again.

Anyhow, worse things happen at sea.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:26 pm

My brother had that injury when he was a kid. He did it at Lilleshall trialing for a place with England Schoolboys.

It was never the same and he had to pack in playing serious football by the time he was 17. He was fvckin mustard too. He reckons he can still feel it when he's out walking his dog, which is about the sum total of physical output nowadays.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:29 pm

Winter Hill White wrote:From the high of completing my first marathon in January to the low of a long period of inactivity. Ruptured my Achilles in a "fun" volleyball tournament last weekend. Had the surgery on Friday and now a cast on my leg. No fun. A right pain in the arse. (You didn't know the Achilles went that far up, did you?)

And there'll always be that nagging doubt that it could go again when/if I start running again.

Nightmare mate. That sounds damn painful - was it?

Rest & lots of physio I imagine would be your best bet. I'm feeling your pain. I'm desperate to get back running but determined not to rush back. I've paid in advance for 4 long distance races this year. 2 which I've already had to miss, the 3rd is this Sunday and is looking unlikely. Just hope I'm back in time for the last one, the marathon in May :(
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:15 pm

At least it doesn't affect my career like Boris's unfortunate brother. Also I've got a physio living next door to me, so that's handy. And the surgeon who did the op seemed to know his stuff - his former patients included two Presidents of India, Anil Kumble and the Dalai Lama!!
Now, can I still manage to fulfil my other sporting commitments. Anyone ever played darts on crutches?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Winter Hill White wrote:At least it doesn't affect my career like Boris's unfortunate brother. Also I've got a physio living next door to me, so that's handy. And the surgeon who did the op seemed to know his stuff - his former patients included two Presidents of India, Anil Kumble and the Dalai Lama!!
Now, can I still manage to fulfil my other sporting commitments. Anyone ever played darts on crutches?
I have never played darts on crutches, but I know somebody who had a badly broken leg and played darts. He practised while sitting on a bar stool and became so good at it that he used it in matches for the duration. So long as the bar stool's behind the oche there's no rule that disallows it. You just need teammates to position and remove the stool as appropriate.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:24 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Winter Hill White wrote:From the high of completing my first marathon in January to the low of a long period of inactivity. Ruptured my Achilles in a "fun" volleyball tournament last weekend. Had the surgery on Friday and now a cast on my leg. No fun. A right pain in the arse. (You didn't know the Achilles went that far up, did you?)

Nightmare mate. That sounds damn painful - was it?
It was remarkably innocuous actually. It just felt like a dull thud in the back of my ankle - like somebody had thrown a ball at it. My leg gave way a bit and it hurt a bit, but not the agony that I would have always thought a ruptured Achilles would involve. Also I walked round on it for a few days afterwards which probably wasn't very helpful.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:28 pm

Playing football tonight for the first time since I was 18 (that was quite a long time ago) so expecting injuries and probably death.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:26 am

Good Luck with the recovery WHW. I had a similair injury 10 years ago but I tore it rather than snapped it. Luckily I didn't need surgery but I had a bruise from Ankle to thigh where it bled out.

Anyway, Tuesday night at the track I volunteered to help one of our coaches with her badges by taking part in one of her sessions.

With a partner we ran 8 x 400 metres in relay. Whilst the partner ran the second leg we did core work.

First set of four we did:
400m then pressups
400m then squats
400m then plank
400m then rest

Midway we did

10x One hand pressups
10x Burpees
10x Lunges

Then we repeated the first set with core exercises.

Happy with my times. First 400 was 1:17 (too fast)
The rest of the time I averaged 1:30 and was more comfortable.

Wednesday I was so sore I could barely walk up or down the stairs. Thursday was worse.

Today is much better but I have committed to doing this for the next three weeks. I hope it gets easier. I suspect it won't.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:37 am

That sounds absolutely horrific. In a good way, like. Can't imagine how that felt! However, doing that for the next three weeks will certainly do more harm than good, I'd hope. What were the core exercises in the second set, out of interest, GtE? Same as the first?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:42 am

mrkint wrote:That sounds absolutely horrific. In a good way, like. Can't imagine how that felt! However, doing that for the next three weeks will certainly do more harm than good, I'd hope. What were the core exercises in the second set, out of interest, GtE? Same as the first?

Yes, the same. And it was for the whole time your partner was doing the lap. Felt sorry for the slower runners who were taking up to 2:15 for the 400m. :shock:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:50 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:Good Luck with the recovery WHW. I had a similair injury 10 years ago but I tore it rather than snapped it. Luckily I didn't need surgery but I had a bruise from Ankle to thigh where it bled out.

Anyway, Tuesday night at the track I volunteered to help one of our coaches with her badges by taking part in one of her sessions.

With a partner we ran 8 x 400 metres in relay. Whilst the partner ran the second leg we did core work.

First set of four we did:
400m then pressups
400m then squats
400m then plank
400m then rest

Midway we did

10x One hand pressups
10x Burpees
10x Lunges

Then we repeated the first set with core exercises.

Happy with my times. First 400 was 1:17 (too fast)
The rest of the time I averaged 1:30 and was more comfortable.

Wednesday I was so sore I could barely walk up or down the stairs. Thursday was worse.

Today is much better but I have committed to doing this for the next three weeks. I hope it gets easier. I suspect it won't.

:pray: you are the demi-god, Ironman of fitlandia!

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:57 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
mrkint wrote:That sounds absolutely horrific. In a good way, like. Can't imagine how that felt! However, doing that for the next three weeks will certainly do more harm than good, I'd hope. What were the core exercises in the second set, out of interest, GtE? Same as the first?

Yes, the same. And it was for the whole time your partner was doing the lap. Felt sorry for the slower runners who were taking up to 2:15 for the 400m. :shock:
Ouch, ouch and double ouch.

Having said that I might give (a slightly modified version) of that a go at the gym today...

So far I've just been focusing a lot on fat-burning and core/upper body strength. Getting there, slowly. There's one exercise I do using a ViPR which is a good little all-body un. start with it on the floor, squat next to it. Stand and lift it, pulling it to chin height. Then squat down a gain before powering up and lifting the bar above your head. Repeat ten times or for one minute. Doe that thrice. You feel that in the morning.