Summer Holidays

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Summer Holidays

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 28, 2013 7:47 am

clapton is god wrote:^ Not bad if you like that sort of thing :wink:

Gorgeous place and I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end.
Cheers Clapton. It was a bit of a stress, but luckily it turned out right in the end. As I didn't have to pay again for the holiday I splashed out on some massages and stuff in the spa :mrgreen:

NP44
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by NP44 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:39 am

Hargate that's as far as i'm going this year.
'I know he's a popular player but we think this is taking things too far. Somewhere in Bolton there's someone with a John McGinlay tree in their garden!' Super John's Wife.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue May 28, 2013 11:08 am

Last minute trip to Rome booked. Head off next week. Between now and then camping in Loch Ness!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu May 30, 2013 11:41 am

jimbo wrote:Last minute trip to Rome booked. Head off next week. Between now and then camping in Loch Ness!
Much more comfortable camping beside it :wink:
Whereabouts, down south by Fort Augustus and the pub next to the canal*
or up north by Urquhart Caste and the lesser spotted Nessie spotters?

[* I once, in the days just after extended hours became law, pitched my tent and rushed over to the pub as it was close to 11 o'clock. As I got to the bar I asked the landlord for a pint of heavy and inquired when he'd be closing. With a dour Scots accent he replied "aboot October laddie". I got completely wrecked and staggered back to my tent about four in the morning with the rest of the pub still going strong. I highly recommend it: the pub, not the getting wrecked]
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu May 30, 2013 5:23 pm

We generally prefer a week either end of summer rather than a fortnight in the middle, we went to Rhodes a few weeks ago but the mrs is up the spout now which means she can't fly past mid July so she's just booked us a week in Tenerife. Good thing is we fly the same day I get back from 4 days mountain biking in the Alps, so that will be a tremendous little break for me!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu May 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
jimbo wrote:Last minute trip to Rome booked. Head off next week. Between now and then camping in Loch Ness!

[* I once, in the days just after extended hours became law, pitched my tent and rushed over to the pub as it was close to 11 o'clock. As I got to the bar I asked the landlord for a pint of heavy and inquired when he'd be closing. With a dour Scots accent he replied "aboot October laddie". I got completely wrecked and staggered back to my tent about four in the morning with the rest of the pub still going strong. I highly recommend it: the pub, not the getting wrecked]
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu May 30, 2013 11:44 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

Down by Fort Augustus. Spent the night in the pub you describe. Good fun and perfect weather for it.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri May 31, 2013 8:28 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

:lol:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

sicily4u
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by sicily4u » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:45 am

For summer holidays many Italians, as well as people from abroad, choose Sicilian beaches, which in many cases are every bit as beautiful as the most exotic ones. Sicily has some beautiful beaches including in Catania. If you love scenic beauty then Sicily has it all. It is a great place including if you are looking for somewhere to go diving on your vacation. If you are looking for a relaxing holiday then the slow pace of life in Sicily might be perfect for you.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:16 am

^^^

Well, he may just be selling simething but you have to admire this guy's work ethic .... not just posting on here but into this specific thread !!

Now, just need to find a Sicilian holiday that's even close to affordable and accessible and we've cracked it !!!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:22 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^^^

Well, he may just be selling simething but you have to admire this guy's work ethic .... not just posting on here but into this specific thread !!

Now, just need to find a Sicilian holiday that's even close to affordable and accessible and we've cracked it !!!
Is it one of them kitchens?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:43 am

Back from Italy late last night. 6 days in Capri, with a trip out to Herculaneum on the 4th day, and 2 days in Naples at the end of the week. Fantastic.

Might be beans on toast for the rest of the month after the money we got through though. Christ.

Wall to wall sunshine, so that was great. Two big disappointments of the trip for me - firstly, Herculaneum was not worth the expense and effort involved in the return trip to the mainland and down the coast. Almost nothing has been left in situ and the authorities are not doing a good job of preserving the site as it as. Apparently it has been seriously underfunded since about 2006 and sadly it shows. Secondly, my girlfriend and I both love a bit of live music and were disappointed not to find any jazz or Neopolitan crooning available at any item in the whole week, both on the island and in Naples on Weds night (and not for want of extensively researched trying).
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:26 pm

That's such a shame about Herculaneum! Was fab when I was there with school, maybe 2003. Christ that's ten years ago.

Enough of the disapointments though, the trip must have had some redemption beyond just the sun!

I'm off to Tenerife for a week on Friday, can't wait!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Prufrock wrote:That's such a shame about Herculaneum! Was fab when I was there with school, maybe 2003. Christ that's ten years ago.

imagine!!! being at school a whole TEN YEARS ago!! :shock:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:47 pm

thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote:That's such a shame about Herculaneum! Was fab when I was there with school, maybe 2003. Christ that's ten years ago.

imagine!!! being at school a whole TEN YEARS ago!! :shock:
Aye .... I remember when they applied for planning permission to build Herculaneum.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:52 pm

Enough of the disapointments though, the trip must have had some redemption beyond just the sun!

It was brilliant - just what I needed. Sorry to sound like a miserable bastard! The slow life on Capri was very enjoyable (though oddly I found myself too tired to read much). Got most of the way through Alain de Botton on Proust (recommended) and that was it. Sadly I was unable to source WtW's recommendation before I left, and I don't like reading proper books on an iPad.

Two hectics days in Naples were very interesting two - the mrs could just about two days of art galleries and archaeological museums if punctuated by pizza and beers.

Herculaneum... let's discuss this over a beer soon. I had heard good things about it but was really quite disappointed. Have you been the British Museum by the way? I went but stupidly didn't have enough time to do it justice, and all the convenient times are pretty much booked up for another visit. I'm thinking of becoming a member plus guest card for £75, meaning I can turn up with a +1 whenever I fancy it, and charging my mates £10 (which is less than the ticket price anyway) to recoup some of the cost. Are you up for that?!
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:08 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:

It was brilliant - just what I needed. Sorry to sound like a miserable bastard! The slow life on Capri was very enjoyable (though oddly I found myself too tired to read much). Got most of the way through Alain de Botton on Proust (recommended) and that was it. Sadly I was unable to source WtW's recommendation before I left, and I don't like reading proper books on an iPad.

Two hectics days in Naples were very interesting two - the mrs could just about two days of art galleries and archaeological museums if punctuated by pizza and beers.

Herculaneum... let's discuss this over a beer soon. I had heard good things about it but was really quite disappointed. Have you been the British Museum by the way? I went but stupidly didn't have enough time to do it justice, and all the convenient times are pretty much booked up for another visit. I'm thinking of becoming a member plus guest card for £75, meaning I can turn up with a +1 whenever I fancy it, and charging my mates £10 (which is less than the ticket price anyway) to recoup some of the cost. Are you up for that?!
It costs money to get into the British Museum?
When did that happen :(
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:23 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:

It costs money to get into the British Museum?
I think it's still free but you have to pay for certain special exhibits.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:33 am

mrkint wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:It costs money to get into the British Museum?
I think it's still free but you have to pay for certain special exhibits.
Ah.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:58 am

Indeed. We are out of step with pretty much the rest of the world in having free access to the National Gallery, British Museum etc, but special exhibitions at all of these places tend to be ticketed at a cost of £10-£15 (without any kind of membership or Art Fund card).